VOX NT15CL1 or BLACKSTAR HT20??

ksl

• Members

Anyone out there with any up close experiences with these 2 combos? One uses EL34's & the Vox uses their signature EL84's. Which one would offer more clean headroom? Thanks all!!

• Moderators

wow..oddly enough, I have both of these amps. I'll give the clean headroom edge to the BlackStar, and not because of the negligible 5w.

However, I did not buy either of these amps for their clean headroom. Both were purchased more for their overdrive channels, and again, I give the edge here to the HT20, mainly for its ability to go to Marshall land and back to Fender tone, with stops along the way with Vox-y-ness and even some Mesa-ness. I really like using them together using a AB-Y box on large out door stages, spread 15'-25' apart, with the NT on boost and the HT on the Marshall-y setting....and then switching them to clean together gets a very interesting Vox/Fender-y blend.

Individually, had I not already owned the NightTrain, given the 2 side by side, the BlackStar would have been the one....even if it is bigger and heavier.

These amps have eclipsed my two [mildly modded] Blues Juniors as my preferred stage amps.

I actually do have too many amps....blasphemy, I know, but true. ;)

Archived