Vintage Boss Pedal Love!!

Stubacca

• Members

So in the past I have owned many vintage boss pedals and have had a lot of love for them. Of course most of them have been sold off in order to buy more gear but two I always regret selling are the DM-2 and the VB-2. The VB-2's go for ridiculous money these days but I am always looking for one at the right price. My band was in the studio over the weekend and they had a PH-1r that I have never tried before. After plugging it in I was sold on this bad boy... so lush sounding, really dreamy and beautiful. I had a hard time shutting it off, and giving it back. I did notice that when the pedal was off there was some bleed through and you could hear some mild swirling the background... is this normal for this pedal?

My love for the vintage Boss stuff is really coming to the surface again... what are some of your favorites?

Here is the PH-1r on my board.

IMG\_1062.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

goodhonk wrote:

boss 4 lyf

there's a ph-1 (no r) on my cl, was tempted, but have told the r is the one to get.

That was another question I had... so "r" is the one to get? Have you heard about the sound bleeding though when bypassed?

• Members

Keep looking. My vb-2 was $270 shipped and Keeley-tweaked DM-2 was $180 shipped. They pop up but go quickly!

That said, I had 5 more DM2s and they were from free to $50 each (10 years ago :) )

yup, ive had most of the "vintage" boss pedals, and I go back to them. they just sound great and do what they do without alot of fancy parameters.

OK, Ill list em...

cs-1

cs-2 (2)

cs3T 

cs3J

FA-1

DM-2 (6)

DM-3 (3)

CE-1 (3)

CE-2 (2)

CE-3

DS-1 

FZ-2 (3)

OC-2 (J) (3)

VB-2

DM-300 (2/3)

RV-2 (2)

RV-3

RV-100 Spring Reverb

SE-70

HC-2 Hand Clapper

PQ-4

GE-10 (2)

GE 7

BF2 (2-3)

BF1

DC2 (2)

DC3 

DSD2 

DSD3 (2)

PN2

FT2

GE7B

HF2

HM2 (3)

OD1 SS

OD1 (v2)

PS2

PS3 (2)

PC2 Percussion Synth (AMdek)

Phaser (Amdek)

DD2 (2)

DD3 (3)

AW2 and 3

FT-2

PH1r (maybe 5)

PH2 

All of the Micro Rack Series, a few in duplicates (i had like 3/4 of the eqs)

I have a SG-1 Clone:)

and a few more modern boss ones (ps5, rc2)

and alot of Roland Stuff too (doublebeat, beebaa, dc-10/30 tabletop delays)

7 Space Echos (yes 7)

and some ACETONE stuff (pedals and a drum machine)

NOW, I have:

AD-50 Double Beat

BeeBaa

RE-201 Space Echo

RC-2

CS-2

DM-2 (tweeked by Keeley)

VB-2 (It is worth it (on sale))

GE-10 (great eq!)

HM-2

RRV-10 MicroRack Reverb

RPS-10 Pitchshifter/Rvs Delay

FA-1

(and one more that escapes me)

• Members

Although widely criticsized I love Boss dirt. Some that I own HM-2, FZ-2/3, OS-2, and the DS-1.

I have the DSD-2, OC-2 and CE-2 among others. I won't even tell you about Boss/ Roland that failed on me and I just chucked them. Before the internets who knew that you could fix this {censored}?

• 9 months later...

The PH-1r is a fantastic phaser pedal IMO. I have one on one of my boards. I also have a Boss CE-2, and a PN-2 - both of which are also classics IMO. I used to use the SG-1 back when they were new... considering the relatively low production numbers, I probably owned about a tenth of all of the ones that were ever built at one time or another (only a slight exaggeration... ;) ). I also love the VB-2, but do not own one. I'd really like to own a SP-1 (or Pearl TH-20, which is probably even better), but I'm not about to drop that kind of coin on one - I may (gasp!) have to try out the B-hinger version. :)

Back in the late 70s / early 80s, the Boss compact pedals were some of the best on the market IMO.

Archived