Blackstar or Katana 50

paulintheuk

• Members

hi all,

this has possibly been posted a million times before but it’s been a long time since I was here...

I’ve recently sold my 75 SF Champ (yes I know, it hurts) but I needed an amp with headphone option (toddlers x 2) and I’m considering either an ID15 or 30 or the Katana 50. It’s only going to be for home use, I just want a good tone...

Opinions?

• Members

When I am messing around my house with an electric guitar, what I have been using is Yamaha thr10c

You may like the higher gain models, but I like classic old skool.

Sorry, you had to part ways with your SF Champ.

Something like this might work for you. I just sit at my computer desk and play or write. Sometimes with headphones on sometimes not.

[video=youtube;OhtxUxNPTlM]

[video=youtube;QCDY6rZTri8]

[video=youtube;otB4RQ_vdhE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've recently given up on tubes and sold my '74 SF Princeton Reverb for considerably more than I paid for it.

I stll need a small portable great sounding amp and number one on my list is the Katana 50. I spent several hours test driving one in the store yesterday and I'm really impressed with what it can do for the price.

The very thing that makes tube amps great is also their weakness. I don't think we need to tolerate the weakness any more because the new (non tube) amps are sounding much better these days.

• Members

No experience with the Blackstar but I have a Roland Cube, which is the previous version of the Katana, and I like it. If anything, I'd expect the Katana to be better. That said, I haven't had a reason to use the headphone output so I can't comment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

A friend of mine has a Katana 100, and it's a lot of fun to program via computer. The presets are all horrible but it will do any sound you want it to do within reason.

It's doesn't feel like a tube amp at all but it's a good tool, I would never use it live though.

Archived