I have realized, I'm an amp guy!

Daehtihs

• Members

Okay, I do like some pedals, but only dynamic ones like gates, EQ, compressors (clean sound only) never any modulation rarely if ever any delay maybe a subtle reverb that's it!

Right now I only have 5 amp heads, that's no where near enough! :angry21:

• Members
Congrats on the incoming JSX! :cool2:

Most of my amps are probably too small and low-wattage for your tastes - but I don't play live very often - I'm a studio guy, so I don't need lots of power. Think Princetons (I'm a big fan), AC15's - stuff like that.

Not at all, I fully intend on getting a tweed deluxe and deluxe reverb at some point, I just keep getting side tracked with gain monsters LOL!

• Members

What is it about the Princeton? Everybody rants and raves about them, I've never played through one.

Just the SWEETEST cleans. I believe the amps low wattage (12 watts) and tube rectifier give it some gentle compression. They can be cranked to distortion, but it doesn't sound so great, sort of like a tubby tubescreamer. Princeton reverb is all about the clean tube tone.

I just keep getting side tracked with gain monsters LOL!
Oh, man, you would have LOVED this forum about six, seven years ago! Most of the regular posters were fans of "gainy" amps like you.

• Members

Just the SWEETEST cleans. I believe the amps low wattage (12 watts) and tube rectifier give it some gentle compression. They can be cranked to distortion, but it doesn't sound so great, sort of like a tubby tubescreamer. Princeton reverb is all about the clean tube tone.

Thanks for explaining, the next time i see one I'm playing through it.

Oh, man, you would have LOVED this forum about six, seven years ago! Most of the regular posters were fans of "gainy" amps like you.

Did they all get day jobs or something? :D

Mr.Grumpy's correct - it's all about those beautiful clean tones when it comes to Princetons. The reverb-equipped models have a killer tube driven reverb, and all Princetons (except the tweeds and II series) also have a great sounding tube tremolo (labeled "vibrato") too. I think they're every bit as good, if not even a bit better at classic clean tones than the Twin Reverb. Again, I think Mr.Grumpy's on to something when he mentions that tube rectifier (which the Twin and other higher-powered Fender tube amps lack) - it gives the amp a somewhat more compressed sound and a squishier feel.

Princetons don't sound anywhere as cool as a 5E3 Deluxe when they're cranked up, but they're one of the best pedal platforms ever built IMO, and just a terrific choice as a recording amp. I've got a couple of them (including a 20W PR II, which is a bit of a different beast that has some Mesa Boogie influences) and they're my main / go-to amps.

• Members
Mr.Grumpy's correct - it's all about those beautiful clean tones when it comes to Princetons. The reverb-equipped models have a killer tube driven reverb, and all Princetons (except the tweeds and II series) also have a great sounding tube tremolo (labeled "vibrato") too. I think they're every bit as good, if not even a bit better at classic clean tones than the Twin Reverb. Again, I think Mr.Grumpy's on to something when he mentions that tube rectifier (which the Twin and other higher-powered Fender tube amps lack) - it gives the amp a somewhat more compressed sound and a squishier feel.

Princetons don't sound anywhere as cool as a 5E3 Deluxe when they're cranked up, but they're one of the best pedal platforms ever built IMO, and just a terrific choice as a recording amp. I've got a couple of them (including a 20W PR II, which is a bit of a different beast that has some Mesa Boogie influences) and they're my main / go-to amps.

My friends who are Fender guys are also really good with pedals they all have amazing tone! I've thought about going in that direction but I've never been satisfied with the high gain sounds I got from pedals, and I cant see very well so I don't like to have to look down at my feet, the effects I do use are on top of my amp, it works for me. I think in the studio I could experiment more with a platform setup though.

If I'm not using pedals for higher gain tones, I usually use one of my other amps that break up more pleasantly, or nastily, depending on your perspective. :lol: I have a Marshall Class 5 that breaks up early and really well (it really comes to life when you hit it with a treble booster or a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret), as well as a couple of other things. Sometimes I'll use the Princeton for the clean and crunch tones and overdub solos with different amps.

For live use, I usually take my Princeton Reverb II (which has an EVM in it - so even though it's only 20W, it's loud), along with an AC15cc1 (which has a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo), and I run the pair in stereo.

• Members

I found out I am just a gearhead in general. I have dropped more than few dollars into pedals this year. I also acquired 5-6 new guitars this year (counting the current Tele parts caster project), and it seems I now have a separate combo or half stack for every guitar. They are paired into rigs that sound their best with each other, although I sometimes play mix-n-match. I tend to like high gain amps (die hard Marshall-holic it seems) but this year bought a slightly lower gain (and volume) Marshall 18 watt. As I venture to spread taste more, I find I need to own at least one cleaner amp and have my eye on either a Matchless or a Victoria. I know they are not in the same camp but I really like them both. A Matchless has been my primary lust for three+ years so if I find mine, it may be enough. I like them (all). :-)

• Members
I found out I am just a gearhead in general. I have dropped more than few dollars into pedals this year. I also acquired 5-6 new guitars this year (counting the current Tele parts caster project)' date=' and it seems I now have a separate combo or half stack for every guitar. They are paired into rigs that sound their best with each other, although I sometimes play mix-n-match. I tend to like high gain amps (die hard Marshall-holic it seems) but this year bought a slightly lower gain (and volume) Marshall 18 watt. As I venture to spread taste more, I find I need to own at least one cleaner amp and have my eye on either a Matchless or a Victoria. I know they are not in the same camp but I really like them both. A Matchless has been my primary lust for three+ years so if I find mine, it may be enough. I like them (all). :-)[/quote']

I love Matchless too, they have this harmonic complexity that I have not heard in any other amp.

• Members

Jose arredondo modded Marshall's and their derivatives like Cameron's and some of the Bogner's have that sound and Friedman's *drools*

Did Cameron ever get over his business problems from years ago? Is he still viable? I met hm at the New York amp show, I guess at his peak of success and controversy.

• Members

Did they all get day jobs or something? :D

Don't worry, I'm a metaller :cool11:and get ribbed by the traditional classic rock crowd here all the time. It's all in good fun. :D:lol:

I say I'm a metaller, but I play everything. I mean, why not. :D:lol: Metal is my preference though, even most people like anything but the metal that I play. HA!

• Members

Don't worry, I'm a metaller :cool11:and get ribbed by the traditional classic rock crowd here all the time. It's all in good fun. :D:lol:

I say I'm a metaller, but I play everything. I mean, why not. :D:lol: Metal is my preference though, even most people like anything but the metal that I play. HA!

Good to know man! I like to play So-cal style punk and old school thrash! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Did Cameron ever get over his business problems from years ago? Is he still viable? I met hm at the New York amp show, I guess at his peak of success and controversy.

No I don't believe so, others has picked up the Jose mods though, Ceriatone being one.

• Members

I'm a guitar guy, having over 70. Pedals, maybe about 10, and amps..... 2 that I use, (Roland Bolt 60 hybrid, Roland Original Bluescube 60.) A bass amp that rarely gets turned on (Roland again BN60) and the best little amp ever made, the Yamaha THR10.

I find that the two Rolands, give me the tones I hunt and crave, all at a "reasonable" volume. (Reasonable volume defined by the wife at home!) It's funny, but I feel a good amps job is to remain as transparent as possible, while amplifying the natural tone of the guitar. I don't want to hear the amp, I want to hear the guitar.

Archived