Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appropriate tube amplifier for middle class suburban home.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropriate tube amplifier for middle class suburban home.

I am new to this forum, so hello!
    Allow me to provide some background information.
    I have played guitar for 2 years now and I am looking for a valve amplifier.
    I live in a very middle class suburb in Wiltshire and have a very middle class job, which is why I want to find an appropriate amplifier for my situation. I do not want to look uncouth with a loud amplifier, and I don't want to look like a pleb for using a solid state amplifier.
    I have had a middle class education and had clarinet and piano as my main instruments in private school and sixth form, but guitar has always had something about it which is why I took it up two years ago.
    My guitar was a Martin accoustic, but I have recently bought a Gibson ES-335.
    I want the amplifier to look appropriate too - I don't want any cheap looks as it would clash with my furnature, which is mostly from John Lewis.
    I have a reputation to keep in my area, so please, no loud amps as I do not wish to disturb my neighbours - it can be louder than 1W as I live in a a detatched house, but I don't want to disturb my neighbours as they too have middle class jobs - my two closest neighbours are a doctor and a police inspector, very respectable people from very respectable backgrounds with conservative values like myself. I respect these people and want to keep everything stable.
    Hope there is something out in the market for me!
    Trevor
    Last edited by TrevorGil; 11-10-2017, 11:35 AM.

I have many amp for many different occasions. What is your price range?

One amp I have that I play often is a Yamaha THR10 C.

I play it through headphone late at night when every one else has gone to bed. It is not a tube amp.

Also not a tube amp is the Quilters. I don't own one but I wish I did.

Besides that I have about a dozen amps, Fender Princeton, Deluxe Reverb and more , Mesa amps, Marshall's and a Dr Z.

You can take a Princeton and push it with a od pedal and it's not super loud. You can do the same with the DRRI. They record great.

Mesa' have a master volume.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

As with most things it depends on how much you're prepared to spend. Here are some options: https://www.thomann.de/gb/tube_guita...e-46702-last=5. The Vox AC4TV comes to mind. It's a 4 Watt (switchable down to 1/4 Watt) ''tube'' (as we say in the US) amp with a 10'' (25cm) speaker. It's not particularly gaudy IMHO. A decent size speaker is a must and I can't recommend anything smaller than 10''. Smaller speakers just don't produce good full range sound.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
        I have many amp for many different occasions. What is your price range?

One amp I have that I play often is a Yamaha THR10 C.

I play it through headphone late at night when every one else has gone to bed. It is not a tube amp.

Also not a tube amp is the Quilters. I don't own one but I wish I did.

Besides that I have about a dozen amps, Fender Princeton, Deluxe Reverb and more , Mesa amps, Marshall's and a Dr Z.

You can take a Princeton and push it with a od pedal and it's not super loud. You can do the same with the DRRI. They record great.

Mesa' have a master volume.

I earn £51,000 per year so my price range would be anywhere between £1000 - £2200.
        The Yamaha is solid state I think, and that wouldn't look very respectable in front of people.
        I tried the fender Princeton and I know for a fact that there is no way my neighbours will accept anything that loud. I would get reported to the local council, which would affect my reputation. My neighbours have to get up early for their jobs - nobody in my area claims any benifits so it's important that I have reasonable volume levels. I have a very large morgage from a very respectable bank, and I don't want anything to unbalence in my area.
        Last edited by TrevorGil; 11-09-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

So let me get this straight, you've been playing 2 years but don't want to look like a pleb because your using a SS amp? Damn son I've been playing for close to 50 and still use SS amps on certain things, Granted older than you in most cases but SS all the same. Don't want it to clash with your John Lewis furniture? Oh My! Pretty sure I've heard it all now, but get the feeling I haven't. But to be honest wouldn't know what John Lewis furniture looked like if you hit me in the head with it. But if the prestige of a label captivates you and classic styling is your thing take a look at some of the smaller amps Matchless has to offer, Nice looking amps. Last I checked they all had volume knobs too.
          Last edited by doublecross; 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorGil View Post
            I am new to this forum, so hello!
            Allow me to provide some background information.
            I have played guitar for 2 years now and I am looking for a valve amplifier.
            I live in a very middle class suburb in Wiltshire and have a very middle class job, which is why I want to find an appropriate amplifier for my situation. I do not want to look uncouth with a loud amplifier, and I don't want to look like a pleb for using a solid state amplifier.
            I have had a middle class education and had clarinet and piano as my main instruments in private school and sixth form, but guitar has always had something about it which is why I took it up two years ago.
            My guitar was a Martin accoustic, but I have recently bought a Gibson ES-335.
            I want the amplifier to look appropriate too - I don't want any cheap looks as it would clash with my furnature, which is mostly from John Lewis.
            I have a reputation to keep in my area, so please, no loud amps as I do not wish to disturb my neighbours - it can be louder than 1W as I live in a a detatched house, but I don't want to disturb my neighbours as they too have middle class jobs - my two closest neighbours are a doctor and a police inspector, very respectable people from very respectable backgrounds with conservative values like myself. I respect these people and want to keep everything stable.
            Hope there is something out in the market for me!
            Trevor
            are you for real?

