Delete

jjang1993

• Members

in my deluxe clone i put first to be more orignal a jensen p12r or so in it, it sounded too small an farty for me (i'm not a jazzer :))

and i replaced it with a celestion vintage 30, which sounds 1000 times better to my ears.

the downside the celestion is heavy as hell, hmmm at least the double weight

what i'm trying to tell, lighter speakers tendto have different sound quality, as the weight comes from the coil and the magnet and having bigger ones seems to improve quality

you might not like the sound if you put a lighter speaker in your champ 12 than you have now

• Members

Jenson Mod speakers don't sound all that hot. that are the poor mans version of what you already have so It would be a step down for you.

The lightest weight guitar speakers are the Alnico. The Jensen P12N weighs 3.31 Lbs.

If it was a bass amp where high wattage heavy magnet speakers are normally used a Neodymium speakers provide incredible wattages using small lightweight magnets. A few manufacturers like Celestion have been experimenting with making some guitar speakers like the new Creamback but because they are high wattage speakers they weight as much as what you have being over 4Lbs.

Personally I think the Alnico are the ideal speaker for a small tube amp and the Jensen specifically are the ones everyone else copies.

The British versions like the Blues and Silvers are much heavier because they add the bell covers which send the weight up to 10lbs.

You don't loose volume over a stock Fender speaker either. The SPL level on the Alnico is 93.7. A Jensen ceramic which is the type of speaker Fender has used (or a similar clone) is about the same.

The frequency response is a bit crisper but that's mostly because the cone is more touch sensitive to the strings, plus from your other posts that would be the direction you seem to like give the fact you roll your bass frequencies off. you simply don't need to roll them off as much.

• Members

You might want to check out the VOX (Celestion) Neo Dog speaker.

It might give you the sound you want and it weighs in around the 3.5 lbs range.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ikax9rinkqdgd0nsdxxl.jpg","data-attachmentid":32177717}[/ATTACH]

I don't know much about them but I played through a Neo Dog equipped AC30 Custom Classic that was part of a provided backline and I really liked the tone/weight ratio.

The Jensen C12R is just a hair over three pounds.

https://www.jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c12r

I don't think you'll find many 12" speakers that are significantly lighter than that. Generally with ceramic magnet-equipped speakers, the higher the wattage handling capacity, the larger the magnets and the heaver the speaker tends to be.

Remember too that the speaker efficiency (how loud it will get, given a certain amount of input power) is also going to be a factor - a less efficient speaker will make the amp sound quieter at any given setting. At ~92 dB SPL @ 1w / 1m, the C12R is a fairly inefficient speaker. I'm not sure if the stock (Eminence?) speaker is any more efficient, but if it is, you will probably notice a reduction in the amp's output levels compared to the stock speaker.

in my deluxe clone i put first to be more orignal a jensen p12r or so in it, it sounded too small an farty for me (i'm not a jazzer :))

and i replaced it with a celestion vintage 30, which sounds 1000 times better to my ears.

the downside the celestion is heavy as hell, hmmm at least the double weight

I have a Princeton Reverb II with the factory-optional EVM in it... it is actually a great speaker for jazz, but talk about HEAVY! :eek2::lol:

• Members

I have a Princeton Reverb II with the factory-optional EVM in it... it is actually a great speaker for jazz, but talk about HEAVY! :eek2::lol:

i just read the specs, the P12R is 1,5kg and the celestion vintage 30 is 4,7kg, the magnet of the vintage 30 alone is as heavy as the P12R :)

• Members

I was looking at the 25W P12N Alnico spec sheet which is 3.31Lbs not the C12R Ceramic. I didn't even realize Jensen made a ceramic that light but its efficiency pretty low so I wouldn't have recommended it anyway. His current Fender speaker likely has a mid 90's SPL and the P12N is 94dB so he's at least break even on loudness. The 50R is 97dB which is the most efficient in their Alnicos and possibly louder then all their 12's

You are looking at a ceramic specs which is a P12N. I didn't realize that one was actually lighter but its SPL is

• Members

all i can say, that my BOYC tweed royal did not sound good with the jensen p12r. it did not have enough volume, it distorted too early and it sounded farty and somehow bottom heavy not in a good way.

maybe for a jazz player, without any dirt or bloost pledal in front at lowest volume it might sound nice, but nothing near to neil young crunch sound which was the reason i went this direction. by swapping the jensen for a celestion vintage 30 was a change like night and day.

now the amp shines, has the clean headroom and the volume and the crunch sound what a tweet deluxe is famous for

i'm happy ever since and the extra weight is it worth

Archived