I just bought a Peavey JSX head in great condition for $450 at GC

Daehtihs

• Members

Haven't tried that one. Most of my experience is with their SS line and repair of some of their Tube bass amps. They're tube heads tend to be built much better then their SS amps. Better caps, pots you name it. Any tube head these days is a good deal if you buy low sell high.

I'm not a huge fan of much peavey gear besides the 500W PA Power head I own.

Its a far cry from the powered PA 600 mixer we used back in the 70's. We used to sing through this piece of crud with a pair of Cerwin Vega cabs. Last I checked my old bass player still owns it.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for 1970 Peavey PA 600","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"551","width":"734","src":"http:\/\/springfieldmusicstore.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/5785.jpg"}[/img2]

• Members

No experience with that amp. The only Peavey product I have owned was one of these.

Sat in the back of my car as a back up, and I sold it a year later.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"PeaveyEncore65.jpg","data-attachmentid":32164936}[/ATTACH]

• Members
No experience with that amp. The only Peavey product I have owned was one of these.

Sat in the back of my car as a back up, and I sold it a year later.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"PeaveyEncore65.jpg","data-attachmentid":32164936}[/ATTACH]

I remember those as well, not the best sounding amp but again, durable as hell. :cool:

• Members
Cool amp!!!! :thu::cool2::philthumb:

The straight up XXX is cool too, although I can do without the mudflap girls on the front of some of them. Makes them look a bit cheezy.

I hear ya' I think the chrome plates on the jsx are a little much but apparently you can take them off.

I'm not a huge fan of much peavey gear besides the 500W PA Power head I own.

Its a far cry from the powered PA 600 mixer we used back in the 70's. We used to sing through this piece of crud with a pair of Cerwin Vega cabs. Last I checked my old bass player still owns it.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for 1970 Peavey PA 600","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"551","width":"734","src":"http:\/\/springfieldmusicstore.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/5785.jpg"}[/img2]

I had one of these in the early 80s - the Peavey XR-700. Dang thing may not have been the best sounding board ever made, and I got rid of it decades ago, but I'll bet it's still in operable condition somewhere. :lol:

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"597","width":"900","src":"http:\/\/www.ampslab.com\/Images\/REPAIRS\/PEAVEY%20XR700\/XR700%20MIXER3.jpg"}[/img2]

• Members

Well I got the amp, after I biased it properly with a bias probe from eurotubes it sounds great! I guess the test points that Peavey provides aren't very accurate, but since I don't know how old the JJ EL34's are I biased them a little cold at 36 mA, there does seem to be a little crossover distortion but it could be the phase inverter tube. Now to take the chrome plates off. :cool12:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It was designed by James Brown who also designed EVH's Peavey amps. I listened to an interview with him last week and he spoke about the JSX. He said, among other things, that it's from the Peavey Ultra family tree which includes the XXX and culminates in the JSX. The 2nd channel, according to him, is the crunch channel from a classic 50. I had an Ultra 60 for a few years and loved it. I'm sure this is a step or two above that.

• Members
It was designed by James Brown who also designed EVH's Peavey amps. I listened to an interview with him last week and he spoke about the JSX. He said' date=' among other things, that it's from the Peavey Ultra family tree which includes the XXX and culminates in the JSX. The 2nd channel, according to him, is the crunch channel from a classic 50. I had an Ultra 60 for a few years and loved it. I'm sure this is a step or two above that. [/quote']

Cool, do you happen to remember where you saw the interview?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's a gut shot of my JSX. I re-tubed it with new production Tung-Sol 7581's which are just really rugged 6L6"s and NOS RFT's in the pre-amp section with an EI in the phase inverter. It's much quieter now, I biased it at 37ma.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32185909}[/ATTACH]

Archived