Will Real Klons Sell With EHX Soul Food Out?

Player99

• Members

Now that EHX has cloned the Klon and is selling it for a messily $63 will Bill Finnegan still be able to move Klons?

At what price? Will he have to lower the price to make sales?

Will other Klone makers be put out of business?

What about the selling price of the original Klons? Can they keep their lofty $2K+ value?

Will you buy a Soul Food, a Klone or a Klon KTR 2?

I have an Aluminum Falcon 2 revision model and reaaly like it. I am considering a Soul Food as an end of chain boost.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I cant quote on Mobile!! Anyways. In relation to the gearmandude thing. Doesn't It make sense to show a pedal at the same setting so that people can see the difference? Like that if they're at the same setting and sound different then they are different.... Just because there is a setting at which they sound the same doesn't mean squat. One has more gain yada yada. The other a tiny mid hump. Eh. I'm amazed a klon us what it is. pedal aside...

• Members

I don't think it will make too much of a difference, to be honest. If anything it will probably publicize the klon.

People willstill want the original thing just like people buy real USA strats even though there are a bunch of strat copies out there.

• Members

dkonesky wrote:

I cant quote on Mobile!! Anyways. In relation to the gearmandude thing. Doesn't It make sense to show a pedal at the same setting so that people can see the difference? Like that if they're at the same setting and sound different then they are different.... Just because there is a setting at which they sound the same doesn't mean squat. One has more gain yada yada. The other a tiny mid hump. Eh. I'm amazed a klon us what it is. pedal aside...

I hear ya. I think you have valid points.

My take is he can only approximate the pot settings. So they won't sound the same even if they are identical without tweaking by ear.

The pots could be different manufacturers or have slightly different values.

So if the idea is to compare 1 pedal to another I would set them close like does, then match the sound by adjusting the pots of the other by ear. If the same sound can be dialed in then they would be identical pedals...

The minimum and maximum settins is where they might not match up and that would show if one had way more gain, or bass etc.

The way Gearmandude does it the 2 pedals are alway going to sound different when he A/B's them.

• Members

I think the or8ginal price of the klon probably wasn't too outlandish. I have a friend who wants me to make him a lone and the pots are going to probably cost as much as the parts count for a lot of pedals. Add to that having shelled out a bunch of cash and design to have a custom enclosure cast and screened for you, regular component cost and labor time since it is actually one of the higher part count ODs and to make a profit/pay off your casting investment it's not such a ridiculous price at $279 or whatever it was.

• Members

companyman wrote:

It is just an OD, I think my TREX Yellow Drive sounds great for both low and mid gain OD, paid $60 for it .... Shrug

And the Soul Food is $63.

If you have not played through a Klone then you won't know... It does some cool stuff. Subtle but welcomed.

• Members

companyman wrote:

Well I played an actual Klon and was underwhelmed, I fail to see what I would be missing in an imitation of a Klon? Eh.... This is a non- issue for me, I plan on checking the Soul Food out very soon

I'd like to make a 4-band-eq'd TL-072 clean boost (low gain stylee) and see how close I could get, just based on intuitive stuff. I've got an odd/non-std idea on how to make it touch sensitive, .. 'n' name it Mimosa pudica...

• Members

Vintage TS808's still fetch $600 to $1000 despite only being $5 and a few parts different than a TS9. And even vintage TS9's can fetch ~$300 which are in many cases 100% identical to TS9 reissues (depending on year, and again ~$5 in parts different and using the exact same board layout). So yes, Klon's will still sell.

Archived