TheTsuchiyaSeven EP

Bucksstudent

• Members

https://soundcloud.com/patrickaei/sets/thetsuchiyaseven-ep

I think the Effects forum would appreciate this more since the HCEG forum thinks I play through a mountain of effects. :smiley-rotfl:

Basically TheTsuchiyaSeven was a side-project when I briefly retired recording under the Patrick Aei moniker. Some of you may have heard the first two albums on Soundcloud when I had TheTsuchiyaSeven account.

To make this relevant, I want to be a little self-indulgent about my gear.

For the opening song, "Desolved Age," I used a keyboard, but I kind of took a new age route when I plugged in my Ovation with some chorus and delay. The electric part in the background is my old DeArmond M-70 with a crazy amount of flange and delay. I originally designed the flange channel for Ebow, because I liked how the warble effected the sustain. Normally, I wouldn't play with heavy effects other than reverb.

For "White Leather," the heavy parts actually come more from the bass guitar rather than a distorted guitar, which was my Ibanez AS73. I wanted a really saturated sounding sound. The sort of whale-effect you hear is just reverb, distortion, and a noise gate. Nothing over the top in terms of the number of effects. The drum machine is of course over the top, which I love in hip-hop, but the actual beat pattern, which I think is in 3/4 time, came from a Masami Tsuchiya song, though I'm not entirely sure which one.

"Assisted Living Room" is my Ibanez, Epi Les Paul, and a Rickenbacker 12 string thrown in. The main effect comes from Ebow rather than a specific pedal, but I did put a different pitch on each guitar for a more keyboard-like effect. The song was, believe it not, supposed to be a very ballad-sounding track because I took the very expressive beat from Masami Tsuchiya's "The Forever Hour," which is also in 3/4 time.

"Windchime Experience" was originally a disaster, because I recorded a single guitar track, and expected to go in and work on it with other parts on top. However, there were about three versions of this song in all, and I could not find the right sound. Most of the cooler effects I do come from post-production when I alter tracks, and I came up with the Windchime effect that you hear by toying with the basic track and a different version that had many different parts on top. Of course, there is the Ibanez AS73 playing the clean part, the Gibson SG and Les Paul somewhere in the mix, and you can hear the Rickenbacker and Ovation in there as well.

So if you dig it, let me know. If not, thanks for listening.

• Members

I think it was in 2006... My uncle bought me the Digitech RP-150 for Christmas. For years, my family would draw names out of a hat, and each of the adults would buy one of the grandchildren a present. This was the last year of that tradition, but I asked him for a Foxx foot phaser, and he got me the Digitech RP-150 instead. Of course, I was initially disappointed. A year before, my grandmother was going to buy me a nice amp, so I asked for a Marshall. I didn't know what model I wanted; I just wanted a Marshall. Of course, my grandmother relied on my uncle, and he got me a Line 6 Spider II instead. I came around to like that amp as well.

I didn't even know that I could record directly into my laptop with the Digitech until 2013. By then, I couldn't really update the firmware because I run Windows 7 and the software is outdated, but I suddenly had a much better studio setup all in this one pedal. I've since heard of players like Bill Nelson recording full albums with their Pods.

I'd love to have a Digitech RP-355, because it has more amp and effects models, as well as a looper, but I've been pleased with my RP-150.

I recorded this EP and my upcoming 29th album with the RP-150.

Archived