marshall jcm 800 and 900 question

mbengs1

• Members
IIRC' date=' the 2203 JCM800 only has an effects loop and two external cab outs. Looks like you will need to mic it.[/quote']

​then soundproofing is must. I can use my current amp, which is my bugera amp that I had fixed. I plan to use the preamp out and plug directly into the audio converter. in that case, I don't need soundproofing. but since I want to get my first serious amp, I will probably have sound proofing done eventually. I want a jcm 900 or 800. which do you think is better? hehe.

• Moderators

​then soundproofing is must. I can use my current amp, which is my bugera amp that I had fixed. I plan to use the preamp out and plug directly into the audio converter. in that case, I don't need soundproofing. but since I want to get my first serious amp, I will probably have sound proofing done eventually. I want a jcm 900 or 800. which do you think is better? hehe.

The need for 100w guitar amp has gone the way of the dinosaur. That kind of volume is pointless unless you hate your neighbors and bandmates.I would be far more inclined to go for the Marshall Bluesbreaker combo, which at 45W is plenty loud, mics well and sounds like a Marshall.

• Members

100 watts down to 45 is still not enough reduction to be meaningful. To effectively/audibly double perceived volume required an increase in power of 10x. A 100 watt Marshall is only twice as loud as a 10 watt Marshall. A doubling of wattage is an effective yield of around 3 db (in a perfect world.) From 100 to 45 is only about a 3 db drop. I recommend something more like an 18 watt or 20 watt to get into usable territory. The bigger problem is that those low wattage Marshalls are not the type that shredders want. I think the only answer he might actually be able to live with is a Bluesbreaker or JTM45 WITH a high quality soak of some kind. My Weber MASS sound good, as well as THD. I am sure some others are also fine. Any of them with extreme settings will sound bad though. Finally JCM900 gets a bad rap. They are OK amps, although the least favored among purists. They do have the potential to sound like a beehive, but many amps do. The JCM800 series sounds better EASIER, but will require loud settings to get there, as they sound thin at low volume. I have a 100 watt Marshall and it is indeed to much, but does have a low/high switch to allow you to use one or two pairs of power tubes. Again that is not a significant reduction, but better than no reduction. Set at low, and with a soak, it tends to become a usable volume. The other alternative is to use YellowJackets for extreme volume reduction, but you lose the recognized Marshall sound. NO easy answers that retain a good sound, other than low wattage amps driven hard if you want a Marshall roar.

EDIT: Above comments are for tube based amps. The best solution for you might be a Valvestate or a MOSFET Marshall. They are solid stte, but Marshall does that very well. They are cheaper to operate, sound VERY close to their tube amps, and best of all, they retain sound when master volume is lowered so it is the same whether at full blast or whisper volume. For shredding, the other benefit is that they DON'T have the beehive sound of a JCM900.

• Members
Another alternative is to use a 'full power' Marshall and an isolation cab' date=' basically a speaker and recording booth in a single enclosure. . . .[/quote']

He could also do that with a DSL15C, just put the whole amp in the isolation cab or use the external speaker jack. Much easier to carry for gigs too, at just 37 lbs.

• Members

the jcm 2000 tsl 100 watt has a mute switch on the front panal and a simulated speaker output on the back which would be great for noise free recording it aint a bad amp either ,the footswitch cable is a pain though , my speaker simm don`t work anymore for some reason i think i fried it when i plugged the amp in to a cab with the wrong impedance and it began to cook.

• Members
do these amps' date=' jcm 800 and 900 have direct line outs or preamp outs? or will I have to mic the amps to record professionally? [/quote']

i have a 900 ,i have never noticed a direct line out on the back,i will have to take a look next time i see it ,anyway it is a great amp in my opinion, i especially love the clean channel a very organic sounding channel . i couldn`t say anything about an 800 cause i don`t have one but i do fancy one myself.

i hope that at some point in the day you are able to get the volume up to be able to record some screaming feedback from your amp .

• Members
i have a 900 ,i have never noticed a direct line out on the back,i will have to take a look next time i see it ,anyway it is a great amp in my opinion, i especially love the clean channel a very organic sounding channel . i couldn`t say anything about an 800 cause i don`t have one but i do fancy one myself.

i hope that at some point in the day you are able to get the volume up to be able to record some screaming feedback from your amp .

The current JCM900 does indeed have both a "Recording Compensated" Line Out and a "Direct" Line Out, between the Effects Loop and the Speaker Outputs. The JCM800 has a single "D.I. Output." Either is still too much amp IMHO.

do these amps' date=' jcm 800 and 900 have direct line outs or preamp outs? or will I have to mic the amps to record professionally? [/quote']

Whether they have line outputs or not, most professional engineers would use a microphone (or multiple microphones) to record those amps.

Line outputs have their uses, but unless they're speaker compensated or you run them into a speaker emulator, they're not going to sound "right" when recorded by themselves.

