Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building A Guitar Synth Rig

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building A Guitar Synth Rig

    I was thinking about building some sort of guitar based "synth" rig. The rig would run through the effects loop of only one of my two amps.



    Can't decide to go pedal or modular / midi route. Do I just buy a few "synth" pedals or do I get a Sonuus G2M to trigger midi and run an actual synth like a Minataur / Dark Energy / Mopho etc...



    How would you do it and what would you choose?
    Six Acre Lake on Bandcamp

    Six Acre Lake on Facebook

  • #2
    Why not just play your Moog with your fingers? Too much trouble to do guitar synth onstage unless it's pitch controlled.
    —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

    Comment


    • chemosis
      chemosis commented
      Editing a comment

      if your going the pedal route you first need a synth pedal then a filter, fuzz and octave pedal. a synth pedal needs to be the base then u start adding effects that synths use


  • #3
    I got a G2M not so long ago and run one of the outs of my M9 into it triggering a Little Phatty. It sounds pretty cool hearing your guitar and synth in unison.

    Also any effects you apply before the split affect the transmission of the MIDI, so you can run a delay before the synth and you'll still get a delay sound but obviously without the color/tone of the delay pedal. The latency is so incredibly minimal too. For the price it's an amazing piece of equipment.

    Comment


    • #4






      Quote Originally Posted by WAWBanks
      View Post

      I got a G2M not so long ago and run one of the outs of my M9 into it triggering a Little Phatty. It sounds pretty cool hearing your guitar and synth in unison.

      Also any effects you apply before the split affect the transmission of the MIDI, so you can run a delay before the synth and you'll still get a delay sound but obviously without the color/tone of the delay pedal. The latency is so incredibly minimal too. For the price it's an amazing piece of equipment.




      That's exciting to hear - I want one of those G2Ms and a Little Phatty so bad.
      FS: Digitech Whammey IVOriginally Posted by cryptosonictonight, I reverse mounted the toiletOriginally Posted by OperatorWhat kind of **************************** wears a scarf indoors?

      Comment


      • #5


        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wGIbgQ0hE
        ___________________________________________


        youtube
        soundclick

        Deals: Tron Murphy, hangwire, renula, AimmarCair, Urinate Forever, ck3

        Comment


        • #6






          Quote Originally Posted by WAWBanks
          View Post

          I got a G2M not so long ago and run one of the outs of my M9 into it triggering a Little Phatty. It sounds pretty cool hearing your guitar and synth in unison.

          Also any effects you apply before the split affect the transmission of the MIDI, so you can run a delay before the synth and you'll still get a delay sound but obviously without the color/tone of the delay pedal. The latency is so incredibly minimal too. For the price it's an amazing piece of equipment.




          This sounds too ****************ing cool. It's definitely going on my Christmas list.
          Saint Angel Sigh, Easier to Die - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mRLAkTf_KM

          Comment


          • #7
            Seriously I can't say enough good things about it.

            Comment


            • #8
              I use to own a GR-300, it was amazing the GR-55 is what I'd be looking at.
              great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

              Comment


              • #9
                just get a Microsynth and be done with it
                YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

                Comment


                • #10
                  Simplest solution: Get a Line6 M5 and use the Synth patches on that. They're surprisingly good, although a bit limited. Tracking is fine for monophonic playing. You get some good results if you use an EQ, Filter, Chorus, etc. after the M5 to get more flexible sounds out of it.



                  Next solution: Get the G2M and a good desktop synth (I can't recommend the MoPho enough) and run that. I had a first edition G2M and it was fine. I made a video with a latency test on Youtube where I split the dry signal and the synth signal so you could hear the dry guitar and synth sound together to hear the latency. The new version is apparently much better. I sold my first one and am kid of thinking of getting one of the newer ones. It's a good effect - very possible to get a Kurt Rosenwinkel kind of sound that way. This is a little more complicated and much more expensive than getting an M5 or M9 or whatever. Still monophonic though, no chords.



                  The be$t and most complicated solution is to get a MIDI pickup and do the Roland guitar synth bit. In that case it's not running in the effects loop of your amp, it'd be a dedicated signal path. Most expensive, requires modification to your guitar for the special pickup, but the most flexible and best tracking, polyphonic solution.
                  I play amplified/electric bassoon. Everything you see me post about remember I'm not using my gear with guitar pretty much ever.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    I thought the sonuus was a bit of a disappointment myself.
                    Formerly known as Spoonie G.







                    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7874/spoileri.jpg

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I'm thinking of putting a set of graph tech gost saddles into my baritone Tele build, interested in this too...
                        ...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Even though posted the GR-55 video, if I were you I'd get a POG2 or SUPEREGO as the foundation of my pedal guitar synth. They can do interesting things with attack on a polyphonic basis, not just freezing and octaves.



                          I have a sonuus and converting all the nuances of a guitar to a monophonic pitch leaves a lot to be desired.
                          ___________________________________________


                          youtube
                          soundclick

                          Deals: Tron Murphy, hangwire, renula, AimmarCair, Urinate Forever, ck3

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            The sonus is a bit limiting as it sends Velocity information that didn't seem particularly well calibrated on the old G2M I tried. Different synth patches respond differently.



                            If you want to go synthy with regular guitar pedals we can come up with some interesting ideas. Check the Effectology videos on Youtube. :-)
                            I play amplified/electric bassoon. Everything you see me post about remember I'm not using my gear with guitar pretty much ever.

                            Comment



                            Working...
                            X