OT: Any truth to these 'key stroke loggers'?

dap99

• Members

Big Brother'd?

http://hardtruth.navhost.com/keylogger.html

Government And Computer Manufacturers Are Caught Installing

Hard-Wired Keystroke Loggers Into All New Laptop Computers.

Device captures everything you type and sends it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search warrant - every time you log on to the internet!

I was opening up my almost brand new laptop, to replace a broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard connection underneath a piece of metal protecting the motherboard.

I figured "No Big Deal", and continued with the disassembly. But when I got the metal panels off, I saw a small white heatshrink-wrapped package. Being ever curious, I sliced the heatshrink package open. I found a little circuit board inside.

Being an EE by trade, this peaked my curiosity considerably. On one side of the board, one Atmel AT45D041A four megabit Flash memory chip.

On the other side, one Microchip Technology PIC16F876 Programmable Interrupt Controller, along with a little Fairchild Semiconductor CD4066BCM quad bilateral switch.

Looking further, I saw that the other end of the cable was connected to the integrated ethernet board.

What could this mean? I called the manufacturer's tech support about it. They said, and I quote, "The intregrated service tag identifier is there for assisting customers in the event of lost or misplaced personal information." He then hung up.

A little more research, and I found that that board spliced in between the keyboard and the ethernet chip is little more than a Keyghost hardware keylogger.

The reasons why a computer manufacturer would put this into their laptops can only be left up to your imagination. It would be very impractical to hand-analyze the logs and very CPU-intensive to do so on a computer for every person that purchased a laptop. Why are the keyloggers there? I recently almost found out.

I called the police, as having a keylogger unknown to me in my laptop is a serious offense. They told me to call the Department of Homeland Security. At this point, I am in disbelief. Why would the DHS have a keylogger in my laptop? It was surreal.

So I called them. They told me to submit a "Freedom of Information Act" request.

This is what I got back:

Under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), the only items exempt from public disclosure are "items relating to *law enforcement tools* and techniques" and "items relating to national security."

The real life implications of this are plain: computer manufacturers appear to be cooperating with the Department of Homeland Security to make every person who buys a new laptop computer subject to immediate, unrestricted government recording of everything they do on those computers. EVERYTHING!

This information can be sent to DHS, online, without your knowledge or consent, without a search warrant, or even probable cause! That's why this device is hard-wired directly into the ethernet card, which communicates over the internet!

I am not certain how long this information will be permitted to remain online for the world to see before the government takes some type of action to attempt to have it removed from public view.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if true (which I doubt it is) that's one innefficient design. needing both an Atmel MCU (which I myself use) and a PIC for a single purpose is amateur.

The keystroke logger exists. Those images on the site are real and of a real keystroke logger. They are NOT putting them in every laptop computer (or even any single manufacturer computer).

Still, yet another reason to build your own computers and install your own operating system from scratch, even laptops are easy peasy if you get a barebones kit to start with.

• Members

This from the same website:

The Illuminati (In this time period, they refer to themselves as The Moriah, The Brotherhood, or via TV shows like the X-Files - The "Shadow Government"), invisible to the general public, yet controlling every aspect of the direction of this world, are Genetic Hybrids - the result of inter-breeding between a hostile reptilian extraterrestrial race and humanity thousands of years ago.

http://hardtruth.navhost.com/bloodlines.html

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

haha ill say it again, the internet is one long dark alley. back in the day, the gubbament sucked at it.. they're really good now.. and if you think you're the first to come up with an idea of mass monitoring (or counter surveillance for that matter), that idea has probably already been tried or already in the works. somewhere, there's a harddrive (or several mirrors thereof) that logs every commuication we make on this 'public' wired planet. Pay attention to what you text/voice/mail/publish/go.in.public/spend-make.money/live a modern day life.. it's a brave new world )

• Members

why would they install hardware like that, when it could be done so much more discretely with software... not to mention that it would be much cheaper.

(again don't know if it's true), in hardware at least it wouldn't be defeated if the "terrorists" install linux or something.

UH OHHHHHHHHH

:facepalm:

That's good for a month off. :cop:

We had a guy over on Musicplayer who made a similar, off the cuff comment... shortly thereafter, he had a visit - in person - from either the Secret Service or FBI - I forget which it was, but the point is, this is a easily viewed forum, and tinfoil hat conspiracies aside, yes, the Feds DO monitor what happens on the Internet, and threats against the White House or POTUS are taken VERY seriously, and are usually ILLEGAL.

I can't let comments like that one go by without taking action. In the future, please avoid making any threats against the White House or President - even in jest.

Archived