2nd Cab Cross Stage

Sculptair

• Members

I bought a 2x12 vertical slant recto cab along with my Mark V because I liked it's versatile sonic range and clarity for all of the musical styles that I like to play. Also, as a vertical slant it projects the sound in a focused vertical slice that allows me to hear my playing the best above all others. Unfortunately this slice cuts both ways and several drummers and bassists that I have played with in various rooms have asked me to turn up the volume on my amp which never seems to make things better as they quite naturally play louder in response. As a consequence I have metered some rehearsals north of 110db. That is much too loud for me and hurts my hearing. Some have asked me to rotate the amp towards them which of course points the sonic slice at stage center where the vocalist complains that the guitar is too loud and he can't hear himself. Also, in that configuration I cannot hear myself well enough. So I'm thinking about adding a 1x12 recto cabinet and pointing it cross stage so that the drummer and bass player get plenty of guitar mojo without the vocalist and myself going deaf. It sounds good in theory, but I'm wondering if any if you have done this and can share the results? Thx.

• Members

I use a small amplifier and put it through the monitors to distribute the sound around the stage. That way, the individual players can get as much (or as little) guitar as they would like and FOH does not have to deal with a loud amplifier on stage.

• Members

I've done dual guitar amps and bass amps on stage a few times. Having the cab cross stage does nothing for you as a player because you cant hear it that far away. Hauling that gear is a real chore too. What works better for me is a 4X10" open backed cab for stage dispersal if you keep the amp parallel to the drummer what comes out the back can be heard at the back of the stage without overwhelming the singer.

The other option is like others say, Mic the amp and run a little through the monitors. It will sound better for others on stage and to the audience.

• Members

nr one thing is keeping stage volume as low as possible. if a drummer and bassist can't hear you and your mark V through a 2x12 either the stage is too big or they are too loud themselves. adding an additional cabinet into the equation just adds additional problems.

micing your amp is normally standard at almost every venue nowadays, so it should always be an option putting the guitar in the monitors. but this could muddy up the monitor sound, cause the more instruments and vocals you put there the harder it gets to get a good monitor mix for everybody :(

i like to keep everything which does not need to go through the monitors to keep out of them, so e.g. you get really controll on vocals and keys etc.

e.g. putting a bass in the monitor makeing almost everything else unhearable

having a good stage volume needs practice and experience of the band and the band needs to learn together how to achieve this as a common goal. instead of turning something up, everybody should try to turn down and give everybody else space

i'm not saying you should stop being the loudest punk or metal band in the world, but you should adjust yourself as a band to sound good and you can make it even loud on stage if adjusted right,

the FOH will make it loud than for everybody else

edit:

oh and i forgot another important point, frequency seperation, if your guitar sound is so bass heavy that you fish in the same area as the bass and the bass drum, you fight for the same space and the strongest wins and is the only one which can be heard.

that often does not sound good. each of its own might sound great, but together you only hear mud. try to remove some lows, add some mids and some highs on your guitar, this can do wonders.

you don't need to kill your perfect doom metal ooomph sound, but let the bass do its job and the guitars its and together they sound much better

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. We can have the monitors reconfigured so the drummer and bassist can have their own mix in that channel of a 2 channel amp. I was just looking at the Behringer XR series of mixers. Very cool indeed if we can move up to personal monitor mixes.

Archived