H&K Grandmeister 36

MesaMonster

• Members

Just got this little beauty for $500 including the foot pedal.

From everything that I read, I changed the tubes. I put EHX EL84 in the power section and Sovtek 12AX7 in the preamp section. The amp sounds great now. At first, it was very toppy but i was told that then tend to be that way. The amp comes with built in effects which are not bad. I am also looking at the Boss MS-5 so that I can set up loops and control the amp. The amp is fully MIDI capable. Do you think that the MS-5 is overkill? Boss also has the ES-5 which is just a switcher.

c3f7f9809240b7ba1b8fdf6bd82b9dfc.JPG.21261b101dc37ce014a40e308caa4d1d.JPG

• Members

Update: This amp just keeps surprising me. Lots of great sounds and the effects are really good. I have been trying to see how I can use my pedal board with this amp but I am finding I don't needs as many pedals. The other really cool feature is that it is completely MIDI controlled. I can plug in my iPad and load or create presets. Like I had mentioned before, you want to change the tubes. They come with Chinese crap tubes. Keep them in case but you will not want to play with them.

I think that Boss switcher would be a nice addition.

I like H&K amps I've tried, but have never owned one other than those little half rack recording preamps they used to make. I had a couple of those, but could never find the one I really wanted, which was the Blues Master / Crunch Master.

• Members

I am torn between the Boss MS-3 (multi effects switcher) or the ES-5 (just a switcher). They are both the same price. The H&K is loaded with effects plus it is totally MIDI capable. I like the MS-3 because it is small but you only get three loops. If you want to use the 4cm, you lose a loop. The ES-5 gives you 5 loops but no built in effects. It is also bigger. The thing that I like about both of these devices is the MIDI and routing. Because of the variety of music that I play in church, I have many different dirt pedals to go between. This would be a great way to organize everything. Plus, I would miss another solo because of having to tap dance.I wonder, could I use Cubase to switch the effects for me.

Archived