how to determine what amp could work for live situation?

samal50

• Members

I've heard of 65 watts solid state is "adequate" or 15 watts tube is also OK. This is for guitars. I've never been able to try an amp cranked up since I live in an apartment so I have no idea if 65 watts is OK. One guy told me that the amp I inquired about MAY not be able to keep up with the drummer. It's 175 watts RMS solid state:

http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/vector-fs8/

It's also for using my BOSS SY-300 guitar synth. Do you think the 8" speaker is just too small?

• Members

I recommend a Fender Mustang IV. They are not very expensive to buy used.

It is a stereo amplifier with two 12" speakers (like a Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus) at 75 Watts per speaker.

The aux input allows the user to plug an mp3 player (or any other stereo audio source) into the amp without being affected by the modeling preamp. This feature alone makes it ideal for your guitar synth - it's nice to have a stereo amp for synth.

All that being said, the main reason I like the Mustang IV is because it sounds very good with electric guitar and has enough power for just about any situation.

Although it is about the same size as a Fender Twin Reverb it is lightweight and easy to move around.

• Members

I have an old Fender Twin Reverb, Paul Rivera design push pull master volume. They are 135 watts.

Not as loud as the 100 watt Mesa Tverb combo I owned. I only sold the Tverb as it weighed in a 98 lbs. The thing sounded amazing though.

These days I choose my amps more by what I can pick up and not get hurt doing.

• Members

Basically what your looking at is a powered monitor. Which in itself is ideal for use with a guitar synth, although when it comes to volume, aside from wattage speaker size is also important. Moving more air so to say. Although I cant say with that unit, as it may be loud as hell. But I'm an OG so give me at least 12 inch speakers. However as that synth unit if not mistaken is mono only I see no benefit of a stereo rig. But that's not to say more is not better in my book. I figure if we're going to move some air lets move a lot of it. I use a GR-55 myself and while not ideal for live work as it can be a bit quirky and throw you an unexpected curve ball from time to time, but for home studio use its a kick in the ass. In which case I just run it to the powered mixer and pair of 15 inch studio monitors. Live on the other hand I'm about as low tech old school cheap as it gets. Basically just an old Fender FM 212r. All they were was loud with a sterile clean channel , that's about it. Granted I run the mag pickups out to a 100w tube amp and 412 cab. But on the hex pickup side that little Fender is more than adequate. Plus it only weighs about 40 pounds and cost me $75 bucks.

• Members
Basically what your looking at is a powered monitor. Which in itself is ideal for use with a guitar synth' date=' although when it comes to volume, aside from wattage speaker size is also important. Moving more air so to say. Although I cant say with that unit, as it may be loud as hell. But I'm an OG so give me at least 12 inch speakers. However as that synth unit if not mistaken is mono only I see no benefit of a stereo rig. . . .[/quote']

It has separate left and right outputs but I can't find anything that indicates whether it's stereo or mono, except that the right output is "mono". I do agree on a bigger speaker. 10" is pretty much the minimum I'd use for live playing. I hear you on the FM212R. I still own an FM65R (basically a single speaker version of the 212) that was my first halfway decent amp. Lightweight (32 lbs.), loud as heck, and good cleans.

• Members
It's also for using my BOSS SY-300 guitar synth. Do you think the 8" speaker is just too small?

For practice it might be OK but playing live? A synth of any kind is similar to a bass guitar when it comes to consuming power.

If you have some idea of what band you'll be playing with, then I'd suggest you check and see what they use for gear first, then you can buy an amp which is comparable in power.

If you don't have a band then its pretty much guesswork on what you'll need. You can pretty much bet you'll need at least 30W to compete with a live drummer on an unmiced amp. Typically you'd need a higher wattage SS amp but a guitar synth pushes a hot signal so you may not need it.

I probably wouldn't go any smaller then a 12" speaker with a guitar synth. Cost wise one of those Champ 40's for $199 might be ideal with a small band https://www.samash.com/fender-champion-40-guitar-combo-amplifier-f23303000

For most rock bands you might want to go with something like a Champ 100 for $300. Fenders SS amps tend to be clean and you can run something like a synth and get pretty good fidelity form a SS amp. https://www.samash.com/champion-100-guitar-combo-amplifier-open-box-f2330400d?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Outlet%20Center-_-Channeladvisor-_-Fender+Champion+100+Guitar+Combo+Amplifier+Open+Box&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=500002510000078673&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=65401041828&CATCI=pla-470679631177&CATARGETID=500002510000150707&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhLi-0Jqm3AIV3LjACh03VQ92EAYYBSABEgLnZPD_BwE

• Members

Those are guitar amps you linked. I'm not sure if they're considered full range speakers.

I've looked into powered PA speakers either the Yamaha DXR10 (10 inches) or the Electro-Voice ZLX-12P (12 inches). Since I'd be singing as well, I figured I could use this for both guitar synth and vocals since these PA speakers have 2 or 3 channel mixers.

• Members

Lucky you, you got a 100 w tube amp and 412 cab for $75? Most people on craigslist appear to be selling things at close to retail as if they know its value brand new (since they probably stole the thing at retail value! lol).

Archived