Do distortion pedals work well with a Marshall JCM900 or Mesa Dual Rectifier?

mbengs1

• Members

I heard these two amps on youtube and they have similar tones. they're both not that expensive and I heard distortion pedals don't that good with them. really? I don't see it. I think any amp with a decent clean sound can sound good with a distortion box. They are both $2099. I'd use them for their own lead channels but are high gain distortion pedals out of the question for these amps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This should be you next amp. They made it in a head as well as a 2x12 combo. I had the 2x12 combo. The combo weighed 98 lbs, in a really wide body cab.

@ about 26 minutes in toe vid, he pushes it with a Tube Screamer.

[video=youtube;LY1NY2MgsNU]

I had the series I rectroverb too. This is the new smaller 25 watter. Get a Mesa cab to, they are heavy, but awesome.

[video=youtube;WKL2-0c92lI]

[video=youtube;sWlaAp9dYkg]

• Members
I heard these two amps on youtube and they have similar tones. they're both not that expensive and I heard distortion pedals don't that good with them. really? I don't see it. I think any amp with a decent clean sound can sound good with a distortion box. They are both $2099. I'd use them for their own lead channels but are high gain distortion pedals out of the question for these amps?

Of course not but then that's obvious. What might work in the lead channels of any amp with that "rock only" quality, might be clean boosters that have a range of tonal variety. The BBE preamp ped comes to mind but any boost with tone controls would allow some tailoring of the unreasonable grind that amp distortion can present.

• Members
I had a messa dual retifier and always use a tube screamer (or other overdrive/distortion pedals) to boost volume for a solo. That's really good for me. I always set gain value to zero or just a little bit in distortion pedal because i have enough from the amplifier.

TS9s are perfect for killing that bulbous bass that Boogies make.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The Dual Rectifier is a monster amp, better ease up on the level on the distortion or overdrive pedal ....

• 5 weeks later...

Archived