nice modeler into cheap amp vs. nice modeling amp

Silent Heart

• Members

I'm looking for a practice rig that is as versatile as possible, although I would be willing to sacrifice some versatility if it meant having to substantially compromise on high gain tones.  Budget is in the range $200 - $400.  Software and going direct to the mixer/computer are not on the table.

Given that, and assuming that I already have a cheap amp, would it make more sense to invest in a nice multi-fx modeling pedal (such as the Line 6 Pod HD line) and run it into the amp to use its speaker OR would it make more sense to go for one of the latest modeling amps (such as the Line 6 Spider IV or Peavey Vypyr VIP)?

I realize much of the decision depends on subjective factors and that trying them out myself is the only way to really decide, but I kind of despise going to Guitar Center.  The egos in there, both employees and customers, are too much for me to deal with.

• Members

problem with running a modeler into the front of an amp is that you get the amp characteristics too.   

the vox ad30vt is pretty cool, has high gain stuff on it and some other fx.

personally i really like the tech 21 stuff.  a used power engine amp, PE60, can often be found around $250.  put one of their character series pedals in front and you'd have a pretty nice set up.  

or you could pick up the tech 21 trademark 60/30/10 depending on the volume you needed.

• Members

What's your budget? This could go a few ways.

Yeah, running a POD HD into your practice amp wouldn't be the worst thing, but if you're only going to be using the amp modelling then I think that'd be a bit overkill. If you're tight on money, I would suggest picking up a used Flextone II or III 1x12 and practice with that. They're never more than a few hundred bucks.

I'd say only keep to spending a minimal amount on a modelling amp, since for dirt cheap you can get much nicer sounding equipment. There are some nicer sounding ones (Roland Cubes, Yamaha THR etc.), but tubes man. Tubes are the way to go, especially in tiny little amps!

What crazy versatile sounds do you need here? Multiple flavours of chugga chugga?

• Members

I'm looking to spend 200 - 400.  Within that price range, on one end of the versatility spectrum, there's probably some boutique 1 watt tube amp that sounds amazing but does nothing except its one sound.  On the other end of the spectrum would be some Zoom multi effects thing with thousands of effects, all of which are terrible.  I guess I'm trying to find some sweet spot in between those two extremes. 

It might not be so hard to find a good quality-versatility tradeoff, but I'm also trying to decide if part of my investment needs to be in a better power amp and speaker than I have with my little cheapo.  I guess everyone seems to be saying that I am going to need to spring for those.

Haha, I don't even want to say what brand the cheapo amp is, it's kind of embarassing.  I probably couldn't even pay somebody to take it off my hands, let's put it that way.  I've done some reamping experiments comparing the sound through the cheapo with the sound through my relatively nice Mackie monitors and I'm kind of surprised how good it sounds through the cheapo.  So now I'm not sure what to do.

Archived