Tube combo amp... Rivera, Mesa?

Ollomol

• Members

I'm looking for a combo amp to match with my PRS. My 1st options are the Rivera Quiana Studio 2x12 and the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special 1x12, both used. LS Classic 2x12 can be included on the list too.

I play mainly blues and rock, jazz, country and funk too. I guess I'm more a vintage sound guy but sometimes I like to get into a more modern sound, so I want to find good tone but also some versatility.

There are a lot of pros relating to sound (especially clean), but on the cons side I've seen some complains about their distorsion channels. For I can see, is usual to replace tubes and/or speakers, even they tell is a must for the Quiana (I could go this way since I can get it Cheaper than the LS).

I'm thinking about how they work at low volumes, since it will be my only amp and will be used for home practice too. Quiana can run 50w Class A/B or 30w Class A, LS Special can switch between 5/15/30w (Classic 10/50/100, I guess is too much). Both are weighty, so I have to take on that my back will suffer anyway when it comes the time to move it.

I know they are different animals and probably any of both amps will be a right choice, but I'd like to hear some opinions here.

Many thanks in advance!

• Members

When I was in the same boat as you I had those two options and a Bogner Shiva in my list and I went for the Bogner. Both of those are also great (which is why they were in my short list). For me it was the more "Marshall" sound that did it and I've loved that amp since I got it.

I'm looking for a combo amp to match with my PRS. My 1st options are the Rivera Quiana Studio 2x12 and the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special 1x12, both used. LS Classic 2x12 can be included on the list too.

I play mainly blues and rock, jazz, country and funk too. I guess I'm more a vintage sound guy but sometimes I like to get into a more modern sound, so I want to find good tone but also some versatility.

If it wasn't for your low volume requirements, I'd suggest checking out a 50W PRS Sonzera. They are a little touchy at low volumes, but outside of that, it sounds like it would be right up your alley. And you could get one new for what you'd pay for either of those other two amps used... possibly with enough left over for a small practice amp too... :idea::)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to favor the rivera out of the two you mentioned and also suggest a rivera fandango and a bogner shiva. If you're after a more classic sound then I'd go rivera over mesa. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either.

• Members

There are a lot of pros relating to sound (especially clean), but on the cons side I've seen some complains about their distorsion channels. For I can see, is usual to replace tubes and/or speakers, even they tell is a must for the Quiana (I could go this way since I can get it Cheaper than the LS).

I'm thinking about how they work at low volumes, since it will be my only amp and will be used for home practice too. Quiana can run 50w Class A/B or 30w Class A, LS Special can switch between 5/15/30w (Classic 10/50/100, I guess is too much). Both are weighty, so I have to take on that my back will suffer anyway when it comes the time to move it.

I know they are different animals and probably any of both amps will be a right choice, but I'd like to hear some opinions here.

Many thanks in advance!

I have had many Mesa amps, but not the Lone Star, but I have test driven it when it came out. I only have one Mesa combo amp left. The reason I sold them was, they ain't light. The Riviera I tired was the Clubster 25 watter. Good amp.

I would absolutely pick the Mesa amp over the Rivera amp. Mesa test drive there amps with a PRS Guitar and an Anderson. It's probably a great match for the classic tones you are looking for. Plus you can switch it down in watts.

I don't have back issue, but bugger my back up doing something dumb. It's all better now. I had a Mesa Tremloverb combo that weighed in at 98 lbs. It was the best amp I have ever owned, or probably ever will.

It had wheels on it, but you still have to lift it in to the car. I almost buckled every time I picked it up.

The only Mesa I kept was a Mesa Nomand 55 1x12 combo. It was not there best seller and most spent the extra $$$ on a Mark III. For a 1x12 combo it's a beast to lift.

Trust me on the Mesa, it rocks the classic tones and twangs too.

• Members

I live next door to Sweetwater and played both recently. My take is I love the lonestar but Boogie loads the LS clean in most of its channel switchers now. The Rivera is unique and rich sounding. Of resale is an issue the boogie is a better bet. The boogie cannot be discounted but I think the Rivera can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I live next door to Sweetwater and played both recently. My take is I love the lonestar but Boogie loads the LS clean in most of its channel switchers now. The Rivera is unique and rich sounding. Of resale is an issue the boogie is a better bet. The boogie cannot be discounted but I think the Rivera can.

I'm glad I don't live next to Sweetwater. Well not so much me, but my wife is sure glad we don't. :D

No discounts on Mesa gear is the rule.

Archived