Delay pedals, let's talk about them. What's your favorite?

BHz_econo

• Members

The Skrecho is my favorite.  It's outlasted everything else.  It has a great range of tones, the limiter which allows me to oscillate without the runoff volume spikes and the loop.  

So what is your favorite?  I'm sure there will be lots of DMM, DM-2, EP-3, etc.  Tell me about your favorite... 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure I'll get some crap for this, but I went through a few analog delays and none of them had ALL of the features that I wanted. So I saved up and bought a Memory Lane 2. It simply sounds beautiful and has all of the features I'll ever need. It's extremely easy to get a great sound out of it.

I know some folks frown at people recommending what they have on their board every time. I don't get that. Why wouldn't you? I've been through so much different gear over the years. The ones I would recommend are the ones I've kept around.

• Members

Humble apologies James. Soon very soon.

Anyway, deluxe pitch pirate and echolution for me. The dpp for the last three years? Two maybe?

Echolution didn't get much love, i sold it to see the greener grass. The grass was brown an dead, echolution is king. I could just sell the dpp. But i don't. Echolution just does it for mr, reverse sounds like i want it, the modulation is beautiful. The multi taps are great, kinda like the echorec (sort of).

I don't use tap cause, why would i? great on bass, the dpp is not. I don't know why it is not loved, but doesn't matter great delay.

• Members

plaidbeer wrote:

I don't really have a favorite as I've liked them all--M9, DelayLab, VD-400, Repeater, DD-7, MS-70CDR. 

I've never owned or used any of the "classic" analog delays such as a DMM, DM-2, etc.

Plaidbro, tell me more about the zoom. I hear purists complain about degrading toan, etc. How's it working for you?

• Members

I haven't tried a lot of delay pedals, but I really like my Hardwire DL-8. I mainly just stick to the modulated setting for leads, but I've been messing around with the lo-fi and tape settings and liking them. The reverse setting is great, too. I WILL find an excuse to use it in a song one of these days.

• Members

primal1 wrote:

I haven't tried a lot of delay pedals, but I really like my Hardwire DL-8. I mainly just stick to the modulated setting for leads, but I've been messing around with the lo-fi and tape settings and liking them. The reverse setting is great, too. I WILL find an excuse to use it in a song one of these days.

I really liked the lofi setting on the DL-8 when I had it.

• Members

You can control any pot on the dd7 with an expression pedal. Which if you set the minium delay time really really low, you can make a very nice manually controlled chorus. I also enjoy controlling the echo level or the feedback amount. It nice to have those options. The dd20 as far as i know does not let you pick and choose the expression pedal parameters and max levels of the parameters.

• Members

I had so much delay pedals ! Empress, Eventide, Strymon, Boss dm2, dd3, DMM Big Box and 1100tt (that one sounds so cold), Zoom, Ibanez, all the Malekko echo 300 and 600... My favorite so far is the Maxon AD900 ! It's almost a reverb, and its bypass does something sweet to the sound.

• Members

It doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I love the wide ranging capabilities of the DL4. Maybe because it's my first and only delay pedal, but I really have nothing bad to say about it. However it's not suitable for those who want to easily SELECT - say - a dotted eigth without having to TAP it in.

Archived