Champion 20 or Mustang 1 v2

QUADE_MCLANE

• Members

I'm basically the typical knocked up Nun type doing vocals and nothing fancy electric acoustic rhythm with an on-board Prefix Plus I installed. The Champion 20 is $99 and the Mustang 1 v2 is $119. Having played neither which, in needed opinions would produce an acoustic sound better just using reverb and maybe a little chorus sometimes? I'm guessing the C 20 "voice" would be set to "tweed" and the M 1 v2 would either be on the "65 twin" or the "57 deluxe" to get an acoustic sound, I don't know. I do know either should sound better than the 10 watt Troubadour or straight into the mixer choices I currently have.

thanks in advance for any enlightenment,

mclane

• Members

Are you trying to amplify an acoustic guitar or make an electric sound "acoustic"? If it's the former, neither. Electric amps aren't designed to amplify acoustic guitars accurately. A used bass amp is a good choice on a budget, although it won't have effects and you'll need to start saving for pedals. Peavey gear is cheap and reliable. If you want to make an electric sound acoustic, a modelling amp like the Mustang might do it. My Roland Cube 80XL has an "acoustic" model that's designed for that purpose, although I haven't tried it.

• Members

Thanks to both of you for the answers. No, I have an Acoustic with a Fishman Prefix Plus and a Martin under-the-saddle transducer I installed 10 years ago.

The Bass/Keyboard player (a hick version of Geddy Lee) has given me GR 5 and unlimited use of Ableton Live Suite 940 but I would need a USB audio interface like maybe the Focusright Scarlett Solo Gen ll ($100) and then I would have to use the onboard Realtek to get it to the PA. I could be very wrong about DAW type knowledge. So then I thought bypass the learning curve/headaches by spending the $100 on a new amp and be done.

Wrong.

I sing and play basic rhythm and I'm thinking a DAW is way overkill unless it will finger-pick or magically turn me into a person with talent and coordination so I could play Lead.

But, I think more info is needed before I can even make a semi intelligent decision. The bass player says I should use GR 5 and Ableton simultaneously. I have a brand new unused Asus S/Tooth z97 Mark ll MB and 16GB's of DDR3 if need be. Someone gave me the MB for $0.00 and I already have 2 DT's and an x201 TPad so I've never fired up the Asus..

thanks again for setting me straighter, I would have bought the amp on your word only. No smoke up my skirt needed.

mclane

• Members

I agree, the DAW thing is a big hassle and having a laptop and interface at a gig where things tend to get banged around when you play isn't a good idea.

I've played acoustic/electric martins through normal guitar amps/combos and gotten excellent results. The preamp built into the guitar helped a lot getting the sound dialed up. An actual acoustic amp will give you the most accurate results sounding like an actual acoustic guitar but a combo can sound pretty goo, especially if it has a line out for connecting to a PA.

I think both of those guitars are underpowered for an acoustic guitar at a gig and you could do much better. Both are practice amps not serious gig stuff but it does come down to the size of the gig and band.

Acoustic guitar amps normally sound best because they have a flat frequency response. They don't roll off the highs and lows like a regular amp and its speaker would.

I'm not sure why you aren't simply using an active direct box designed for acoustic guitars. They are inexpensive and give you all the flexibility your need playing through a PA. These V-Tones sound great playing through any kind of PA. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADI21?product_id=ADI21&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core&adgroup=Accessories%2520-%2520Audio%2520Tools&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=54989263441&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0trHoery1AIVxLfACh2ldw9OEAQYAiABEgKs2_D_BwE

What can sound fantastic is simply plugging into an active monitor and using it as a stage amp. My buddy has a pair of these and it has more then enough power for playing live. The guitars preamp should be enough to drive it, if you need more power and control just used the V-Tone before it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1220D?product_id=F1220D&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core&adgroup=Live%2520Sound%2520%26%2520Lighting%2520-%2520Monitoring%2520-%2520Other&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=55678058761&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrjExury1AIVXrnACh0yZw1KEAQYASABEgIutPD_BwE

• Moderators

If you just need on-stage monitoring, they might be adequate, but won't sound very good, IMHO; as a stage amp neither of those amps would have cut through. Twenty solid state watts won't go far.