I went with the combo, but that's exactly what I got for my "studio Marshall" - and I really like it a lot. And I'm in a situation where I can crank much bigger amps without worrying about the volume levels.

BTW, I've measured the SPL of that amp on multiple occasions - it can hit 107 dB SPL, which is loud enough to make your neighbors call the police if you have thin walls... especially if you live in an apartment.

• Members

Whether they have line outputs or not, most professional engineers would use a microphone (or multiple microphones) to record those amps.

Line outputs have their uses, but unless they're speaker compensated or you run them into a speaker emulator, they're not going to sound "right" when recorded by themselves.

Marshall actually does a fantastic job on their speaker emulated line outs. I've often run the speaker emulated out on my Valvestate 100 and miced the 1960 cabs cream backs with various mics and the emulated line out beats the miced cab every time. The line out is tapped from the power amp, not the preamp so it doesn't sound clippy and harsh like most like outs do. Its also got a circuit that emulates the speaker and its saturation so its actually a great way to record.

• Members

The current JCM900 does indeed have both a "Recording Compensated" Line Out and a "Direct" Line Out, between the Effects Loop and the Speaker Outputs. The JCM800 has a single "D.I. Output." Either is still too much amp IMHO.

the last pub band i was playing with ,we didn`t mic things up ,the singer just had a vocal p.a..and the drummer sounded like john bonham ,so i needed a beefy amp .if you are playing at the same place all the time then yes you can have a small amp and mic it up as long as the in house pa is up to it . besides i can`t be bothered with all the miking up business in pubs it seems a pointless operation and recordings we made of gigs with a mic at the back of the room seem to confirm we were doing ok . i have to laugh at some bands who drag along big p.a. systems and mic everything up in a pub ,sometimes there is barely enough room for the punters because of all the equipment and empty cases hanging around. ha ha and half the time bands are putting their faith in guys who think they can mix a band but don`t have a clue

• Members
the last pub band i was playing with ' date='we didn`t mic things up ,the singer just had a vocal p.a..and the drummer sounded like john bonham ,so i needed a beefy amp . . .[/quote']

There's "beefy" and there's buying a whole steer. 100 Watts is a loud amp for a pub, let alone recording, and that's what we're talking about, a 100 Watt amp plus whatever cab the OP decides to pair it with for recording. If the DSL15C isn't enough amp, there's always the DSL40C. A 40 Watt combo should be more than adequate. Among other things, the JCM800 weighs 20.5 kg/45.2 lbs. by itself and the JCM900 weighs 18.8 kg/41.4 lbs., again just for the head. The DSL40 weighs a fairly portable 22.9 kg/50.5 lbs.

• Members

the op was asking about a 900 and 800 , i own a 900 so i`m just giving an opinion on it . by the way when you play some pubs the carpets the body`s the sweaty atmosphere all soak up sound ,there has being a few times when the amp has been flat out thats when the marshall goes into an whole different dimension.. i don`t know what the problem with the weight is .if you want quality your gonna have to stretch an arm.or you can pick up a fold away sack cart ,have you seen how long jimmy pages arms are .

• Members
the op was asking about a 900 and 800 ' date=' i own a 900 so i`m just giving an opinion on it . by the way when you play some pubs the carpets the body`s the sweaty atmosphere all soak up sound ,there has being a few times when the amp has been flat out thats when the marshall goes into an whole different dimension.. i don`t know what the problem with the weight is .if you want quality your gonna have to stretch an arm.or you can pick up a fold away sack cart ,have you seen how long jimmy pages arms are .[/quote']

The "problem with the weight" is that either head weighs over 40 lbs. and a 1960A or 1960B 4X12 cab weighs 80 lbs. (I'm making an assumption on what cab the OP might use but the 1960A/B is pretty much the traditional Marshall cab.) That's for an amp the OP intends to use for recording. I for one don't want to lug around 120+ lbs. or more of dinosaur when a midrange combo amp will do the job. The difference between 100 Watts and 40 Watts is 4dB with the amp dimed, which is noticeable but not a huge difference. OTOH, the difference between 125 lbs. of amp and 50 lbs. of amp is very noticeable. Quality is not the same thing as quantity.

• Members

i used to have a marshall 4x12 but now i use a matt amp 2x12 with an optional open back ,in my little studio i have a wedge monitor with a 12inch 75 watt celestian speaker . as i said in an earlier post i had a laney GHL 50 watts head, i had no option but to exchange it for a 100 watt version because the 50 watt amp could not stay clean enough at a volume for me to hear it against the rest of the band i don`t care how many db`s the difference was ,in real life the difference was huge ,.in this case the quality is the volume, the 50 watt was poor quality in that situation the 100 watt was good quality ,simple .

• Members

if you are trying to say the 50 watt laney was faulty ,no it wasn`t. maybe those amps are designed to break up and are meant to be played at full wack in a rock situ .but still the 100 watt stayed clean at a good volume and the 50 watt didn`t. don`t start getting personal it shows your argument has flaws. yes a 30 watt morning alarm is deafening

Archived