Good/Fair Price for Roland Space Echo RE-201?

• Members

Hey folks, an actual effects related question for a change! What's a fair price for a Roland Space Echo RE-201 in good condition? Is there anything in particular I should look for when checking them out? Any reason do avoid them?

Thanks

• Members

There's one local for $600, if it's still there on payday I may end up grabbing it. I haven't heard too many clips of just the reverb but from the few that I've heard it sounds pretty good, any opinions from those who have experience with it?

• Members

If the motor burns out there are no replacements. It sounds pretty good, a bit noisy. Bulky, mono, the tape runs over the heads the whole time it is on, regardless if you are using the delay or not. Check that the metal on the heads is not worn. As well the rubber capstan gets dried out. There is someone refurbishing the rubber wheels but it is not cheap. All in all I find it to be past the point of diminishing returns. You could buy it, play with it carefully and sell it without costing you much as long as it doesn't break down on you. I would get a Strymon over it for serious gigging or recording. YMMV.

• Members

If the motor burns out there are no replacements. It sounds pretty good, a bit noisy. Bulky, mono, the tape runs over the heads the whole time it is on, regardless if you are using the delay or not. Check that the metal on the heads is not worn. As well the rubber capstan gets dried out. There is someone refurbishing the rubbuer wheels but it is not cheap. All in all I find it to be past the point of diminishing returns. You could buy it, play with it carefully and sell it without costing you much as long as it doesn't break down on you. I would get a
RE-20
over it for serious gigging or recording. YMMV.

Fix'd

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Nothing sounds better than the re-201 if you're into anything psychedelic or dubby.

Did some maintenance on my re-201 recently, and I am stunned by the depth and richness of sound, I never knew it could sound that much better. It's truly phenomenal. Here's what I did:

1. Took out old the old tape
  2. cleaned the heads, and anywhere the tape goes (that's metal)
  3. de-magnatised the heads
  4. replaced the old felts
  5. replaced the tape-feed bearing with a new one
  6. replaced the rubber roller bearing on the motor
  7. put in a new tape

And hey presto!  A kick-arse space echo, that sounds like it was bought in 1973, and there is virtually no wow and flutter now.

My only problem now, is that I only have one of these!!

Archived