Amp recommendations?

meedlymeedly

• Members

you should get a dumble for the mid and on the left and right you need to put two vox ac30 2x12s their. if you can get vintage ac30s the better, if you nned to buy new be sure to get some handwired with the blue bulldog speaker.

if you can't get your hand on a dumble, get a marshall 2203 jcm800 100w full stack.

this should cover your base.

to get them all in sync and spaced out get two roland re201 space echo's or two korg sdd-3000 delay units and you will generate a heavenly wall of sound :)

• Members
you should get a dumble for the mid and on the left and right you need to put two vox ac30 2x12s their. if you can get vintage ac30s the better, if you nned to buy new be sure to get some handwired with the blue bulldog speaker.

if you can't get your hand on a dumble, get a marshall 2203 jcm800 100w full stack.

to get them all in sync and spaced out get two roland re201 space echo's or two korg sdd-3000 delay units and you will generate a heavenly wall of sound :)

Holy Carp! Do you think I'm made of Bitcoin or what??

• Members
Here's what Bonamassa actually plays and some gear he recommends: https://www.joebonamassagear.com/amps/. How big is your worship space? A multi amp setup could easily become overkill. Among the smaller recommendations a Fender Princeton Reverb and a Marshall DSL15C should be fairly well matched.

I can hear you. But what do you do when your pastor says we need this big and loud?

• Members

Don't know who this Lincoln Brewster is, but Brewster primarily uses two different 57 reissue Fender Stratocasters with DiMarzio pickups, one with Ash body on an Aztec Gold finish, the other on a three-color sunburst finish with an Alder body, both with maple fingerboards and necks.[citation needed] He has other Stratocasters as well as a few Gibson Les Pauls and an SG and other different guitars. According to his Twitter account, a signature model of his Aztec Gold stratocaster is in the works.

Brewster also achieves his live tone solely from a Line 6 POD HD500 unit. He occasionally uses a provided amp for stage noise only and goes direct to the PA system with the floor POD.

It looks like he's cheating on Line 6 with a Vox amp

Pics are not uploading.

http://www.20thecountdownmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Lincoln-Brewster-pics2.jpg

• Members

I been using a pair of these 15W Marshalls with a stereo multi effects pedal. They are light weight and put out enough sound to compete with a drummer without being overly loud.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for Marshall Valvestate 15W","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"420","width":"550","src":"http:\/\/images.equipboard.com\/uploads\/item\/image\/33194\/marshall-valvestate-vs15r-l.jpg?v=1508761967"}[/img2]

If I need to be louder I can add this 65W Peavey. (bought it with the head mounted in a Marshall 1X10" cab)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t001.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t54.0 KB ID:\t32110433","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32110433","data-size":"full","title":"001.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

In the studio I use much bigger amps, I use a Marshall Valvestate 100 head on a 1960 Cab and I usually pair it up with something like a Music Man 65, Blackface Bassman or a Sunn Concert lead or a on either a 4X12 Peavey cab or a 4X10" cab loaded with Alnico Jensen's. The pair together running stereo effects sounds incredible and I get some excellent recordings using more then one amp.

I use the big stuff playing out at larger clubs and festivals that have more then 500 people. Allot has to do with the size of the stage too. I hate being cramped up and when you have 4 or 5 piece band it simply doesn't make sense to haul more then one amp. When I play a 3 piece The bass player and I both use dual amps. This way you can have a guitar and bass amp on both sides of the drummer. Its real helpful being able to hear yourself on either side of a big stage.

You definitely want stereo effects however. If you just run the amps mono its not much different then having a single amp with only minor variances in tone and drive when you make settings changes. Stereo echo and chorus really open things up, otherwise its not worth lugging around two amps when you can do the same job with one larger amp.

• Members
I can hear you. But what do you do when your pastor says we need this big and loud?

A 15 Watt tube amp can be very loud. A pair even more so. A Princeton Reverb and a DSL15 will run $1600 new just for the amps. What's your budget and who's paying for this? If your pastor is into Lincoln Brewster, he apparently uses amp sims into the PA. I'm a worship musician myself, guitar and bass, and I run a Line Out from my amp to the PA when I'm playing electric.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's exactly what I was going to suggest if he couldn't find a Line6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Maybe get a trio of 15 watt amps like Egnater Tweakers?

Yeah, I recommended a dual amp setup with a Fender Princeton Reverb and a Marshall DSL15C a month ago. Two or three 15 Watt tube amps should do nicely. They may even be overkill depending on the performance space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man....Church music musta gotten quite a bit louder than it was when I went to the small Baptist church I grew up in. Usually it was just a piano player and the choir. Special occasions like Christmas and Easter they'd crank up the B3....But there weren't nobody firing up Fender Princeton's there. That's what us Rebels did on Saturday night.

