Which Fender Blues Jr. to go with?

ksl

• Members

As I begin my search for another Blues Jr. 'Relic' to replace the one I sold, I'm overwhelmed by the so many other BJ models. Which ones have been proven to be better made & the most reliable, if any. Most of them are made in Mexico, but I did see one in black marked made in the USA. That kinda caught my attention, but who knows if it stands out. Any experienced users out there that can help me sort out this import/export, tweed/tolex, Jensen/Eminence/Fender speaker mess. I want reliability & great drive like I remember. (Don't we all!!) Thanks in advance to all you rockers!!

Kenny

• Members

That's exactly the reason the tweed ones sound better. They have an Italian made Jensen C12N. Some of the special edition ones have the Jensen too. Other than that, all Blues Juniors are pretty much the same as far as features. As for build quality I have no idea.

A good upgrade for the Blues Junior (because they are biased so hot) is to get a set of Russian military EL84 code named 6P14P-EV

They last longer and sound better than a standard EL84.

• Members

They stopped making the BJ in Corona, back in like 2003.

There's better shielding on the revreb in the newer ones.

I have a Tweed BJ and it's fine.

You can do a speaker and tube upgrade on them, and BillM rest his soul did an amazing job with upgrades.

Some of the white ones and other colored tolex were made for Musicians Friend.

They are a great grab and go amps, but so are a lot of other amps. Not in that price range though.

• Moderators

Basically they are pretty much the same as far as circuit. I have a USA [one from late 2001 in blond from MF] and a MiM [from early 2003 in blond from MF], and once I changed the speakers, upgraded the tubes and a couple other things, I can't really tell them apart as far as sound...they aeach have a different personality [different speakers...the USA has a CN12, the MiM has a Celestion Goldback] but they both complement each other when paired.

Why would you pay for a 'relic'? Cigarette burns and beer stains are easy enough to apply ;)

• Members
Basically they are pretty much the same as far as circuit. I have a USA [one from late 2001 in blond from MF] and a MiM [from early 2003 in blond from MF]' date=' and once I changed the speakers, upgraded the tubes and a couple other things, I can't really tell them apart as far as sound...they aeach have a different personality [different speakers...the USA has a CN12, the MiM has a Celestion Goldback'] but they both complement each other when paired.

Why would you pay for a 'relic'? Cigarette burns and beer stains are easy enough to apply ;)

I have no idea why people pay for relic-ing of anything.

Archived