I think the idea of using an active DI, or even passive plus some inexpensive tonal assistance like a TC Body Rez, would be a simple solution to go into the PA, and, as noted, relatively inexpensive.

If it were me, I'd look for a used acoustic amp like a Fishman Loudbox...something voiced for acoustic guitar with enough wattage to be heard on stage and beyond. But that is going to cost quite a bit more than the two amps you were considering.

Not knowing where you are playing or in what kind of group hinders my ability to make any more meaningful suggestions.

• Members

If you're in the US and if you can bump your budget up to $150+ you can probably find something used that will work. Crate, Behringer, Acoustic should be possibilities. Look for something with, say 60 Watts solid state: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Acoustic-Combo-Guitar-Amplifiers.gc#pageName=used-page&N=18364+1076+1084&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&Ns=pLH&postalCode=27650&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD.

• Members

Any "Acoustic Amp" I remember seeing was a 'combo' unit and the cheapest 1 or 2 lack reverb or any other effects. Maybe Fender's acoustic line is not for happy hour solo's at the Mexican Rest. just kidding

I'm from Ft Worth and I just remembered, I had taught myself baby chords and could barely play and sing without looking at the neck. Barely. I bought a Fishman Loudbox either a 60 or a 100 from Ross Industries assembly plant in Ft Worth. (discontinued or closeout, really cheap) Seems like it had 2 metal cones behind the grill. Kind of looked like Madonna's metal bra. I ran my guitar and vocals through it at the Water Gardens downtown. I had done naked (paid rehearsals) at the Stockyards Hotel Bar/Rest, (and tourist trap) Saddles for bar stools, ceiling fans off of a long communal fan belt, a Lady played an upright see-through piano with handed out song sheets for sing-alongs etc ...

You walked among the crowd naked, playing and singing. All the perks of an Elvis movie except Elvis wasn't singing over a piano, a guitar, eaters, drinkers and sing alongers. Needed experience (and perks) but, not my favorite type of venue.

I heard "cut-through" and other phrases/buzz words that are usually associated with people who have talent and coordination like Lead players, Fiddle or Steel players etc ...

I still play baby chords after 25 years or so, feel like a multitasker when I play and sing at the same time without falling down. Except for the Loudbox (probably pawned it or something) I had a Backstage Plus (35 watts?) a Frontman etc ... and always mic'ed them to my PA or TS'ed straight in. I have a Yamaha PA and use a separate Alesis 4 ch mixer amp for my own Monitor setup. For the bigger (grocery store sized clubs) we tri-amp with some "W" cabinets but half the (Country) places are so small it broke me from setting up center stage. Being directly in front of a drummer night after night is not good. I don't use "in ear" and between the drummer and cranking up my monitor(s) to get over him has caused some deafness, besides the normal high freq/older age thing. Bass players often feel over looked so, letting him center stage will boost his morale and make up for constantly telling him to get his big clodhoppers off of my Mogamis.

I've never used a DI box/combo as linked to. I figured the Prefix Plus I installed in 2006 to my guitar was better. (not the DI part)

What started this was not having a spring reverb to run my acoustic through. So somebody gave me GR 5 and the bass player gave me Ableton Live. It would offer any amp, reverb, chorus etc for a decent $100 audio interface.

Has anybody ever tried the $100 Hot Springs Reverb Kit?

I can't afford a new $300+ decent Acoustic style amp The cheaper priced ones have no reverb and/or other inherent problems but $100 gets "virtually" anything, unless I can find something used that trips my trigger.

Thanks for the help and the links.

mclane

fetch?filedataid=125486

• Members

If you're still in or near Ft.Worth and it's still available take a look at this: https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/6203472285.html. 150 Watts solid state, three channels with reverb including a mike input if you need one. Yes, it's a keyboard amp but it will work fine with an acoustic guitar and it should be plenty loud. A heavy sucker (a tad over 80 lbs.) but $150 OBO. Here are the specs: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/121453/Peavey-Kb-300.html?page=6#manual.

If that's too heavy, check out this one: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/6198460129.html. 40 Watts X 2 solid state with reverb and chorus. 43 lbs. $175 non negotiable.

Archived