Marshall in a box?

Beyer160

• Members

I have an Ampeg VT22 (think Fender Twin with more agressive mids), and I want to sound like a Plexi (maybe some JCM800, too). I'm especially looking for soemthing that has a separate bass control to dial in a little simulated cabinet thump.

I'm looking at the Catalinbread DLS and the Tech 21 British. I tried the new EH Glove the other day and although it was cool, I couldn't sculpt the low end the way I wanted. 

What say ye, HCFX?

• Members

Thanks for all the reponses.

Nobody likes the Tech 21, huh? I've got a VT Bass that is one of my favorite gear purchases of all time, but I do use it differently. In my bass rig, the VT Bass is a preamp to a solid state head, and it totally changes the character of the amp in a very righteous way. I don't want a pedal to totally take over the sound of my VT22, but to work with the "tube character" (or whatever you want to call it) the amp already has. Kinda like how a TS9 sounds like crap going into a clean SS amp, but sounds kinda cool into a cranked tube amp.

Anyway, I dug the DLS when i tried it out but it seemed to have a little less gain than I was looking for. The Box Of Rock seemed a little TOO gainy, and mushy to boot. 

There are some clones of the Crunchbox, Plexi Drive and Riot available on the cheap, I suppose I could pick up half a dozen different pedals and sell off the ones I don't like. Which would mean I wouldn't get rid of any of them, but still.

Beyer160 wrote:

Thanks for all the reponses.

Nobody likes the Tech 21, huh? I've got a VT Bass that is one of my favorite gear purchases of all time, but I do use it differently. In my bass rig, the VT Bass is a preamp to a solid state head, and it totally changes the character of the amp in a very righteous way. I don't want a pedal to totally take over the sound of my VT22, but to work with the "tube character" (or whatever you want to call it) the amp already has. Kinda like how a TS9 sounds like crap going into a clean SS amp, but sounds kinda cool into a cranked tube amp.

Anyway, I dug the DLS when i tried it out but it seemed to have a little less gain than I was looking for. The Box Of Rock seemed a little TOO gainy, and mushy to boot. 

There are some clones of the Crunchbox, Plexi Drive and Riot available on the cheap, I suppose I could pick up half a dozen different pedals and sell off the ones I don't like. Which would mean I wouldn't get rid of any of them, but still.

I was very impressed with the VT Bass too... as well as the Liverpool and the Blonde. I have not tried out the Tech 21 British, but if it's as good as the other pedals in the Character series that I have tried, it's probably a pretty darned cool pedal.

And I agree - that Hot Rod Plexi video sounded nice.

• Members

The Barber DirtyBomb is the best Marshall-ish crunch box I've heard, and I've owned a lot of 'em over the years (inc. a Marshall Guvnor, a Guvnor Plus, Arion Metal Master, some Boss stuff, multi-efx, and others).     I love Barber pedals anyway - incredible tone and value for the price.

http://barberelectronics.com/Dirty%20Bomb.html

-ryan

• Members

ry1633 wrote:

The Barber DirtyBomb is the best Marshall-ish crunch box I've heard, and I've owned a lot of 'em over the years (inc. a Marshall Guvnor, a Guvnor Plus, Arion Metal Master, some Boss stuff, multi-efx, and others).     I love Barber pedals anyway - incredible tone and value for the price.

-ryan

Interesting. Isn't the dirty bomb supposed to more of a scooped high gain sorta distortion though? 

Ever maybe tried something fancy (suhr, fulltone, catalinbread, wampler, rockett, zvex, menatone, etc...?).

I'm not big on boutique dirt pedals myself, a mooer crunch box clone and my amp's on board distortion is all I really need as far as non-fuzz dirt goes... 

• Members

The Hot Rod Plexi arrived, but unfortunately I won't have access to my Ampeg for a while. I plugged it into Jamup using the Twin patch through my iPhone just to get a general feel for it (and to make sure it worked- this was a "restock", after all). I know this isn't a fair way to evaluate a pedal, so I'll refrain from making any value judgements at this stage.

Quick impressions-

-Like my VT Bass, the controls (especially the EQ) are really responsive- very small movements yield audible results.

-The Tone control is actually a lowpass filter- at noon, you're dumping out a good amount of highs. I imagine this means the box will get a reputation as being "muddy". I found somewhere between one and two o'clock to work pretty well. 

-The Thump control works as advertised, giving you that low mid "thump" like you get from a 4x12. This was the big feature for me- the bridge pickup on my VM Jazzmaster is a little thin, I wanted something that would fill it out a bit. I'm looking forward to trying it through the Ampeg.

-I was afraid with the words "Hot Rod" in the name, it'd be a one-trick pony screamer pedal. To my relief, the gain ranges from practically clean to '70s rock dirt. I was really jazzed to discover that you can dial in a cool, almost Vox-y (but not as jangle-y) low gain clean-bordering-on-crunchy tone. This is especially cool considering...

-The "Hot" footswitch and its associated gain knob adds another preamp gain stage- it isn't a level boost (and can't be used on its own, only when the "Stock" circuit is already engaged), it just piles on dirt. I set the pedal up with the above mentioned low gain tone on the "Stock" channel and dialed in the "Hot" channel to Bring The Rock. 

Verdict- Tr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got one of these Hot Rod Plexi's today. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to mess with it yet and I didn't have the guitar or amp I plan on using it with handy. First impressions were favorable though. I tried it plugged into my JCM 800 with the pre turned way down and the master at three and a half or so which is pretty clean and with the pedal on it gave a decent approximation of the amp cranked.

Archived