No announcement yet.

The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dudes,
    Tour has been insanely busy with crazy drives, ****************ed weather, and tons of responsibilities on my plate. So, this is the first time I've posted since we left Chicago. It's been kinda ****************ed here and there but it's been pretty great a lot of the time, too. Plus, I got to get wasted with misterstomach in Portland. Really, really wasted.
    I'm in on the tour box still. I'll be home March 15 or 16 and I will be e-mailing Harakiri as soon as I post this with my address.
    I hope now that we're on the eastern leg and the drives aren't so ****************ing brutal that I will be able to participate a little more frequently.
    Will
    My band: http://facebook.com/indiandoom

Originally Posted by christianatl

It's new butt **************** day.

Happy?

Originally Posted by misterstomach

i don't know if i'd want to go on tour if i wasn't going to do anything i could get arrested for.

Originally Posted by .homewrecker.

If there is only a few dB diference between 30 and 100 watts then it works both ways, why are you getting on my **************** for using a 100 watt amp when a 30 watt amp is practically just as loud just has less balls?

Comment

• So glad to have you back Will! I hope everythings been good. Also, glad to hear you're still in on the tour box. Hopefully I'll have everything next week and we can begin. There shouldn't be any issues with getting the box to you.
      Originally Posted by EL KABONG

Sometimes I plug in and it just sounds TOO GOOD and I cant handle it for some reason, so i just have to unplug.

Originally Posted by Zachman

yup you're right, I'm wrong... Happy?

Comment

• Damn, Weedeater and Zoroaster are gonna be here Friday and I don't think I'll be able to make it to the show
        VHT/Fryette DEATH SQUAD

Great deals here and on Rig-talk with: Boatshoes/smucarolina, goldwing68nv, tkozuch, chakosh, Norton666

Current whoredom: VHT Pitbull 50/CL

Past whordom: Peavey 5150 II | ENGL Steve Morse 100 | Jet City JCA20H | Mesa Boogie Mark V | Sunn 200s | Orange Thunderverb 50 | Peavey 5150 | Laney GH100L

Originally Posted by MarkBastable

You don't crap in the bidet, you colonial peasant.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by spawnofthesith
          View Post

Damn, Weedeater and Zoroaster are gonna be here Friday and I don't think I'll be able to make it to the show

Make it.
          blackouteffectors.com

Comment

• Listening to Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom right now and it's heavy as ****************! Goddang' it, Bobby!
            "WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box xxx, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

I think the project is interesting as ****************. ICP are always reinventing and redefining what it means to be dohp as ****************.

Good deals: JSutter, roaring20's

Comment

• Ohhh yes. Bongripper is so so heavy. Love that stuff.

Humancertainty, have fun on the rest of your tour, bud. Sadly I won't be able to make it out to any of the shows but I would have loved to.

And Weedeater/Zoroaster doesn't get close enough to here either, DAMNATION

Comment

• Amps with the most low end rumble.... GO!
                Good deals: The Riffer, Code001, Grunge782, RyanC, KingdomGuitar, itkindaworks, Masterburrfoot, LowWoods, BEG FTW, Ancient

http://www.facebook.com/QuietHands
                http://QuietHands.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Traynor YBA-3 & YBA-3A

"WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box xxx, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

I think the project is interesting as ****************. ICP are always reinventing and redefining what it means to be dohp as ****************.

Good deals: JSutter, roaring20's

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Poundcaketoredvelvet
                    View Post

Amps with the most low end rumble.... GO!

redbear. theyre ****************ing made of win.
                    sons of SUNN

pedlolboard
                    skullytone fx living dead drive > russian spi sanford and sonny bluebeard (((in triphonic))) Red*bear mk120 > 68 sunn 200s > ampeg v2 > your earpussies

good tranny shared with Severed Pumpkin MakuseruSukotto theAntihero X2 Dr. Doom Shamdog Bobby D Noise. . . Ancient X2

Comment

• I just got back from the Matamp factory where I tried out the new Minimat's, GT120, GT40 and King Street. The only amp that I wouldn't buy out of that lot is probably the GT120. It's just too stiff and sterile for me. I know it's the quintessential Matamp tone that most people who played them fell in love with years ago, but there are pretty much no other tones available, so if you don't like it you're ****************ed.

I'm buying a Mini-Rock when it comes out, which is essentially a remake of the GT4 template but with far more versatility and four stages of gain - which is ****************ing nuts for a Matamp. With everything maxed out and the treble cut off, it is a glorious stoner rock tone - and the attenuator is pretty decent for dialing back the volume slightly. It's not that loud, anyway, fortunately.

I had already played the King Street but it's still my favourite Matamp. I don't know why people dismiss it as solely a classic rock Marshall-type amp; it is so much more than that: If you cut the treble, crank the bass and middle then you've got a fantastic stoner rock tone but with more detail, depth and smoothness than the other slightly more harsh Matamp's available, like the GT40, GT1 and GT120.

I also played the Fryette amps, Deliverance 60, Sig:X and Memphis. Both the D60 and Sig:X had too much treble for me, but with the presence and treble backed off you are rewarded with amazing tone. They are seriously loud ****************ers, too.

