Buying an amp from overseas

Tomm Williams

• Members

i only did it the other way around, from the u.s. to europe, and only guitars, so far no amp.

when something is more than some treshhold e-g- above $100, we need to pay customs fees and import tax, its roughly around 23% (~20% VAT + 3% customs or so)

i aways factor this in when shopping overseas, if the total amount including shipping and taxes is it worth than i buy it, if i get locally a better deal i pass...

how it is the other way around i don't know, taxes are from state to state different in the u.s. that makes it even more difficult from an non u.s.er :)

• Members
i only did it the other way around, from the u.s. to europe, and only guitars, so far no amp.

when something is more than some treshhold e-g- above $100, we need to pay customs fees and import tax, its roughly around 23% (~20% VAT + 3% customs or so)

i aways factor this in when shopping overseas, if the total amount including shipping and taxes is it worth than i buy it, if i get locally a better deal i pass...

how it is the other way around i don't know, taxes are from state to state different in the u.s. that makes it even more difficult from an non u.s.er :)

So how do I go about pursuing this? Do I contact US Customs ?

• Members

I once sold a guitar to a guy in Canada, and he said to send it through USPS, which takes forever, but he didn't end up paying customs fees.

I don't know if this works for other good coming into the states.

It's definitely worth looking into.

• Members

So how do I go about pursuing this? Do I contact US Customs ?

we have a goverment page which does inform us about import and taxes, they do not tell us the exact rates or percentage as they differ per origin country and which of goods it is, but they inform about the procedure...

what does google say about u.s import taxes?

• Members

I once sold a guitar to a guy in Canada, and he said to send it through USPS, which takes forever, but he didn't end up paying customs fees.

I don't know if this works for other good coming into the states.

It's definitely worth looking into.

yeah good old days in the late 90s beginning 2000s.

nowadays i pay import tax and customs fees for almost everything about $100. customs check every package if there is a customs decleration and value outside on the package, if not they open it and if they are not sure about the value, they contact the receipient to declare the value, which adds a lot of delay and is much of a hassle...

sending something over the pond without a customs delceration outside is just generating trouble which is not worth, also an insurance will only cover the amount what the package is declared.

try to find out how much it will be, factor it in in your total costs, if its still a good deal go for it, otherwise pass it on

• Members

we have a goverment page which does inform us about import and taxes, they do not tell us the exact rates or percentage as they differ per origin country and which of goods it is, but they inform about the procedure...

what does google say about u.s import taxes?

It referred to a 23% tax and some other fees. However this amp is in Europe which makes the whole affair seem tougher. Is this the type of thing an import broker would handle?

I'd really prefer to have experts handle this

• Members

It referred to a 23% tax and some other fees. However this amp is on Europe which makes the whole affair seem tougher. Is this the type of thing an import broker would handle?

I'd really prefer to have experts handle this

if you let it ship it e.g. with UPS they do all the customs handling for you and charge you the customs fees on delivery. it doesn't get simpler like this

on the other hand, if the seller puts a customs declaration on the outside of the package he can also ship it with standard post service (which might take much longer and might not be insured and might not be trackable).

people at the post service will help him to fill it out correctly.

then when it crosses u..s border it will be processed by u.s. customs office, they will file an invoice and most likely will also charge you the custom fees up delivery

if there is no declaration outside they will start asking questions, e.g. send us the invoice, or send us a link to the ebay auction etc..

Archived