my next amp purchase

mbengs1

• Members

Last I checked your from Asia or whereabouts and seem to be chasing mediocre OK gear, Also made in Asia. Nothing wrong with that mind you, its just, it is what it is. Cheap entry level gear. My theory on this is once you've taken the retail hit on selling it for half of what you bought it for new over the years you could have just bought something nice in the first place and saved money in the long run. What's a used Bugera sell for? Now look at what a used Mesa Boogie sells for. Cheap Chinese made VS high end US made. Sorry Bro but it seems you keep hunting cheap gear with the hopes that some will guide you to the magic solution to poor boy syndrome.

I'm definitely a member of the "save up and get what you really want" crew... it's much better to do that than it is to "settle" for something, only to decide to sell it at a loss later due to it being not quite what you really wanted...

What amp do you REALLY want? What's the amp of your dreams?

Once you can answer that question, then IMO, that's the amp you should save up for.

• Members
Figure out what you want and how much it will cost. Then actually buy the thing when you have enough money. Nothing worse than buying something that "will do" because you're too impatient to save up the money for what you really want.

I don't really know what I want. I could settle for a marshall jcm 800 or a DSL100h and I don't think it would matter much.

• Members

JCM800 amps are built like tanks, highly regarded, and will last a LONG time. DSL amps, not so much. Anything DSL would not be my first choice over an 800, because they are not as reliable. Also, 800s hold their value much better than DSLs do. Around here you can buy DSL50s and 100s all day for $5-700, but 800s are in the thousands.

• Members

a jcm800 is a really great amp and i love the sound. i do not like anything of the dsl myself.

i know i might be slaugthered for this, but imho a jcm800 is a one trick pony and not very versatile.

yes it does what it does like nothing else and if this all what you need, just go for it and you will be happy ever after.

if you need fender cleans also, or the sparkle and shimmer of a vox ac30, or the high gain of one of the metal amps, and maybe everything in just one amp, a jcm800 is not what you are looking for.

maybe a dsl could give you from everything a bit, but doing nothing really good, it just a compromise in every direction

and both a dsl or a jcm800 can not do what e.g. a mesa triple rec could do, but these might be 2 to 3 times the investment...

so its all up to you, what sound(s) do you want, what sound(s) do you need, and only from there you can narrow it down what amp could fit to you...

• Members
I'm definitely a member of the "save up and get what you really want" crew... it's much better to do that than it is to "settle" for something, only to decide to sell it at a loss later due to it being not quite what you really wanted...

What amp do you REALLY want? What's the amp of your dreams?

Once you can answer that question, then IMO, that's the amp you should save up for.

Actually, it depends. I want to get an amp that can do rock and metal great. but there's so many amps in different price ranges, I hate to say, i'm not that choosy. I wanted a marshall jcm 900 at first since I used the JCM900 amp sim of my guitar modeling processor (digitech rp100) for recording a lot. it sounds the warmest and I like the punch of the jcm 900 sim for leads. but they don't sell it here so a JCM 800 might be a better alternative. It cost almost the same after paying tax and shipping. Then I also like the blackstar series one. that's cheaper than the marshall JCM's. Then I considered the EVH 5150 iii that they sell here. that's a great amp but I don't really want to associate with eddie van halen. then the Peavey 6505 head sounds great too and its $900. I also consider the cheapest digital amps that sound ok like the blackstar ID100h. After considering all of those, I don't know what to choose. this is the moment I've been waiting for years, what i'm i'll settle for. my bugera 6262 head is not good enough, though when i'm playing through it I have no comments. it sounds fine. its the way it looks. cheap stuff. I need a half stack that will kick butt. so I will see when I have the funds to go for my amp.