The Memphis is probably the nicest amp I've played since my Soldano over a year ago. I'm buying one for sure. It's just pure bliss. My only qualm with it is its lack of clean headroom on the clean channel. It basically is always distorted ever so slightly. That can be changed, though, with a preamp valve swap, so I'm told.
                      ● MIJ 81' Ibanez AR100, CIJ Fender Custom 72 Telecaster, Edwards Les Paul w/P90s, MIM 93' Fender Stratocaster ● Fryette Memphis 30C, JCA20H (modified) ●● Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper, Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge, Iron Ether FrantaBit, ss/bs F*ck, BAT Pharaoh, EQD Organizer ●● EQD Ghost Echo, Skreddy Echo, Mid-fi Electronics DPP, Subdecay Starlight Flanger, Subdecay Quasar Dlx ●// Gear // Gas //

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
                        View Post

I just got back from the Matamp factory where I tried out the new Minimat's, GT120, GT40 and King Street. The only amp that I wouldn't buy out of that lot is probably the GT120. It's just too stiff and sterile for me. I know it's the quintessential Matamp tone that most people who played them fell in love with years ago, but there are pretty much no other tones available, so if you don't like it you're ****************ed.

I'm buying a Mini-Rock when it comes out, which is essentially a remake of the GT4 template but with far more versatility and four stages of gain - which is ****************ing nuts for a Matamp. With everything maxed out and the treble cut off, it is a glorious stoner rock tone - and the attenuator is pretty decent for dialing back the volume slightly. It's not that loud, anyway, fortunately.

I had already played the King Street but it's still my favourite Matamp. I don't know why people dismiss it as solely a classic rock Marshall-type amp; it is so much more than that: If you cut the treble, crank the bass and middle then you've got a fantastic stoner rock tone but with more detail, depth and smoothness than the other slightly more harsh Matamp's available, like the GT40, GT1 and GT120.

I also played the Fryette amps, Deliverance 60, Sig:X and Memphis. Both the D60 and Sig:X had too much treble for me, but with the presence and treble backed off you are rewarded with amazing tone. They are seriously loud ****************ers, too.

The Memphis is probably the nicest amp I've played since my Soldano over a year ago. I'm buying one for sure. It's just pure bliss. My only qualm with it is its lack of clean headroom on the clean channel. It basically is always distorted ever so slightly. That can be changed, though, with a preamp valve swap, so I'm told.

That makes me happy. Can you share any more details about the amp? Are the controls pretty much the same as the GT4? Any footswitchable OD or boost?

I have always wanted a GT4. I will definitely be trying to get one of these guys, especially in green - they did get a new supplier for the green tolex, right?
                        Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Poundcaketoredvelvet
                          View Post

Amps with the most low end rumble.... GO!

My matamp GTO 120 has the most lowend of any amp I've ever played.
                          MATAMP/SUNN/ORANGE/GIBSON/MARSHALL/BlackArtsToneworks
                          http://www.orthodoxfuzz.com

Comment

• Yeah, there is a footswitch-able boost that adds a gain stage and a little bit of volume (but not much fortunately).

The features are essentially the same: on the far left of the GT4 you had a bass boost switch. The Mini-Rock (terrible name) simply has a three way rotary switch that selects between a very bass-heavy and rumbling tone, to a bright more Marshall-y type sound. You can then tame those core frequencies and sounds with the treble and bass control, which the GT4 had as well.

The gain control has a wide sweep, but unfortunately the clean tones are either non-existent or just really bad. They're like the Orange Tiny Terror cleans in a way, but not quite as bad. The gain is very sensitive, as well, and changes the feel and sound of the amp dramatically, which is why the treble control is so important. It gets quite bright with the gain up full, so backing the treble down evokes a wonderfully smooth and detailed tone.

You'll have to give them a call to ask whether they have green again. I didn't ask as I had ran out of time there. I needed to get home.
                            ● MIJ 81' Ibanez AR100, CIJ Fender Custom 72 Telecaster, Edwards Les Paul w/P90s, MIM 93' Fender Stratocaster ● Fryette Memphis 30C, JCA20H (modified) ●● Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper, Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge, Iron Ether FrantaBit, ss/bs F*ck, BAT Pharaoh, EQD Organizer ●● EQD Ghost Echo, Skreddy Echo, Mid-fi Electronics DPP, Subdecay Starlight Flanger, Subdecay Quasar Dlx ●// Gear // Gas //

Comment

• Also, regarding the Matamp Mini-Rock, the line-out on the back is extremely awesome. It's not just tagged on somewhere in the chain like most people do. It's a genuine line-out where you can plug the poweramp into another amp. So you can essentially find the powertube distortion and tone you want, then plug that into a clean amp's loop with a lot of headroom and have awesome Matamp tone at any levels whatsoever.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC
                                View Post

redbear. theyre ****************ing made of win.

This! I don't see why more dudes aren't using them in doom bands. I wish I never got rid of mine.
                                http://deadhandcollective.blogspot.com - my band
                                http://divinemotherrecordings.com -my label
                                http://divinemotherrecordings.bandcamp.com
                                http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...l=1#post425143 99 - good deals

Comment

Working...
                                X