Squier Bass VI is here!

• Members

ooh.. that JM is begging to get some WRHB's in it. i hope they do another colour though..

sunburst VI is looking too good to pass up aswell. blocks and binding is an excellent addition.

i wonder if the bridge pickup is a disguised humbucker like the Fender versions "jazzmaster" pickup?!

any idea if the VI could handle an A-A tuning? i had a MIJ VI in the 90's but didn't think to try any different tunings.

also, if Fender are selling necks seperately now it would be great if they did some conversion necks for extended scale length.. like 26-27"

good work Squier/Fender!

• Members

This is **** exciting. I think I'm going to get the white one and switch the pickgaurd for white..... although, where does one buy a white Bass VI pickgaurd?

Also, censoring? Really? How far you've fallen Harmony Central......

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What do you guys think of slapping some of these in one:

http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/creamery-handwound-alt-88-jaguar-pickup.html

They seem like they'd have more output and drive pedals a bit better. Obviously can't find anyone with experience with these specifically in a Bass VI. Can't seem to find too much information on people putting different pickups in them at all for that matter. I'd imagine louder and a little brighter would be a good thing on a Bass VI.

• Members

Yeah, most of the demo's for this don't seem particularly dark or muddy, but they are internet demos.

Also:

Does anyone know where you can get a pickgaurd that's actually made for a Fender Bass VI? Warmoth seems to make "Bass VI" pickgaurds, but the shape is a little off near the neck:

Warmoth Bass VI Pickgaurd

Sad Darwin wrote:

What do you guys think of slapping some of these in one:

http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/creamery-handwound-alt-88-jaguar-pickup.html

They seem like they'd have more output and drive pedals a bit better. Obviously can't find anyone with experience with these specifically in a Bass VI. Can't seem to find too much information on people putting different pickups in them at all for that matter. I'd imagine louder and a little brighter would be a good thing on a Bass VI.

I've read some good reports about those, although I've never heard any in person myself. Of course, I have no idea what's going to be in the new Squier for certain, although if they're the same as the Duncan Designed pickups in the Squier VM Jaguar, they're not bad sounding pickups, and definitely not at all dark sounding - well, except in the rhythm circuit setting, but that's the result of the 50k tone pot / .01 mfd cap combo used in that circuit, not the pickup.

The ones you linked to are definitely hotter than most vintage Jag pickups, and that usually means less highs, not more. However, most Jag pickups are reasonably bright, and with three of them in various positions, the short scale Bass VI design is typically capable of providing a variety of different sounds - including some pretty bright tones. We'll just have to see how the stock pickups sound. Based on that, you'll have to decide if a replacement set is called for or not. An electronics / pickup upgrade is definitely not an uncommon user installed mod for some of the less expensive guitars on the market.

And to me, that's kind of the double entendre of the whole "Vintage Modified" moniker - yes, it's a classic vintage design with some Squier installed modern modifications, but they're priced low enough that you can throw a few more bucks into modding them yourself to suit your tastes without blowing a huge chunk of change on it. Different pickups, or maybe a new pickguard, some hardware upgrades here or there, heck, even a DIY refinish like Travis recently did to his VM Jazzmaster... there's lots of upgrade options and possibilities. :)

Archived