OT: do i need 1080p 120gz TV if i don't have cable, or blue ray ???

hangwire

• Members

my old 1995? TV is finally starting to show some lines on the side which I have heard indicates that its finally ready to go.  So I am going to join the 2005 crowd and get a flat TV

however, I wonder if I can just cheap out on less desirable models.  I was told 1080p and 120Gz is the only way to go... and I am looking at 38-42 inches.  

We get TV from a digital antenna for our local channels, have a Sony DVD player we bought back in 2000 or so, and have old game systems hooked up via RF/coaxial or RCA plugs.  The Wii being the most advanced... 

It would be cool too if there is a way to send video signal from our macbook to the new tv via some cable or wireless/bluetooth, so I dont know if that influences anything or if I need to look for a certain type of input available.

so ... what do you guys think?  

HHGreg has 40" 720p Tvs for $150-190 from a flyer that was in the mail this week.  BUT if there is a good reason to stick with the 1080p and 120ghz - I'll do that and get one when this old TV finally goes...

• Members

I picked up a 46" 1080p LED tv for dirt cheap when a store was selling it as a floor model. Works perfect, no problems, it just sat on the showroom floor for a bit to show people how awesome it can be.

Scoop up stupid deals like that if possible, ones that have warranties still attached. 720p vs 1080p is a debatable topic but personally I feel as long as you're upping yourself over your 1995 CRT, you'll be just fine. 

• Members

TomVanDeven wrote:

I picked up a 46" 1080p LED tv for dirt cheap when a store was selling it as a floor model. Works perfect, no problems, it just sat on the showroom floor for a bit to show people how awesome it can be.

Scoop up stupid deals like that if possible, ones that have warranties still attached. 720p vs 1080p is a debatable topic but personally I feel as long as you're upping yourself over your 1995 CRT, you'll be just fine. 

I can tell the difference in the 60ghz vs. 120ghz tvs displayed next to each other... but I thought I remember reading that old tube/big back TVs [crt you call it] actually have a better picture comparable to high dollar/spec flat tvs up to 32 or 38" big... 

the upgrade for me will be having a TV that works over an old one that doesnt work anymore.  just not looking to regress  with a purchase

• Members

Google have plenty of hits, here's one:

"Exactly, SD looks like crap on most HDTV's because the resolution has to be scaled to fit the much higher resolution and few HDTVs have a scaler that could even be called adequate (although some do a passable job). If it's not HD it doesn't look good or as some say "garbage in, garbage out". Don't downplay CRT's either, CRTs currently offer the best picture of any available technology because of their amazing black levels and incredibly accurate and vibrant color. The technology has been around forever it's pretty much the most refined display technology you can get. HD CRT's looks awesome, they're only downside as far as the picture goes is they max out at 34".

• Members

hangwire wrote:

Don't downplay CRT's either, CRTs currently offer the best picture of any available technology because of their amazing black levels and incredibly accurate and vibrant color. The technology has been around forever it's pretty much the most refined display technology you can get. HD CRT's looks awesome, they're only downside as far as the picture goes is they max out at 34".

That is true, CRT's do black much better than a LCD. But nobody has CRT's. The last time I saw a HD CRT was about 8 years ago. It was between 30-40 inches, weighed several hundread pounds and was the size or a small elephant. 

• Members

I've heard you should wait until after the Super Bowl this weekend, or even until spring, to get better deals because stores are moving their old models.

I'm also suspicious of not getting anything other than the major brands. Seems like HDTVs are a "get what you pay for" kind of deal and you can't go wrong with a Samsung, Panasonic, LG or Sony.  Toshiba and Vizio are also good, but I'd consider them a step down.

You probably don't need anything bigger than 50", but there is an adage that you never regret buying too big of a TV.

720p is probably fine in theory, but I'm only seeing Plasmas at 720p nowadays. Any legit LCD tv over 32" probably 1080p by default. If you're getting some 46" 720p LCD that likely means you're getting an off-brand that sucks.

• Members

Reaganomics! wrote:

I've heard you should wait until after the Super Bowl this weekend, or even until spring, to get better deals because stores are moving their old models.

I'm also suspicious of not getting anything other than the major brands. Seems like HDTVs are a "get what you pay for" kind of deal and you can't go wrong with a Samsung, Panasonic, LG or Sony.  Toshiba and Vizio are also good, but I'd consider them a step down.

You probably don't need anything bigger than 50", but there is an adage that you never regret buying too big of a TV.

720p is probably fine in theory, but I'm only seeing Plasmas at 720p nowadays. Any legit LCD tv over 32" probably 1080p by default. If you're getting some 46" 720p LCD that likely means you're getting an off-brand that sucks.

I'm mostly on board with you on this, but defintiely wouldn't put Toshiba in the same category as Vizio.  I've had Toshiba, Vizio, and Samsung tvs and the Toshibas are on par with the Samsungs IMO.  The Vizio was a good tv until it died, but the others were just better and worth the extra cash.

Also, holy {censored} this quoting system is terrible.

• Members

The contradicting specs opinions and then the plasma v. Led curveball = confusing for a guy who doesn't give a {censored} about most tech stuff, who enjoys my big back tube tv picture, and doesn't want to downgrade on that quality with a new tv

Archived