Celestion speaker for my Fender Champion 40

mbengs1

• Members

I'd like to replace the speaker of my Fender Champion 40 with a good speaker. I'd like to put a blue back, greenback, or vintage 30. The blueback seems to be more expensive than the other two. Does the blue back sound any better? what are the advantages of going for the blue one?

• Members

If you mean Celestion Blue speakers, they are almost universally regarded as the finest alnico speaker ever made. They have clarity, and yet smoothness. They are THE sound of vintage speakers which is why the older (real) VOX amps came with them. Some other speakers are close seconds, but nothing replaces them for vintage sound low volume speakers. They only reach full potential in open back cabinets. They are worth more than your amp so I would certainly eliminate that thought. The Vintage 30 was created originally to be a high power version of it. They missed that mark, but it is decent in certain situations. The Greenback is THE sound of classic rock for the most part. Almost every Marshall had them for a LONNNNNGGGGG time. One Greenback is also low wattage, as in either 20 or 25 watt versions. The V30 is the only thing you named that will survive alone in your amp.

• Members

I don't think the blue celestions sound better than the greenback or vintage 30. I think will go for the cheaper alternative AGAIN. This is how I always am. Less money, but still great tone. spending more money with the more classy speaker won't do it. I prolly will never buy another speaker again. haha.

Edited by mbengs1

• Members

Celestions generally don't belong in Fender amps. They don't have the right sound. Look at Eminence, Jensen, maybe Weber (I say maybe because Weber doesn't publish specs and I don't like that). The Eminience Cannabis Rex and Swamp Thang come to mind. Neither is terribly expensive and each has fairly high sensitivity that will make the most of your amp.

• Members
Celestions generally don't belong in Fender amps. They don't have the right sound. Look at Eminence' date=' Jensen, maybe Weber (I say maybe because Weber doesn't publish specs and I don't like that). The Eminience Cannabis Rex and Swamp Thang come to mind. Neither is terribly expensive and each has fairly high sensitivity that will make the most of your amp.[/quote']

Celestion seems to be the name brand for me.

• Moderators

First, you are putting lipstick on a pig...your amp is not worth upgrading. You bought an inexpensive solid state modeling practice amp.

That is what it is.

If the sound of the amp isn't right, don't blame the speaker.

You bought it with that speaker, so if the speaker is broken in correctly, it should be the optimum speaker based on the Fender engineer's thinking. [j/k]

The limited tone of your amp is far more likely due to the design of the amp itself, not the speaker [is that the Fender Design Eminence 12' 8ohm?]

Yes, Celestion makes great speakers, but they are not the only ones...ElectroVoice, Jensen, Eminence, JBL, Weber, Tone Tubby, Fane...

• Members
[is that the Fender Design Eminence 12' 8ohm?]

Yes, Celestion makes great speakers, but they are not the only ones...ElectroVoice, Jensen, Eminence, JBL, Weber, Tone Tubby, Fane...

It's not a good speaker. I think it's low grade but I like the sound of the amp as it is. but I imagine that changing the speaker will bump up the midrange a little and the bass so it will sound more 'classy'. I admit it sounds a bit cheap but It could be the amp itself and not the speaker that makes it sound that way. I probably will change the speaker but maybe late next year since I'm broke and speakers are expensive compared to pedals (which is what I plan to get into this coming year.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Yeah swapping out a new speaker is pointless especially if not broken in properly,, it won’t change how the amplifier is voiced at the factory,, Even the beautiful green back is harsh and tight new,, Try the Stevie Ray Vaughan  mod,, He used on his fender amps,,2 strips of gaffer tape across the centre of the  speakers cone 😊🎶,,

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 12/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, daddymack said:

First, you are putting lipstick on a pig...your amp is not worth upgrading. You bought an inexpensive solid state modeling practice amp.

That is what it is.

You bought it with that speaker, so if the speaker is broken in correctly, it should be the optimum speaker based on the Fender engineer's thinking. [j/k]

The limited tone of your amp is far more likely due to the design of the amp itself, not the speaker [is that the Fender Design Eminence 12' 8ohm?]

Daddy Mack can suck my Daddy Dick

• Moderators
On 2/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, Malicious said:

Daddy Mack can suck my Daddy Dick

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

There are other/better ways to say you disagree with my comment.

Unfortunately, you felt that this was the best presentation of your knowledge and opinion?

Since this post violates our TOS, you are now permabanned. I hope it was worth it....:rolleyes2:

• Thanks 1

• Members
On 12/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, daddymack said:

That is what it is.

A real piece of wok you are. Only thing "crap" is your playing.

• Moderators

Thanks, I have never been called a 'piece of wok' before....:bounce022:

As to my playing, well...I doubt you ever heard it, so your opinion is noted, and ignored.

I'd invite you  to hear me play, but it would be way past your bedtime.