Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a Beatles fan be a Sonic Youth fan too?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a Beatles fan be a Sonic Youth fan too?

i dont' like sonic youth.  wondering if it has anything to do with being a beatles fan.

are you both?  i dont' mean like you can tolerate one or the other, but are you a lover of both the beatles and sonic youth?   

'Fan', as in the traditional meaning of the word...Nah.

SY is one of my favorite bands ever, though they haven't done anything really schocking the last decade or so impo. How can anyone NOT like the beatles??

Comment

The Beatles and Sonic Youth are both in my top ten favourite bands.
      good guys: english_bob, SG1, red_riviera, chisa, melx, Tayste_2000, tommyld (fuzzhugger), NetStar, bondini, Taylor704, HeartfeltDawn, garethdavies, Uncle Bastard, woolyh, Snufkino, THAT4301, Chugs, Matt0201, fruvai, Prince Squid, eerock, mr benn.

Comment

• goodhonk
        goodhonk commented
        Editing a comment

well that was easy enough.

/thread

I love both of those bands, and I am quite ancient.

Comment

• goodhonk
        goodhonk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply turnip. I too enjoy a wide variety of music and some of it is outer fringe type stuff that many would conisider noise. Sonic youth has never captured my ear, or invoked a desire yo hear it again. This might be sacrilegious but I feel the same way about the pixies.

• Danhedonia
        Danhedonia commented
        Editing a comment

companyman wrote:
        I love both of those bands, and I am quite ancient.

+1

"melodic expectation," indeed.  The more music you hear, the greater your ability to appreciate things that at first confound your expectations.

.....and the Beach Boys.

Comment

• goodhonk
        goodhonk commented
        Editing a comment

companyman wrote:
        .....and the Beach Boys.

haha, them i like.

Evol son

Comment

• Trick Fall
        Trick Fall commented
        Editing a comment
        Goo is probably the most "pop" SY album and not a bad place to start. I actually feel like Daydream Nation closed one chapter and Goo started another.

i think a better question is, can you be both a yani fan and sonic youth fan??

{O,O}
      (__(\
      " "

Comment

• HP Hovercraft
        HP Hovercraft commented
        Editing a comment

I'm 39 as well. I like both.

• T ned
        T ned commented
        Editing a comment

Turd Furgison wrote:

i think a better question is, can you be both a yani fan and sonic youth fan??

How 'bout a little of both?

I'm in my late 20's and The Beatles are one of my very favorite bands of all time. I also really enjoy Sonic Youth. They have a really large and varied catalog though as mentioned previously in this thread. Also, if you're getting bored, skip through a song before completely writing it off. You may miss a really catchy tune that kicks in after a long noisy intro. :smiley-bounce014:

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="red"><font face="Georgia"><font size="3">Listen to my band's new song &quot;Clover&quot; and download our albums free.</font></font> </font><font face="Georgia"><font size="3"><a target="_blank" href="http://modgun.bandcamp.com">modgun.bandcamp.com</a></font></font><br><br><br><br></div>

Comment

Ya'll a buncha youngins

Comment

9520575 commented
          Editing a comment

I am 30 something and do not know anything by sonic youth. I like the beatles a lot. I just got a tame impala album (I never listened to them before). Tame Impala reminds me of the Beatles...

Yeah Tele, I guess my Beatles appreciation is pretty obvious...

I also prefer Kandinsky over Pollock. YMMV.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• onyxrhino
          onyxrhino commented
          Editing a comment

mid 30s. Like the Beatles. Love Sonic Youth. 

and Dirty is the best place to start with SY if you want to try out their more melodic, song based stuff. 

Working...
      X