Comment

Originally posted by doublecross View Post
              So let me get this straight, you've been playing 2 years but don't want to look like a pleb because your using a SS amp? Damn son I've been playing for close to 50 and still use SS amps on certain things, Granted older than you in most cases but SS all the same. Don't want it to clash with your John Lewis furniture? Oh My! Pretty sure I've heard it all now, but get the feeling I haven't. But to be honest wouldn't know what John Lewis furniture looked like if you hit me in the head with it. But if the prestige of a label captivates you and classic styling is your thing take a look at some of the smaller amps Matchless has to offer, Nice looking amps. Last I checked they all had volume knobs too.
              I don't think you understand. I have a reputation to keep in my middle class social circles, you yourself may not be in the same class bracket as I, but I can garantee you that if my neighbours even just THOUGHT that they MAY have heard somethine like a tube amp, I would get instantely reported. Like I said, I live in a very high brow area and I pay every month a very large respectable morgage. I can't put my families repution into jeopardy like this. My son goes to an extremely middle class school with others in this area, and if I act so thug-like as to have either a solid state amp or anti-social valve volumes, then the scandal could get to the teachers and put my sons education and social network in jeopardy. Everybody would be talking about me behind my back. If the school teachers think that I may be from a lower class due to anti-social behaviour, they may not try as hard.
              Last edited by TrevorGil; 11-09-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

2200 British Pound equals
                2900.58 US Dollar

Nice, Now I got a price range.

Last edited by Mikeo; 11-10-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Check this one out

PTP American made in North Carolina.

http://www.carramps.com/products/mercury-v
                  It has an attenuator on it.

You can put an attenuator on any amp. Look at the Dr Z Break LITE.
                  • Class A
                  • Push Pull 6V6 - enriched fixed bias
                  • Single channel: Treble, Mid, Bass, Reverb
                  • 3-position boost switch
                  • Parallel or series input gain stages
                  • Built in attenuator 4 to 0 watts or 16 watts full power
                  • Mercury 1x12 combo, Head

https://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/pro...cury-112-combo

https://www.coda-music.com/carr-merc...or-review.html

https://www.coda-music.com/carr-merc...ine-cream.html

This is very nice and would be very respectable in any living or on stage.

This is the Dr Z Break Lite that I mentioned. It will handle up to 45 watts.

I have a Dr Z Maz 18 w/ reverb and the eq mod. It kicks some serious tail.

None of this stuff is inexpensive, but it's top notch.

Comment

If it's really about looking cool with a 335 then there is only one possible choice...

As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
                      If it's really about looking cool with a 335 then there is only one possible choice...

I don't think you understand. I am not allowed to have that amp in a middle class suburb in Wiltshire. It's all about being appropriate for the respectable neighbours. I am middle class, very middle class, and I must conduct myself in that manor or else the neighbours will talk. Amps that big are anti-social and should be banned.

Comment

I don't think you understand. I am not allowed to have that amp in a middle class suburb in Wiltshire. It's all about being appropriate for the respectable neighbours. I am middle class, very middle class, and I must conduct myself in that manor or else the neighbours will talk. Amps that big are anti-social and should be banned.
                        My apologies. I based my comment on this from the OP...
                        I have recently bought a Gibson ES-335.
                        I want the amplifier to look appropriate too
                        There is no more appropriate look for a 335 than an early 60's BF Super Reverb
                        Last edited by onelife; 11-10-2017, 01:08 PM.
                        As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                        from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

http://drzamps.com/product/z-air-brake/

At home, the Air Brake is useful for lower volume while still allowing for full output tube distortion. The Air Brake has a “bedroom” level control that, when selected, will allow for fine adjustment and maximum attenuation down to 1 watt (with amps less than 100 watts). The Air Brake can be used with 4, 8, and 16 ohm loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post

http://drzamps.com/product/z-air-brake/

At home, the Air Brake is useful for lower volume while still allowing for full output tube distortion. The Air Brake has a “bedroom” level control that, when selected, will allow for fine adjustment and maximum attenuation down to 1 watt (with amps less than 100 watts). The Air Brake can be used with 4, 8, and 16 ohm loads.

Is the air break good for the middle classes?

Comment

Is the air break good for the middle classes?
                              are you for real?

Comment

Working...
                              X