• Members

high gain is relative. if you call deep purple or iron maiden high gain, than jcm 800 or jcm900 are high gain.

if you mean nu/death etc metal high gain, than they re not

they are definitely not 5150 or 6505, or diezel or engl or mesa high gain

also you should consider if you want a 50w or 100w version, to get high gain from the 100w you need to turn up much more which might hurt your neighbours.

you also should look at the used market, than you could select also between a master volume and none master volume version and save some bucks.

personally i really like the jcm800 but i dismiss the jcm900, for me the 900 is not fish nor meat. i do understand that some might like the 900, but i completely don't

• Members
high gain is relative. if you call deep purple or iron maiden high gain, than jcm 800 or jcm900 are high gain.

if you mean nu/death etc metal high gain, than they re not

they are definitely not 5150 or 6505, or diezel or engl or mesa high gain

also you should consider if you want a 50w or 100w version, to get high gain from the 100w you need to turn up much more which might hurt your neighbours.

you also should look at the used market, than you could select also between a master volume and none master volume version and save some bucks.

personally i really like the jcm800 but i dismiss the jcm900, for me the 900 is not fish nor meat. i do understand that some might like the 900, but i completely don't

yeah 100 watts seems impractical coz you'd never turn it up passed 2 and 1/2 to jam with a regular drummer. I think any amp with the label 'high gain' is a special thing. there are lots of amps that have gain but they don't seem to be labelled as 'high gain'. like the jcm2000 series. it's not as popular as the 800 and the 900 but its a good high gain amp. I was thinking of going for the jcm2000 dsl100 that was made back in 2000 but I'm not sure. maybe a new amp would really be best than going for a good 'old' amp.

Actually, it depends. I want to get an amp that can do rock and metal great. but there's so many amps in different price ranges, I hate to say, i'm not that choosy. I wanted a marshall jcm 900 at first since I used the JCM900 amp sim of my guitar modeling processor (digitech rp100) for recording a lot. it sounds the warmest and I like the punch of the jcm 900 sim for leads. but they don't sell it here so a JCM 800 might be a better alternative.

I'd rather have a JCM800 over a JCM900 every time. In just about every way, it's the better amp IMHO.

Then I considered the EVH 5150 iii that they sell here. that's a great amp but I don't really want to associate with eddie van halen.

I can understand that. Still, they're great amps too. Not my favorite clean tones, but for crunch and leads they are quite nice.

then the Peavey 6505 head sounds great too and its $900.

That's basically Peavey continuing the EVH stuff after the Van Halen endorsement deal ended. If you want a 5150 but without the name associated with the endorser, that's a good way for you to go.

• Members
OT but' date=' I was considering a pre amp + power amp + cabinet setup? do you know a good marshall power amp and preamp combination? seems like a cool setup. I could get into rack gear instead of getting a head. hehe. [/quote']

This is what I did. Used to be you could collect a variety of pres for well under what a boutique amp goes for today. Just by way of tone search and variety I ended up with 4 single space units all well under a thousand - the ART Power Plant was $150.00 I think. That (the Power Plant) itself does enough Marshall for my tastes. SS too. [With a zillion knobs and a couple dozen more ODs, I cured most of my toan based GAS.]

Now there's stuff like Kemper coming into its own and probably is the future. I'd save for some of that.

• Members

I'd rather have a JCM800 over a JCM900 every time. In just about every way, it's the better amp IMHO.

I can understand that. Still, they're great amps too. Not my favorite clean tones, but for crunch and leads they are quite nice.

That's basically Peavey continuing the EVH stuff after the Van Halen endorsement deal ended. If you want a 5150 but without the name associated with the endorser, that's a good way for you to go.

The peavey 6505 sounds like my digitech rp100 multi effects high gain amp models. it has the bassy character of that multi effects pedal. its also sounds like gasoline. If you like the sound of amp modeling, the 6505 sounds like all of it in general.

The peavey 6505 sounds like my digitech rp100 multi effects high gain amp models. it has the bassy character of that multi effects pedal. its also sounds like gasoline. If you like the sound of amp modeling, the 6505 sounds like all of it in general.

Maybe you mean them positively, :idk: but your descriptions make it sound like you don't like the sound of the 6505. Comparisons to gasoline and the RP100 are hardly compliments in my world. YMMV

Again, they're the same amp - the only thing that really changed was the name. Once the deal with EVH expired, Peavey couldn't use the 5150 name anymore due to contract / trademark reasons, but they weren't going to stop selling the amp that they designed and developed, so they changed the name to 6505.

If you don't like the 6505, then you won't like the 5150 MkIII.

Archived