Mike Matthews Dirt Road Special - EHX guitar amplifier

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

My bandmate purchased something I didn't know existed, an Electro-Harmonix (?) guitar amplifier. It's a pretty minimal solid-state combo amp, 1x12 with a closed-back cab. Top mounted controls like an old tweed Fender amp. Looks to be early to mid 70s vintage. The PCB for the amplifier looks amazingly similar to a Big Muff PCB from the same time period. The three control pots are soldered to the board just like a Big Muff, and it uses the same big black pointer knobs. This amp also has a built-in Small Stone phaser on a separate PC board.

My friend is in the process of cleaning it up, apparently the cabinet is particle board and has water damage, so he's thinking about transplanting the guts into a new cabinet.

• Members

Cool. Looks like they were made starting in '77 or so: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20:the-ol-dirt-road-special-that-is&catid=13:electro-harmonix-articles&Itemid=45. 25 Watts RMS with a Celestion Greenback. I found pics with both black and silver control panels. Which version is this? Any chance of sharing a pic or two? FWIW, until I was in the market for a practice bass amp I never knew Dean Markley made amps either. Just too much gear to keep up. Best of luck to your bandmate. :thu:

• Members

It had a silver control panel. Yes, it had the Celestion speaker too, I figured that was a non-OEM "upgrade" but apparently not. My bandmate posted the pics on Facebook, and now they've scrolled off into FB never-never land. I'll see if I can get him to send me copies of the pictures.

I used to own TWO Dean Markley guitar amps, they were hybrids, SS power with a little 12AX7 preamp tube. Supposedly the amps were designed by B.K. Butler of Tube Driver pedal fame. The dirt channel sounded great, the clean sound awful to me, but I learned it's because the tone controls were apparently "flat" in their middle position. The cleans sounded better with their mids scooped out like a Fender does. I've since sold both my Dean Markley amps.

Archived