• Members
Man....Church music musta gotten quite a bit louder than it was when I went to the small Baptist church I grew up in. Usually it was just a piano player and the choir. Special occasions like Christmas and Easter they'd crank up the B3....But there weren't nobody firing up Fender Princeton's there. That's what us Rebels did on Saturday night.

Church music is definitely more extreme in the last several years. I remember when an acoustic guitar was out there and an electric was really pushing it. Partly, "praise and worship" music focuses much more on performance than leading the congregation in song, which is what our "praise band" does. The rise of huge "megachurches" with immense worship spaces contributes to this. That's why I asked the OP how big his worship space is. I note that I still haven't gotten an answer. I'm a P/W musician myself, guitar and bass, and I've been in services when the "praise band" nearly drove me out of the building from the decibel level. Several years ago I was guest preaching in another church and our daughter, who was fairly young at the time, actually did leave the service because the music was too loud.

• Members

Church music is definitely more extreme in the last several years. I remember when an acoustic guitar was out there and an electric was really pushing it. Partly, "praise and worship" music focuses much more on performance than leading the congregation in song, which is what our "praise band" does. The rise of huge "megachurches" with immense worship spaces contributes to this. That's why I asked the OP how big his worship space is. I note that I still haven't gotten an answer. I'm a P/W musician myself, guitar and bass, and I've been in services when the "praise band" nearly drove me out of the building from the decibel level. Several years ago I was guest preaching in another church and our daughter, who was fairly young at the time, actually did leave the service because the music was too loud.

Do you think the introduction of Modern approaches to music dilutes the purpose of worship? Or enhances it?

I suppose if a rockin' band brings people closer to the Message that's a good thing. I guess. Depends on the Message maybe? The whole MegaChurch, philosophy of people like Osteen leaves me cold and disinterested...At times contemptuous.

I left church long ago. But music is a Universal language...If positive philosophy's and belief systems can be benignly shared/spread through it's practice....I have to believe that is a good thing.

I've always looked at a large segment of music as spiritual...Even without any touchstones lyrically suggesting religious Dogmas or any particular fingers pointing to the Heavens indicative of a Deity.

I seem to have Hijacked this thread now so I digress....

• Members

I agree with you. We have a local church growing exponentially that depends heavily on a young pastor and loud band. But proof is in the pudding. They are growing fast. Doubled in 2 years. Frankly, I find it a distraction and inappropriate but that is my age showing. I would rather hear an organ and a choir, but if a band gets people to come, good for them. We refer to it as Church Light, but any church is better than no church. Back to your regularly scheduled program now.

• Members

If you like loud church music, you should go to a Creation festival. I used to go to those. Just about as loud as any secular concert.

• Members

I have a fair voice and I write originals and sing them in church sometimes. Nothing flashy, usually just me and an acoustic guitar, but people seem to respond. Honestly, I like hearing positive reactions but I'm not the focus. Some worship bands give the appearance of having forgotten that.

To pick up on what Axisplayer posted, megachurches also tend to be fairly conservative and literal in their interpretation of scripture. If you lean liberal or like critical thinking they may not be for you. Finally, the Bible says "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death." So don't assume a church is feeding people the real stuff because it's growing. Tumors grow rapidly too. /End of rant

• Members

In my experience the modern worship band is for the benefit of the musicians in the band. The congregation would barely notice if everything was replaced by a backing track, as long as the singing was loud and clear. The purpose of the band, or at least the guitar, is to be pretty and unobtrusive.

I don't know any church music director who would be enthusiastic about any guitarist running three amps, though they might pretend to be. It's more like they wish everyone would plug directly into the board. I'm sure there are exceptions.

• Members
In my experience the modern worship band is for the benefit of the musicians in the band. The congregation would barely notice if everything was replaced by a backing track, as long as the singing was loud and clear. The purpose of the band, or at least the guitar, is to be pretty and unobtrusive.

I don't know any church music director who would be enthusiastic about any guitarist running three amps, though they might pretend to be. It's more like they wish everyone would plug directly into the board. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I agree the band is there for looks a lot of the time. We're a three piece these days, piano, guitar, and bass, and sometimes it's just piano and bass. It's a small church and that's enough. Honestly I think folks just like the idea of being able to say we have a "praise band."

I dunno about music directors but I'm pretty sure most sound guys would prefer everyone plugged into the board. I've posted before about my own experiences. With my amp pointed at me and turned up so I can hear it the lead singer complains that it's too loud. Fortunately I normally play an acoustic through a DI box so I can hear it fine but woe unto me if I bring my electric.

• 1 year later...

Archived