What would you do?

Axisplayer

• Members

I have been offered a trade. Vox AC30C2 with British Celestion Blues in mint condition (never left his house) even swap for either my Nighthawk Studio, LP 2017 Tribute, or my "The Valve 2-250" and I am not sure about it. I would love the amp, but don't know if personal passion is over ruling judgement. If I swap the amp, I would have AC30/Blues, 18 Watt Marshall clone, THD Univalve and Lead 100 Marshall. If I swap guitar I still have either 3 LPs, or NightHawk and two LPS. Here I am. What would you do?

• Members

Not sure but the AC30C2 has a reputation for being very loud. If you play venues where you need deafening amplification it might be worth a trade. Not familiar with ''The Valve 2-50'' but the Nighthawk is a different take on the LP platform and I'd be inclined to hang onto it unless you just don't care for it.

• Members

First I have a Weber MASS so the volume is not an issue. The Valve is as loud as a 50 watt Marshall....a real one. I absolutely love the Nighthawk. The Valve is a hand built amp made in Italy, widely known in Europe but not America. It is extremely high quality amp. Clean channel has slight breakup once past about 3-5 on the volume. The lead channel sounds like a goosed JCM800. Both channels have master volume as well. Reverb built in. Effects loop has a toggle for series or parallel fx. A guy in Europe owns one as well as a Soldano and a Friedman. He said he thought The Valve sounded better than either. Another said his Soldano went down at sound check and he was concerned about having to use the little The Valve Combo. AT the end of the show, he said he had many people coming up to tell him the Soldano sounded wonderful, but it wasn't really on. Anyway, expensive new. It was around 22-2500 depending where you bought it. I switched out the V-30s for Celestion Neo Vintage which are neo speakers voiced like the V-30. It dropped twenty lbs of weight. SInce no one in USA knows them, I got mine for a steal. Financially I would be making money on the deal.

Here, not me but he shows off the head of the amp.

A couple of recording folks:

A guy showing his own take:

• Members

Actually no. I haven't. I truly, dearly love The Valve. I also wanted an AC30 with Real British Blues all my life, and at 64 this is finally my one chance because I cannot afford to buy one. I love the guitars also. I am in a real quandry, and thats why I ask.

• Members

Thats what I am hoping for. I sent him the picture of the Goldtop (which is replaceable) and his immediate response was "whats the amp in the middle, never seen one" and then it started. Thanks Deep End for the replies. As I keep going through this, it starts to get clarified in my head. Now I think the question has become "Do I want to trade a rare and expensive amp I can never find again for an amp is mainstream but readily available? Do I want to trade an unusual Gibson that meets all my needs and is hard to replace, for an amp is mainstream and available. Then I get to "Do I want to trade a common, readily available Goldtop LP for a mainstream, readily available amp?" I guess I have figured out what I want to do, and I just have to wait to see what HE wants to do. Thanks for making me think this through.....

Okay, that being the case, in your shoes I'd trade the LP 2017 Tribute. You don't want to let go of The Valve, you don't want to let go of the Nighthawk, you have two other LP's, and you really want the AC30C2.

As much as I'm personally GASing for a Tribute, I think this is the most logical way to go. You get the AC30 with Blues that you've always wanted, and you'll still have the other amps that you love, as well as the Nighthawk you love - plus two other Les Pauls.

• Members

Well good news and bad news. The good news is that the other guy took the decision out of my hand. He sent me an email that he was ready to trade if there were no issues and it was original. I told him the history of the amp. I replaced the tube retainer spring because the older ones lost tension. I upgraded the speakers to Celestion Neos and the reverb knob was touchy. He immediately wrote back and said he didn't like that it had retainer issues, non-original speakers, and a flaky pot so NO DEAL. So I keep all my toys and am still happy about it.( I did offer to install V30s, Vintage Neos I have on hand, or let him have the Neos installed as his choice.)

I think he got cold feet at the last minute.

Thats OK....new head cab for the 18 watt will be in tomorrow. Marshall JTM45 cabinet in Purple, because everyone knows that purple sounds the best. Everything to restore my Marshall 2196 cabinet has arrived and work starts this week. Life is good.

• Members

Come on Phil. We all know you pro studio guys makes bazillions, and hang out around the pool with drinks that have little unbrellas, checking out the ladies and talking about the newly released Ferrari you are considering. You could shake the sofa and find enough for a Tribute.

• Members

Phil, I am cutting my response back since it was too long to write here. Lets just say I have bought a few esoteric pieces: Langevin mic, Langevin Dual Channel preamp, Joe Meek "Brick" (an original one)and at least six Earthworks mics (damn SR40s are not cheap for live sound, but cheap for studio I guess...) Anyway, haven't had to fill a studio but I appreciate what it costs. I have priced SSL consoles, and some esoteric channel strips and lunch boxes. I feel for you, it could even mean one extra year waiting on the new F40. LOL

Archived