Wanting a new amp but not needing one

OGC_2667

• Members

Hey guys I've read this forum for awhile and just now signed up. I have a 6505+ with an overdrive and MXR 10 band eq. I love the sound it gives me but I'm kinda craving something different. I was thinking of maybe trying a Randall Satan, Dual Rec, or maybe Orange. Do you think its a case of the grass is greener on the other side or do you think the difference is great enough to justify the extra expense of another amp? I would like to get something with a more doom/stoner metal type but maybe I could get that with some pedals?

'

• Members
Hey guys I've read this forum for awhile and just now signed up. I have a 6505+ with an overdrive and MXR 10 band eq. I love the sound it gives me but I'm kinda craving something different. I was thinking of maybe trying a Randall Satan' date='[b'] Dual Rec, or maybe Orange[/b]. Do you think its a case of the grass is greener on the other side or do you think the difference is great enough to justify the extra expense of another amp? I would like to get something with a more doom/stoner metal type but maybe I could get that with some pedals?

'

Nice choice.

Put that Peavey on a shelf and do a Mesa or an Orange.

I have a few amps, well more than a few, and I got something else on my list these days.

You can never be to pretty, have to much money, or have too much gear. If you find yourself having too much music gear, you need a bigger place.

I have had about a 1/2 dozen Mesa amps over the decades. Nice stuff, but I sold most of my Mesa's as they were really heavy, only to make room for more stuff.

Don't go to your grave wishing you should have, could have, would have.

I probably have purchase a guitar for ever year I have been playing. Kept most of it to, with zero regrets.

Amps like wives come and go, there's a few choice ones you will treasure for a while.

• Members
How long have you had that 6505+? I think if it's more than 3 years' date=' you could buy a new amp. You need to show progress as a musician. And new gear should be A way.[/quote']

I have regressed over the decades to smaller amps and a more refined old skool sound.

• Members

I have regressed over the decades to smaller amps and a more refined old skool sound.

Funny you should mention that. :)

As clubs and other venues are now restricting louder volume, companies are going back to smaller, less powerful amps. I am feeling like I am back in my youth in the 1950's playing on my 1958 Fender Tweed Princeton amp again. In actuality, it is the only Fender amp I really miss.

I just got a Marshall 2525 Mini Jubilee for live work, but I did not get rid of my higher wattage Marshall.

I am finding that I really like the feel and sound of this smaller amp, but I miss playing on the big amps, as I have been doing it for so long.

• Members
How long have you had that 6505+? I think if it's more than 3 years' date=' you could buy a new amp. You need to show progress as a musician. And new gear should be A way.[/quote']

New gear is NOT progress as a musician!!!! Musical growth is. Get real.

If looking for different tones, different textures, then consider a new amp. Or maybe a set of pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been playing about 25+ years and am always learning new stuff besides taking lessons a couple times a month. I do believe change is good especially when you get in a rut. I'm looking into a Mesa. I've wanted one since I was a kid.

• Members

I compromised with myself. I currently have five amps. Three are all time favorites of mine that will never go away (The Valve 250/2, Univalve, and my Marshall 18 watt clone head.) The other two are used some, but they are fluid and come and go as trade fodder. I try new amps, new sounds, and if I like it I keep it a while. If I don't I get rid of it quickly. That way my stable IS stable, but I get to try things also.

Currently the other two are a THD Flexi and an Orange AD30HTC. I may trade the Flexi tomorrow for a BadCat Cougar 50 because I need a grab and go. I only have one combo right now. The others are all heads with various cab configurations.

Clubs around here are not regulating volume. Very normal to see Marshall half stacks, Mesa half stacks, AC30s and such being used, before they mic them into the systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I've been playing about 25+ years and am always learning new stuff besides taking lessons a couple times a month. I do believe change is good especially when you get in a rut. I'm looking into a Mesa. I've wanted one since I was a kid.

For doom, you need to sound BIG, look into a 100 watt. The difference between a 50 and a 100 watt Marshall (just for example) isn't so much volume it's feel, the 100 watt is just bigger sounding your chord word will have more girth and dynamics, 50's are get for getting a more compressed and sweet lead tone imo.:cool:

• Members

Picked up the BadCat amp and have to say that for an inexpensive amp, it is impressive. I really like the drive channel a lot. Clean channel is not as nice as my Valve, but is ok. Lead channel is a hot rodded Marshall 800. You are into serious drive at gain=3 and into heavy metal at gain=5. Beyond that is insane. way more gain on tap than I will ever need since I don't play metal. If I stay with gain between 1-3 I can cover every need I have. Overall, a very nice amp. I MAY (?) keep it.

Archived