100 watt amp that fits on your pedalboard.

mikesr1963

• Members

I don't see any advantage to it myself. They've made amps with pedals built in, they've made amps for pedal boards and I see it as one of those ideas that make me ask why. Who the heck wants to bend over and adjust their amp head on the friggin floor? With pedals, year you set them for fixed settings and then you can turn them on and off from the floor. I'd want my amp head elevated where it doesn't get stepped on or full of dirt. They tend to be expensive and you wouldn't want them all beat up.

Channel switching on the unit itself is a massively stupid idea too. Anyone whose used a multieffects pedal board knows foot switches have a limited lifespan. With a regular head, channel/effects foot switches are an option that plug in. If a switch goes bad it doesn't take the head down You can still run the head without the switches and you can either repair or replace the switches as needed without sending you head off for an expensive factory rebuild.

• Members
I don't see any advantage to it myself. They've made amps with pedals built in, they've made amps for pedal boards and I see it as one of those ideas that make me ask why. Who the heck wants to bend over and adjust their amp head on the friggin floor? With pedals, year you set them for fixed settings and then you can turn them on and off from the floor. I'd want my amp head elevated where it doesn't get stepped on or full of dirt. They tend to be expensive and you wouldn't want them all beat up.

Channel switching on the unit itself is a massively stupid idea too. Anyone whose used a multieffects pedal board knows foot switches have a limited lifespan. With a regular head, channel/effects foot switches are an option that plug in. If a switch goes bad it doesn't take the head down You can still run the head without the switches and you can either repair or replace the switches as needed without sending you head off for an expensive factory rebuild.

Do many fly in dates do you?

• Members

No, my touring days with bands were back in the 80's. I do studio work mostly now. I only play out a half dozen or so times per year any more. For travel I may average two 1700 mile trips per year when visit NJ from TX and gig with my old Jersey Shore band.

If I fly - my buddies have plenty of extra gear I can borrow so Its not like I have to haul anything. I also know several music store owners who will loan me anything I need. When I fly I take my Steinberger which fits in the overhead and I carry a small multi effects pedal with the tones I use pre programed. All I need is a clean amp and I can get any sound I need.

I've used enough gear over the years where I can adapt to just about anything. Countless open mic nights and touring with other bands, using their gear. One band would provide the gear for the night and you'd alternate every so often so one band isn't working harder for the money. The most you did was plug in and use your own pedals. It wasn't that hard to get most amps to sound good and the sound man took care of the rest.

So long as it sounds good, pays good and the audience enjoys it, the gear itself isn't that big a deal. People who obsess over their gear (other then simply getting a decent sound) often forget its the music and the performance is what moves people, not the gear you use. A typical listener doesn't know the difference between one instrument and another no less what kind of amp is used. All they know is if it sounds good.

If there was another musician in the audience who might recognize the gear you have you'd be wasting your time trying to impress them with your gear too. The only thing that will impress him is your musical performance and even there, if you have decent tone, just the fact you are playing out and being paid to do so sets you ahead of the guy who isn't playing for a living.

Archived