Drum guy needing guitar amp speaker advice.......

race81

• Members

Hey everyone....... My wife plays guitar(s) and amp(s)...many of them. We play in multiple groups and had a situation with an amp. The amp is a 2 12 cabinet, fender Ultimate Chorus, or Ultra Chorus??? Think it is a 120w head. Problem is, one of the speakers blew while at a gig, I disconnected one speaker and limped it in for the night. So I have the option of looking for new or replace the speakers. What would you all recommend as a good replacement?? Possible quality speaker rebuilders around?? Im basically her tech and roadie so thats why I am here.........thanks

• Members

Fender says the speakers for an Ultimate Chorus are 8 Ohm Fender Special Design P.N. 025923. They're probably made by Eminence. The Ultra Chorus is another version of the same amp. Find an 8 Ohm 12'' Eminence speaker that will handle 65 Watts (the amp is 65 Watts X 2). One of their Legend models should work and get the amp working again for little cash. The Legend V12 is rated for 120 Watts so it's unlikely to blow and costs $65 shipped.

• Members
Hey everyone....... My wife plays guitar(s) and amp(s)...many of them. We play in multiple groups and had a situation with an amp. The amp is a 2 12 cabinet' date=' fender Ultimate Chorus, or Ultra Chorus??? Think it is a 120w head. Problem is, one of the speakers blew while at a gig, I disconnected one speaker and limped it in for the night. So I have the option of looking for new or replace the speakers. What would you all recommend as a good replacement?? Possible quality speaker rebuilders around?? Im basically her tech and roadie so thats why I am here.........thanks[/quote']

The speaker that comes with that amp is a Fender Special design speaker made by Eminence Model # (P.N. 025923).

file:///C:/Users/micha/Downloads/Ultimate_Chorus_manual.pdf

Gimme me a bit and let me think about a replacement option

• Members

Found a Fender Eminence Special Design 025923 here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fen...-/112404093284

The amp is likely 65W per channel so the stock speaker would most likely be a 75W speaker.

The thing with this amp is it had dual power amps. The preamp is mono however.

These amps use a stereo chorus or allow stereo effects to be placed in its effects loop. If the two speakers aren't a match you may get a real funky sound from the amp using the chorus or stereo effects. If one speaker winds up being louder or brighter the thing will sound like it's limping from side to side instead or rotating like it normally does.

I'd buy an exact replacement or a matched pair to avoid having an uneven output. An actual Eminence speaker Like a Legend may not be an exact match for the speakers made specially for Fender.

If you buy new Fender does sell them here. https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/...5.html#start=1 I'd compare the physical build because that can affect the tone.

For an upgrade the Eminence Legend 1508 Deep End mentioned are a good American tone speaker which should sound good in a Fender. Again on a stereo amp I'd only buy them as a pair. Celestion 75's are another good speaker for Fenders but they aren't cheap. I wouldn't get a British tone speaker. They tend to have too much midrange and not enough treble for a fender amp.

If your budget is tight I'd look on EBay for the same speaker or a good used set.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the cab again last night and all it says on the speakers are Fender. I will look at some of these and buy a new matched pair.

Sometimes there will be numbers printed on the edge of the speaker frame that will give you information that can be decoded.

https://www.tedweber.com/speaker-codes-application/

I figure if one is bad the other is not far behind.

Possibly, or it could be just fine - but it definitely won't hurt anything to replace both speakers. :)

• Members
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the cab again last night and all it says on the speakers are Fender. I will look at some of these and buy a new matched pair. I figure if one is bad the other is not far behind.

As WRGKMC mentioned there's no guarantee a random replacement will have the same sensitivity as the original, although if you choose a similar Eminence they should be close. The Legend V12 I mentioned previously is cheap enough and if you want to save a few pennies the Legend 125 is $5 cheaper with 75 Watts' power handling. It's probably closer to what's in your amp. A pair of either will run you $120-130, less than one of the Fender OEM replacements.

• Members

How much money you planning on spending? Do you want what the manufacture threw in there or an upgrade? All speaker manufactures make speakers for name brand amp builders, Be it Eminence, Celestion, Jenson, and a few others, does the builder want the top of the line stuff for there production line fare? Of course not, Build us that at this price, simple as that. I can think of a lot of speakers that will kick the dog of of those stock Fender branded Eminence jobs,

• Members
How much money you planning on spending? Do you want what the manufacture threw in there or an upgrade? . . . I can think of a lot of speakers that will kick the dog of of those stock Fender branded Eminence jobs' date='[/quote']

There's also the question of how much the OP is willing to sink into a 20 year old SS amp that's worth $200 on a good day in working condition. We're already talking about possibly $120 or more for replacement speakers. Spending much more would kick the proverbial dog of something really dumb. WGS can't beat that price, neither can Weber. Celestions aren't a good choice for a Fender amp regardless of cots. That pretty much leaves Jensen MODs or Eminence. Since Eminence are probably closest to the OEM speakers in terms of sound, there's your choice.

• Members

You can buy Bran New Eminence Legend 1275's for $59 each. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Legend1275?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYu9j_-z1wIVi7bACh14hgxKEAQYAiABEgL3efD_BwE

The value of the amp goes up with better speakers and they can be moved to another amp or cab if the owner ever decides to upgrade so there's nothing wrong with putting quality speakers in a less expensive amp so long as the sound is improved. I have an older Fender M-80 head I bought for less then $100. I fixed the jack, cord, and bought new knobs for it, cost me a few dollars. I used it on a 4X12 Peavey bottom for awhile then I removed it from its head cab and mounted it in a 4X10" cab with a couple of hundred dollars worth of 10" speakers. It sounds excellent, its light weight and very useful. I'd likely make more piecing it out when reselling however and it's also easier to ship speakers and amp head separately.

The Chorus amp is likely as good as the new Champs are. Its plenty loud and the ability to run stereo effects make them sound wonderfully three dimensional. If its doing the job the owner wants a new set of speakers is exactly what they should do. $59 each is an excellent deal on 75W speakers I paid nearly that much for a crappy Jensen 10" Mod that was 50w.

• Members
You can buy Bran New Eminence Legend 1275's for $59 each. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Legend1275?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYu9j_-z1wIVi7bACh14hgxKEAQYAiABEgL3efD_BwE. . . . $59 each is an excellent deal on 75W speakers I paid nearly that much for a crappy Jensen 10" Mod that was 50w.

Eminence describes the 1275 as "British voiced" (http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_1275). Probably not a good fit for a Fender amp. OTOH, the 1258 (http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_1258) is more American sounding, closer to what Fender installed at the factory, and it sells for the same price: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Legend1258. This is the same speaker I posted before except US Speaker sells it as the 125.

Archived