OT: Recommend me a beard trimmer

hangwire

• Members

backstory:  I have a beard

My trimmer now is one of those cheapy Walgreen's ones with the plastic clip on beard length combs that I got after my nicer one died a few years ago... The power adapter for the charger is starting to go with a short intermittently being an issue.  I dont even use the length combs as I only use the trimmer to shave my neck and the cheek line.

BUT

ice fishing approaches and I plan to trim down my bear to almost nothing and keep a bushy mustache for the weekend out there, as is the new custom in our group... so I am looking for a recommendation of primarcy a good neck/cheek shaver trimmer, but something that has a good length setting if I do need to quickly even things out for a day when I need to look all nice and stuff for a photo/family obligations.

SO I am asking here because the internet is full of opinions I dont really care about I suppose... I am looking for something good, not like a Dist+ or DOD 250 clone that is way overpriced and made by smarmy jerks that dont know how to admit they did something wrong.  Something that someone here has had good experience with and not crazy expensive, like some dumb Snapa heads rip off. 

Thanks in advance :wave:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you travel a lot get something that takes AA batteries or something. I had a bad experience where I trimmed half my face in London, the adapter for the trimmer did not work with my power converter. Of course the rechargeable battery died and luck would have it that there were no stores remotely close to where I was staying that carried trimmers. I spent the better part of the day looking like a complete idiot.

• Members

I have a phillips norelco T980 that I really like.  It has an integral vacuum, which sounds like a gimmick but really does eliminate most of the bits of beard flying everywhere syndrome that you usually have when you use these things.  It doesn't really double as a body trimmer, though, if you're looking for something to double up for that.

FWIW, I hated a wahl one that I tried one time.

• Members

hangwire wrote:

backstory:  I have a beard

My trimmer now is one of those cheapy Walgreen's ones with the plastic clip on beard length combs that I got after my nicer one died a few years ago... The power adapter for the charger is starting to go with a short intermittently being an issue.  I dont even use the length combs as I only use the trimmer to shave my neck and the cheek line.

BUT

ice fishing approaches and I plan to trim down my bear to almost nothing and keep a bushy mustache for the weekend out there, as is the new custom in our group... so I am looking for a recommendation of primarcy a good neck/cheek shaver trimmer, but something that has a good length setting if I do need to quickly even things out for a day when I need to look all nice and stuff for a photo/family obligations.

SO I am asking here because the internet is full of opinions I dont really care about I suppose... I am looking for something good, not like a Dist+ or DOD 250 clone that is way overpriced and made by smarmy jerks that dont know how to admit they did something wrong.  Something that someone here has had good experience with and not crazy expensive, like some dumb Snapa heads rip off. 

Thanks in advance
:wave:

It is douchey off topic threads like this that have ruined this forum.

WTF does this have to do with FX...

• Members

I love OT posts, but: LOSETHEFLUCKINGBEARD.

Last year at Psychfest it seemed every other young man under 30 had learned some tragic lesson from an old grainy photo of a civil war general, and I can't tell you how hilariously sad it looks.  You're young.  You do not need to fit in so badly that you grow out your beard like Jedediah Johnson like the rest of the herd.

My woman (who is the age of the bearded wonders, not my age) walked around pointing at them and yelling "WIZARD!"  People laughed.  The shark was jumped with the release of "For Emma, Forever Ago."

Get a razor. 

You're welcome.

• Members

TomVanDeven wrote:

^ Obviously cannot grow a nice full beard.

No, actually, I have plenty of testosterone and hair. 

Let me help you here: In 1990, when Seattle was juuuuuuust edging onto the periphery of the cultural radar, I was a bit ahead of the curve (worked for Sub Pop a little later, take my word on this stuff).

At the time, I was eager for attention, especially from women.  Also, my ego demanded that I not be up-front about this agenda.  In any event, I became a Long Haired Man.  Oh, I was pretty - my exes are famous lady rock stars and there's copious proof of this.

But the point is this: I wanted so damn badly to be mistaken for a member of Soundgarden, that I ... played the part.  It wasn't until I CUT THAT HAIR (thanks, Steve Malkmus) that I got what I needed at the time (another pathology, another over-lengthy post).

LOSE.  THE.  BEARD.

This is kind advice, if only you can see it as such.

Archived