What is this noise? (EHX Black Finger issue)

Bob Doom

• Members

Link to sound

So, over the summer, I bought a second-hand mint condition EHX Black Finger. It's been my go-to ever since. The past few days, I've heard this annoying noise coming out of it. I thought it might be a power-issue because I had my DMM plugged in. Unplugging the DMM seemed to work the first time. A few days later, it came back.

I thought maybe it was some kind of interference with the small Vox combo. So I unplugged the amp, ran the BF into a mixer, tried different cables, outlets, and anything else I could think of. Nothing has stopped it. It only happens when this pedal is on and now it's been consistent.

If anyone is willing to subject their ears to some horrible white noise for a few seconds, I'd really appreciate any input. I did a rough recording through the mixer. The output gain is cranked, so it's noisier, but it's that distinct clock/dial-up noise that's bugging me.

The only solution I can think of is to replace the tubes, because the noise is new and the preamp gain doesn't sound as sweet... but that could be my imagination. I really hope it's nothing wrong with the actual circuit. It was a dream pedal up until now.

• Members

Be careful if you open it up. There are some nasty voltages in there. Be sure to wait a while after powering it up to prod around.

I'm a huge fan of the EHX tube series... all of them... but the construction is sometimes questionable. The 3pdt switch is literally squashed in among other components without any room to budge. It's possible that something came loose there.

• Members

Eek. Yeah, I'm hoping it's nothing in the pedal. If it's a loose bit, that's one thing... but I've never heard a cycling noise like that and this is my only tube pedal. It's lot more intimidating than a bad switch in a Crybaby.

• Members

Sounds like the clock from the Memory Man(?) So when you remove the memory man it stops? Grounding issues?
Doubt its your tubes, but wiggle them in a bit in the socket. Maybe they came unseated. My English Muff'n came with a bad tube out of the box new. Didn't sound like that though....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doom

View Post

The noise in the clip is the Black Finger plugged directly into the mixer with a 6" patch. There are no amps, guitars, or pedals adding to it. I'm stumped and severely bummed out about it.

EHX's repair services have been very reliable for me, and quick as well. Even if it's your last resort, it's a good one.

• Members

Shameless bump. I signed up for EHX's board and asked in the help/tech Questions forum... no dice. I sent a question to the email address listed and I'm hoping to hear back.

Here's my dilemma. I'm tempted to buy a cmatmods Signa-comp from PGS while I can still use the -$25 coupon. That would be a pretty fantastic compressor for $135, if there's nothing I can do for my Black Finger. If I'm lucky and it's as simple as replacing the tubes, I can obviously get away with only $30 worth of tubes. It's just a shame because the BF is such a fantastic pedal, when it was working. I'd love it have it working again but if it's going to be costly, I'd rather switch to a solid-state compressor I can run at 9v.

So, anybody have any more thoughts? Has anyone heard that rhythmic noise in any other piece of gear? Is there a way to narrow it down to a probable cause?

• Members

Shameless bump. I signed up for EHX's board and asked in the help/tech Questions forum... no dice. I sent a question to the email address listed and I'm hoping to hear back.

Here's my dilemma. I'm tempted to buy a cmatmods Signa-comp from PGS while I can still use the -$25 coupon. That would be a pretty fantastic compressor for $135, if there's nothing I can do for my Black Finger. If I'm lucky and it's as simple as replacing the tubes, I can obviously get away with only $30 worth of tubes. It's just a shame because the BF is such a fantastic pedal, when it was working. I'd love it have it working again but if it's going to be costly, I'd rather switch to a solid-state compressor I can run at 9v.

So, anybody have any more thoughts? Has anyone heard that rhythmic noise in any other piece of gear? Is there a way to narrow it down to a probable cause?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

did you try tightening the ground screw that is in between the tubes, under the tube protector bar?

Unfortunately, yes. I tried moving the tubes around in the slot to make sure they were nicely seated and checked the screw. It was tight as could be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I finally heard back from customer service.  The only option I was given is mailing it to NY with a $30 money order.  Sigh.  What stings is that this was my concern with getting a tube compressor and I decided to take the chance.  Damn luck.

So, yes, I'm bumping this up again... on the off chance that maybe someone might just happen to recognize the issue.  It's worth a shot... fingers crossed.

• 9 months later...

Archived