Goya amp head

Tomm Williams

• Members

Here's a few pics of a new acquisition I have questions about. 1967 Goya Barracuda 75 watt head from a 2-12 piggyback stack they offered very briefly best I can tell. I do not believe Goya actually made these. They were under a parent company that also owned Guild at the same time and it does look a bit similar to my Thunderbass. All I have is the head, should be here next week and going to the shop as it needs work. Anyone know anything about these??? s4WMhJQ.jpgS7Wuq4W.jpgi6mykDR.jpgAcNLoq5.jpg

• Members

Wow that's a unique find.

At first glance the build looks like a Sears/Dan Electro. Couldn't find much on who actually built those heads. Hagstrom which was also a Swedish company made many of their electric guitars. Their amp builds have no similarities however. Guild looks closer from the exterior but not the interior.

Avnet was involved with Goya but by the looks of the build I'd say it was a Japan build. Ace Tone (predecessor to Rolland) made a Rhythm Ace Branded with Goya so they may have been imports assembled in the US.

The Kondur caps were made in Germany. The Cornell-Dubilier could have been made in US or Taiwan. The RMC caps are US made. The resistors all look to be US made. Tube sockets are riveted in place which suggests a factory assembly line build.

Danelectro had its factory in NJ, and the Goya are based out of NY - Goya sold both a combo and a suitcase amp like Silvertone did. Plus the cab designs are so uniquely similar to the Dano - I'd put my money on those amps being manufactured in the Dano factory in NJ.

Dano was trying to get away from relying on Sears and Montgomery Ward as their only clients in the late 60's. I think MCA closing the Dano plant in NJ in the late 60's likely ended the Goya amps as well.

This is all just my best guess. All these equipment companies were bought and sold so many times its hard to know what was going on at any one time. Levin who made the Swedish acoustic guitars changed the name to Goya when he moved to the US. Hershman Musical instruments who owned Goya was based in NY. The electrics seemed to be made by Hagstrom another company based in Sweden. Hagstrom went out of business in 1983 but weren't doing well quite a bit earlier. Goya electrics switched to being made in Japan, and there was a company in Italy pirating the name.

If it is a Dano build, and the circuitry is similar, the power caps play a critical role in power amp section. Not just for hum but tube bias. The Silvertone Twins sounded killer but they have catastrophic failures when the caps go. Given the age I'd definitely replace the power caps before powering it up.

• Moderators

a blast from the past...a guy I knew in HS in NYC had one of these, but the bass version with an 18" speaker, weighed a ton and a b!+c# to move.

I do remember occasionally seeing these, though, back in the day. With the original tower, the head flipped over...there were two double button foot switches, rather than a single four button.

goyaguitars.tripod.com/catalog67_20.htm

You must be the buyer on Reverb, yes?

The Goya trademark got shuffled around quite a bit. I own a Goya classical guitar from the Martin era [~1977/78].

I have seen Goya combo amps from the early 1960s...they make great harmonica amps with the right tube set; 25W into 1x15...and look somewhat like old Supros...so it is possible those were Valco builds?

• Members
a blast from the past...a guy I knew in HS in NYC had one of these, but the bass version with an 18" speaker, weighed a ton and a b!+c# to move.

I do remember occasionally seeing these, though, back in the day. With the original tower, the head flipped over...there were two double button foot switches, rather than a single four button.

goyaguitars.tripod.com/catalog67_20.htm

You must be the buyer on Reverb, yes?

The Goya trademark got shuffled around quite a bit. I own a Goya classical guitar from the Martin era [~1977/78].

I have seen Goya combo amps from the early 1960s...they make great harmonica amps with the right tube set; 25W into 1x15...and look somewhat like old Supros...so it is possible those were Valco builds?

Yes I bought it off Reverb. You wouldn't by chance still be in contact with that HS buddy? I'd love to have the 2X12" cab reproduced with the flip-hinge mechanism but not sure exactly what it looked like.

• Moderators

sadly, no, haven't heard from him since I left NY the last time in 1974...and he had already dumped that amp for an SVT. The Goya Bombadier bass amp didn't have enough 'oomph' to keep up with a loud rock drummer.

I noticed the hinges were removed from that head. I would venture to guess they were partial post hinges so the head could be slipped to one side and removed, but I always saw them flipped up for playing or flipped down for transport, and I never looked closely at the back of the amp...sorry.

The original config [the bass cab was pretty much the same as the 2x12] were over three feet tall, and always looked kind of 'tippy' to me.

• Members
Looking at a Hilgen webpage' date=' there are some models there that the wiring looks very similar.[/quote']

I read the history on Hilgen. Doesn't look like theres a direct connection to the Goya but the article did mention the builder bought his amplifier cabs from a company called Radio Matic in NJ, (HBC-radiomatic ?) I grew up in NJ and there was a ton of electronic manufacturing in NJ back in the day. (its where Edison set up his workshop and favored because it was minutes away from NY where the big investors were)

The cabinets on the Hilgen look to be piggyback fold up designs. Hilgen and his partners worked for Sano and Ampeg and when off to start their own companies. I'm sure they bought allot of their parts locally for those builds. Radiomatic was German owned company (and still is from what I can see). A guy making amps out of his basement would buy parts from his local radio parts store. If some of the caps wound up being German and mixed with American parts it wouldn't be unusual. Those Kondur caps may have come from a company like Radiomatic that imported them.

Hilgen looked like he was only in business for a few years. No mention of any amp building for other companies. Like I said the riveted tube sockets in the Goya amp isn't something you'd do in a basement build unless you bought the chassis with the sockets preinstalled. That's definitely assembly line stuff.

There were a bunch of companies that sold prefab stuff. I used to buy electronic kits back in the 60's, mostly radio gear which I cut my teeth on. Knight, Newark Electronics, Heath kit, Allied Radio, Lafayette had huge mail order catalogs for all kinds of electronic parts, partial kits, full kits etc. Many of those companies were based in North Jersey and NY.

• Members

I suppose it's most likely I'll never reach a definitive answer but its worth trying. The one photo of the cab from the catalog is all J Design has to go on to reproduce the cab but he's pretty darn talented. The hinge section for the cab is still in place so hopefully finding an appropriate mate won't prove too tough. I'm laughing at myself as I've a feeling I'm going to spend more on this than it's probably worth. Regardless, I love odd amps and want to see it restored best I can. I get a kick out of someone dropping by and saying : "what the hell is that?" :D

• Moderators

Tomm, did you get to try it, or is it non-functional? I would, of course, be hesitant with the 2-prong plug, but just to fire it up and check it out?

Also, the 7199 may be an issue. Those tubes have been out of production for decades; I ran into this on an old Gibson Falcon I was fixing a year or so back. I lucked out finding one in my 'old tube' stash, I don't even know of a direct pin-to-pin equivalent, and NOS 7199s are ridiculously expensive, like $70 each, if you can still find them.

IIRC, there is a pentode/triode 'equivalent', but it requires some rewiring of the tube socket....IIRC 6U8A?

Wow, curiosity got the better of me...there is an adapter for like $10, and a 6U8 is about that as well...

https://tubedepot.com/products/6u8-to-7199-adapter

• Members

I bought it as complete but not functioning. It came with two clearly damaged tubes but I see no obvious signs of burned wires or parts, cut wires, mods, etc.....

The seller bought it at an estate sale and didn't seem interested in investigating what might be wrong with it. I guess he just wanted to flip it?

Archived