Anyone try Katana Air on batteries yet?

Emory

• Members

I know most of you guys are for all sorts of Mesa tube Marshall etc spendy thumpers, but someone (like me) requires a decent battery powered amp. I've seen a couple reviews of the Air, but none regarding performance on batteries. Reason I ask is I got one of those Vox Adio amps, which has elements of great when plugged in (Condition I tried it at store) but volume levels with batteries not adequate, especially cleans. I play with friends at beach, and buddies old Micro Cube left the Adio behind, "adios"... haha. At $400 they don't give the Katana away, and I don't want to be disappointed again....

Thanks guys and gals

• Members
I know most of you guys are for all sorts of Mesa tube Marshall etc spendy thumpers' date=' but someone (like me) requires a decent battery powered amp. I've seen a couple reviews of the Air, but none regarding performance on batteries. Reason I ask is I got one of those Vox Adio amps, which has elements of great [u']when plugged in[/u] (Condition I tried it at store) but volume levels with batteries not adequate, especially cleans. I play with friends at beach, and buddies old Micro Cube left the Adio behind, "adios"... haha. At $400 they don't give the Katana away, and I don't want to be disappointed again....

Thanks guys and gals

I have not seen one yet. However, I have a Yamaha thr10c.

The Boss/ Roland looks interesting. Wireless to boot.

I play the Yamaha thr10c, more than I ever thought I would. That is when I'm not digging in on an acoustic.

I can only speak for the Yamaha, I do notice a difference in volume with batteries, but it's not that much depending on your needs. I'm sure you notice a drop in volume.

The Roland is pretty new. Are you going to grab one?

I have a Roland AC33, that is not bad. One thing about Roland/ Boss stuff is, it holds up and rarely breaks down.

I also have many many tube amps.

• Members

I've a THR 10. My big complaint is if you exceed some volume level it just shuts down on batteries, so have to flip flip the switch. None of my other battery amps do that (and I've got lots of them). Will I buy one? Maybe when I go to US in August... walking into a store with all those TOYS! is overwhelming when away for a year. I have the Katana mini(light as an empty lunch box, and decent sound). My fave is Fender Mini Mustang (which they stopped making, natch). Roland/Boss is pretty darn durable... haven't played basketball with my 13 yr old micro cube.. yet...

• Members

I got the Katana 50 for my grand nephew who is now off to uni to study music and languages, along with giving him my 1999 Guild Starfire IV (on condition he never sells it). Great amps

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I got a 5 string bass the other week, and have used THR 10 for amp as it does have bass choice. Oddly, it doesn't shut down when turned up. I thought that might be more likely as bass seems to need more power to put out those tones. Life is full of surprises.

Archived