Looking for an audio preamplifier

xXGambitXx

• Members

I don't know much about audio preamplifiers or audio in general, but I'm helping my church out. They want to improve the entire audio and we're told amps are not allowed because they distort the microphones. The audio guy also wants to have full control. Been looking around and read how audio preamplifiers can help with these issues https://bzbexpress.com/Preamplifiers/ . There's also a lot on Amazon, but not even sure if these are the correct items we need. Sorry if I'm unclear or my terminology is wrong, just trying to help the best I can haa. If you ask me though, the audio sounds just fine. Thanks for the help.

• Members

Amps distort microphones? Not true*...but let's ignore that for now.

What your P&W leader wants to do is called "running direct" into your church's mixing board. Normally a "D.I. Box" (direct injection), sometimes called a "direct box" is used for instruments like keyboards that don't need any "amp tone" in their sound. However, electric guitar won't sound right through a standard box, so a special "amp simulator" direct box is needed. There are many of these available on the market from around $30 to over $200.

Check out the SansAmp line of guitar and bass guitar DI boxes. The SansAmp bass DI is highly regarded in the industry and is a standard tool in entertainment and recording venues.

If you're on a budget, the Behringer company makes what are basically copies of the SansAmp products. The GDI-21 (for guitar) and BDI-21 for bass.

For keyboards or other electronic instruments, you want a "standard" DI box that doesn't alter the tone, again, there's many makes and models to choose from Radial, ProCo, RapCo, Country Man, and so on. Prices, again, range from about $30 for a low-end chinese made DI box to around $200 for a "pro quality" active DI like the Country Man.

All DI boxes have an XLR connector for their output, for best results an XLR cable (microphone cable) should be used between the DI boxes and the mixer unless the mixing board is close to the other musicians.

(Electric Guitar) ----->[GUITAR PEDALS] ---->[ Amp Sim DI box preamp ]======>[ Mixing board ] ======> [ PA amplifier ] ----> Speakers

* Microphones can distort, but only at 'ear bleeding' volumes that are unlikely to be used in a house of worship.

Archived