iStomp quick review

goodhonk

• Members

it's fun and sounds great!

pros: easy to use, downloads are quick, unlimited 5 minute try before you buy, sound quality, stereo in and out.

- tape delay sounds incredible

- dm2 is awesome (oscillations sound great too)

- ce2 sounds great

- small stone sounds like it should

- rat is amazing

- gonkulator rules

- dod fx25b envelope filter is awesome!

the dm2 and small stone really blew me away.

cons: iphone/touch/pad compatible only, not enough choices (yet), can only do one pedal at a time.

i'll get some clips up soon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's fun and sounds great!

pros: easy to use, downloads are quick, unlimited 5 minute try before you buy, sound quality, stereo in and out.

- tape delay sounds incredible

- dm2 is awesome (oscillations sound great too)

- ce2 sounds great

- small stone sounds like it should

- rat is amazing

- gonkulator rules

- dod fx25b envelope filter is awesome!

the dm2 and small stone really blew me away.

cons: iphone/touch/pad compatible only, not enough choices (yet), can only do one pedal at a time.

i'll get some clips up soon.

That's pretty much my take on it but you like most of the effects I didn't like as much. :D

My faves (that I ended up purchasing) are...

Octaver

Strato Boost

Half Pipe Overdrive

DOD 250 Overdrive

Fuzzy

Rock It Distortion

Blue Pearl Chorus

Flanger Affair

Opto Trem

Double Cross Delay

Lexicon Hall

Spring Tank

Vintage Tape Delay

Total Recall Delay

Continuum Reverb

I kind of wish the pedal had a color LED screen that displayed the effect type and control settings. Of course if they could make a 3 or 4 effect at a time version with redundant effects and presets in a small box like the Zoom G3, that would be awesome as some of these effects are quite nice and I could ditch my M-9. :thu:

• Members

Sounds pretty cool. So you buy the iStomp, and then download different models to it, is that correct?

yes. it comes loaded with a really nice sounding distortion, and you get a tap tempo delay download for free too. the delay has some nice semi-hidden features.

• Members

i think that's what this is.

ipb01_top1.jpg

Sort of...you can't buy the effects you want...that's kind of a big deal...plus it has an iPad attached to it. Also, I'm not sure if that unit will allow you to do redundant effects...and it has amp modeling (which I'm very not interested in). They need to combine the iStomp with something like this...a nicer form factor would be a plus. I know DigiTech reps post here...hopefully they're taking notes. :D

• Members

They already said they were working on expanding the store to the iPB10. It uses the same DNA chips as the iStomp.

Yeah...but it's big and clunky. There are also other things they should be considering. They shouldn't just fall into the easy temptation of rehashing an existing product...People seem to be clamoring for some innovation...give the people what they want. We've had too many years in a row of repackages of old formats and technology and "slap an iPad on it" in this industry...Give us some innovation NOW! :mad:

The quality of their processors and effects are a good starting point...as is their effects store...Start with that...re-work everything else. Give us innovative features...that function spectacularly in the real world of the gigging artist...give us space saving, fully functional forms that are rugged without being clunky...modern without looking dorky...simple and easy to use without cutting features. Become the Apple of effects processors...don't just slap an Apple product on your effects processors.

Digitech has some good things going for it...they should build on that and let go of some of the more familiar, less attractive/less useful/tired conventions they've established...If they do, they could trounce Line 6 and a few other companies. Make it happen, Captain.

:D

• Members

i think that's what this is.

ipb01_top1.jpg

m9 killer. but yea, thats not it. doesnt need to have ipad and all that other crap. they need to release a zoom g3 type unit with their effects.

can you make any demos? i must say im intrigued by your reviews, but would never buy the current product as it is.

• Members

they need to release a zoom g3 type unit with their effects...

...that you can pick and choose from their store so you're not stuck with effects you don't want...and don't skimp on the processing engines...hell throw one in there for each effects block...you can do 3...4 effects at a time...throw 3 or 4 processors in there and make some outstanding effects that eat up that processing power and configure in any order you want...with redundancies...and smooth preset switching...and high end analog signal path...like the GSP 1101. :thu:

• Members

m9 killer. but yea, thats not it. doesnt need to have ipad and all that other crap. they need to release a zoom g3 type unit with their effects.

can you make any demos? i must say im intrigued by your reviews, but would never buy the current product as it is.

i'll get some demos up asap. any particular pedals you'd like to hear?

i've got practice tomorrow and don't have wifi, and don't have an iphone, so i'll have to assign a pedal before i leave. i think gonkulator won't make the cut.

• Members

Maybe the fun ones like gonkulator or the envelope filter? Or anything you thought sounds pretty cool really

this. and this thread is relevant to my interests.

i really love my fx25 but if the iStomp can cover that (or the fx35, both of those are on my board) then it would allow me to open up that spot to a lot more...

• Members

oh i forgot about the spring reverb. the spring reverb sounded great! i think it's better than my deluxe reverb. for real.

It's pretty nice...I don't know if it's better than my Deluxe Reverb, but it's one of the better spring reverb sims I've heard. When you consider the cost of pedals like The Spring Thing vs. the cost of the iStomp the quality of the spring reverb program and the other pedals at the Digitech Store, it really is quite a bargain. :thu:

Archived