No announcement yet.

H&K Grandmeister 36

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&K Grandmeister 36

Just got this little beauty for $500 including the foot pedal.

From everything that I read, I changed the tubes. I put EHX EL84 in the power section and Sovtek 12AX7 in the preamp section. The amp sounds great now. At first, it was very toppy but i was told that then tend to be that way. The amp comes with built in effects which are not bad. I am also looking at the Boss MS-5 so that I can set up loops and control the amp. The amp is fully MIDI capable. Do you think that the MS-5 is overkill? Boss also has the ES-5 which is just a switcher.
    H&K Grandmeister 36
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hughs and Kettner Grandmeister 36
    Mesa Boogie Road King II
    Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
    Fender FSR Standard Black
    Schecter Hellraiser Black Cherry
    Ibanez RG570 Blue
    Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
    Gretsch G5120 Orange

Boss MS-5? I googled up an MS-3 and an ES-5 but I didn't get ant results for an MS-5

Comment

Sorry, my bad. I meant MS-3. I think the S threw me off and looked like a 5.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Mesa Boogie Road King II
      Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
      Ibanez RG570 Blue
      Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
      Gretsch G5120 Orange

Comment

No opinion on the effects but Congratulations and Happy New Amp Day. Looks like you got a great deal too.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Update: This amp just keeps surprising me. Lots of great sounds and the effects are really good. I have been trying to see how I can use my pedal board with this amp but I am finding I don't needs as many pedals. The other really cool feature is that it is completely MIDI controlled. I can plug in my iPad and load or create presets. Like I had mentioned before, you want to change the tubes. They come with Chinese crap tubes. Keep them in case but you will not want to play with them.
          Mesa Boogie Road King II
          Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
          Ibanez RG570 Blue
          Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
          Gretsch G5120 Orange

Comment

Glad to hear you're liking your amp. The guy who sold me my Roland had a H&K that he liked a lot. As for the Chinese tubes, I suspect most companies cut corners somewhere unless you're buying a boutique amp.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Yep. Fortunately, I had a bunch of tubes left over so it didn't kill me to put all new tubes in.
              Mesa Boogie Road King II
              Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
              Ibanez RG570 Blue
              Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
              Gretsch G5120 Orange

Comment

I think that Boss switcher would be a nice addition.

I like H&K amps I've tried, but have never owned one other than those little half rack recording preamps they used to make. I had a couple of those, but could never find the one I really wanted, which was the Blues Master / Crunch Master.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I am torn between the Boss MS-3 (multi effects switcher) or the ES-5 (just a switcher). They are both the same price. The H&K is loaded with effects plus it is totally MIDI capable. I like the MS-3 because it is small but you only get three loops. If you want to use the 4cm, you lose a loop. The ES-5 gives you 5 loops but no built in effects. It is also bigger. The thing that I like about both of these devices is the MIDI and routing. Because of the variety of music that I play in church, I have many different dirt pedals to go between. This would be a great way to organize everything. Plus, I would miss another solo because of having to tap dance.I wonder, could I use Cubase to switch the effects for me.
                  Mesa Boogie Road King II
                  Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
                  Ibanez RG570 Blue
                  Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
                  Gretsch G5120 Orange

Comment

Working...
                  X