Amp suggestion for the BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal?

samal50

• Members

The suggestion of a subwoofer was in the manual so I'm curious if any subwoofer could work or must it be specific for guitar synths and so on and if a pair is better than single, etc. Must I use a guitar amp or a powered speaker would actually be better since this is technically a synth guitar sound coming out of the speakers.

The suggestion of a subwoofer was in the manual so I'm curious if any subwoofer could work or must it be specific for guitar synths and so on and if a pair is better than single' date=' etc. Must I use a guitar amp or a powered speaker would actually be better since this is technically a synth guitar sound coming out of the speakers.[/quote']

A regular electric guitar amp would NOT be my recommendation for use with a guitar synth.

Instead, you'd want a full-range amp / speaker system. In other words, a bass amp (with a built-in tweeter), a keyboard amp, or a powered PA speaker would be a much better choice since all three of those have the ability to reproduce the wide range of frequencies that can be generated by a guitar synth - regular electric guitar amps are "bandwidth-limited", and are only designed to reproduce a narrow range of frequencies (typically something along with the lines of 80 Hz - 6 kHz or so), while a guitar synth can create sounds in higher and especially lower frequency ranges that might damage the speakers in a regular guitar amplifier.

You really don't need a separate "subwoofer" for use with a guitar synth as long as you're using a full-range amp / speaker system like the ones I already mentioned.

• Members

What Phil said. ^^

I have been using a guitar synth since the late 80's, and always use a bass amp, and the mixer for live situations. They tend to have a much wider range then a typical guitar amp. Roland makes a decent keyboard amp, and would be perfect for your Boss.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A regular electric guitar amp would NOT be my recommendation for use with a guitar synth.

Instead, you'd want a full-range amp / speaker system. In other words, a bass amp (with a built-in tweeter), a keyboard amp, or a powered PA speaker would be a much better choice since all three of those have the ability to reproduce the wide range of frequencies that can be generated by a guitar synth - regular electric guitar amps are "bandwidth-limited", and are only designed to reproduce a narrow range of frequencies (typically something along with the lines of 80 Hz - 6 kHz or so), while a guitar synth can create sounds in higher and especially lower frequency ranges that might damage the speakers in a regular guitar amplifier.

You really don't need a separate "subwoofer" for use with a guitar synth as long as you're using a full-range amp / speaker system like the ones I already mentioned.

Although I agree with your comments, I believe the aux input on the Fender Mustang IV has been EQed to produce a 'relatively' flat frequency response.

Although it is not really "hi-fi", using the Mustang IV for guitar and guitar synth makes for a convenient 'all in one' solution that's easy to carry around and setup.

I recently played guitar and keyboard at a blues gig on a very small stage with the Mustang IV. The keyboard parts were mostly Hammond and Rhodes bits - it was like playing a Rhodes through a Twin - and the compromise in fidelity was worth it for the convenience and the small footprint.

Archived