Head cab for the 18 watt clone came in ...

Axisplayer

• Members

Found this on my doorstep today. The cab from Sourmash came in. They did a good job on it. JTM45 size. Sorry the pix aren't better. They didn't mount the logo, but they drilled the holes for me. Now to recover my Marshall 2196 cabinet to finish the 1/2 stack. Celestion Vintage Neo's were bought for the cab, but I may have to buy some G12Ms instead. I hear they sound better on the 18 watt, so I need to try both before deciding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080592[/ATTACH]

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Head Cab Day. It looks really great. As for speakers, the G12M has substantially lower power handling (20WRMS vs. 60WRMS) and slightly lower sensitivity (96dB vs. 97dB) so if you're after speaker breakup they might be a slightly better choice. OTOH, the Neo Creamback offers a weight saving of 16.8 lbs., which might tip the scales in its favor.

• Members

The Creamback had not entered the realm of thought yet. I have a pair of Century Vintage which are neo, sensitivity is 98 and they voiced more like a V-30 with better lows and no upper mid hump. Everything I read said the V-30 was a bad choice for it. I have one Greenback already, so considered just buying another, but a pair of the Neo Creambacks would be nice. Currently I have the Century G12 (original neo) in my Valve and a another in the pictured Avatar cab. They are 80 watt, sound similar to an EVM12L, and a sensitivity of 102. They are NEVER going to give natural distortion with an 18 watt head. Although I must confess I like the sound of my single Century Avatar cab with it so I guess I need to switch the Avatar back to the Greenback for a few days and see what I think. Thanks for the reply.

• Members

The Marshall 2196 is a full size cab from 1987 that was made for a bass/guitar head. It was only available as a B cab and comes with slides instead of cups on top. Vertical two twelve configuration. Imagine the correct logo and this is mostly what mine will look like finished. I have the same grill and tolex. I am think of the Century G12 as the choice because of weight savings on an already large cab, but Neo Creambacks might be a good alternative.

Factory pic of original half stack with head (I don't own or want that...)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080626[/ATTACH]

• Members
The Creamback had not entered the realm of thought yet. I have a pair of Century Vintage which are neo' date=' . . .[/quote']

​Sorry to muddy the waters. The Neo Creamback is the speaker that automatically comes to mind when I see "Celestion" and "Neo" in the same sentence. Please carry on. ;)

Archived