Seeking owners of Gretsch Stereo King amps !!

Tomm Williams

• Members

My apologies if anyone notices this same request in multiple forums but I'm having ZERO success in finding anyone who owns one of these besides me and one fella in the UK.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of one of these amps? I am looking to compare date codes and such as mine is a bit unusual.

Help!!!!!

• Members

Gretsch made several stereo amps but they weren't overly popular or well known amps. You're going to have a hard time nailing the dates down unless the Gretsch site has some info. Guitars are mono and I cant think of a single stereo effect made at that early date. There wasn't a big need for stereo in 1962. Not sure if the Rickenbacker's were making the Rick O Sound guitars yet but that might have been one amp they'd work with. I suppose the selling point was to have one head and 2 cabs to allow a guitar/guitar or bassist play together.

Gretsch%20Stereo%20King.jpg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

• Members

I have that same catalog from '62 which was the only year this amp was sold. All the date codes within my amp are from '59. The guy in the UK actually owns two and his have '61 date codes which seems expected. I'm working on the restoration of mine as it was missing one cab but the head is now fully operational again.

There are some other interesting features I'll speak to in a future thread as I'm still researching the details surrounding this amp. I'm just hoping to find a few others for comparison.

Archived