OWL Programmable Effect Pedal

juri

• Members

I bought one too (on the first day already, I was waiting for the Kickstarter since I discovered the site).

It's nice that it's possible to program in easy languages, that's the reason I never bought the Line 6 Tonecore development kit (some people warned me it was not easy and I probably wouldn't have time to learn it).

I hope they reach the next "stretch goals" too :D

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Four knobs, no visual feedback. I feel like the core idea is great, but the execution, aesthetics, etc. could use improvement.

I'd love for someone to just design something like Reaktor or the nord modular into a box for guitarists.

• Members

^^--, yeah, it would be an improvement even to only add markings on the knobs, at whatever interval it can reliably use the increments as a switch when needed. I also wouldn't call C++ programming or any language at that level of DSP programming "easy", and an online patch library isn't programming at all. It would be more interesting to most, or me anyway, to see something with a block-level drag-and-drop programming function. Even that would perhaps be more just a multi-effect with extremely flexible routing, though. I'm thinking of some of the modular synth based softsynths you can get, where you grab modules like oscillators and filters and draw lines to wire 'em up. With enough modules including some deep-parameter ones and maybe some setup where you can contract a programmer to tweak modules for you, this could be very powerful. Even programmers would probably appreciate a more natural top-level modularity. Certainly thinking in analog, it would great if once you wired up a distortion stage, you could then copy and paste it a few times, grab a tonestack and other goodies from a library and be doing something 10x as complex in 5 minutes, without getting 10 times as many bad connections as a breadboard. 

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Here's my initial review:

The pedals were shipped out and I still have mine. They work pretty well but the amount of patches and the quality of the patches has been a little underwhelming.

The OWL Project consists of 3 modules source code wise, all available on GitHub.

1) OwlSim OWL VST plugin

Used to develop your patches, load it into a DAW to test.

2) OwlNest

Used to control the settings (via USB) on your OWL Pedal. This allows you to select the patch from the list of patches loaded on your OWL as well as load a new version of the FirmWare.

3) OwlWare and OwlBoot

This is the firmware (bin file) that is uploaded onto the OWL pedal.

Features:

The pedal itself is stereo and you can run 2 patches on it. You can switch between the two patches by clicking the LED on the pedal. Patches can be run in series, parallel or one at a time. There's also an expression input available.

I had a little issue uploading it from my windows machine but they posted some driver instructions so I got that to work.

Limitations:

Some of the patches were too heavy for the CPU resulting in some distorted sounds, the pedal is true bypass but when engaged it's completely digital (no analog dry through path). The power requirements are 500ma which I think it too much for a pedal on a pedal board with a Pedal Power.

Conclusion:

If you want to mess around coding patches and using them in a pedal format this is a great way to start for sure. Downloading the VST allows you to try out what is out there for free if you are ever interested in seeing what current state is of the patches available for the OWL pedal.

Latest Revision - Rev004

The last revision is a big improvement, it has 56 patches now and some of the patches come from other open source projects like Faust/Guitarix.

http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/related-projects/guitarix

Future:

Rebel Technology (the makers of the OWL Pedal) is releasing a modular version (euro rack) of the OWL as well as integration with Faust and Tannhäuser PureData to allow you to develop patches without writing any code.

Demo Videos:

http://hoxtonowl.com/2014/07/demo-videos/

Price:

You can pre-order for £249 ($425.45)

They have a sell/buy section in their forum if you are ever interested in getting one at a lower price.

Archived