Boss 50 watt Katana

AlamoJoe

• Members

Ok...I've been reading about these amps since before they came out and have been following threads on this forum and on TGP.....

But I'd like final opinions from the folks here...I've been here for a few years and found the info and op's on all things musical from here at HC to be what I consider the final dope on things. I'm thinking about spending the $200 for one of these...Plus I'd like op's on the footswitch options. I don't play out, just at home, so the ability to cut the power down is really appealing.

I'm having issues using software amps in DAW's...Brain issues mostly I guess.....My 70's era Fender Super Reverb is tired and loud, and my 15w Roland just ain't doin' it for me.

I sold my pedal collection off a few years ago and the only pedal I have is a Boss ME-50 multieffect unit...Which is cool..I like it ok...But this amp also has built in effects as well.

Any of you folks own one of these Katana's? Are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

FWIW, the Katana series is supposed to be the successors to the Roland Cubes. I have a Cube 80XL that I like and I'd presume the modelling and effects would be at least as good on the newer amps. If your Roland is a Cube, assume the Katana will sound similar. I haven't seen any really bad reviews of these but I've seen a few comments that the footswitch doesn't work with the Katana 50, something to bear in mind.

• Members

I'd considered that comparison myself(Cube vs Katana) But your comment really made it strike home...You may be right. My 15w Cube is pretty bare bones though...Just distortion effects onboard it....I guess i need to rethink this whole thing.

Thanks a lot for the input, I appreciate it :staticphil:

• Members

I didn't mean to imply that they're the same. As you mention, the Cube 15 is pretty basic. The Katana 50, OTOH, has five models and a boatload of effects. Honestly, I thought the Cube 15 was closer to my Cube 80XL so your Roland and the Katana aren't as close as I thought. But if you like what the Cube 15 does, you'll like the Katana 50 even more. Personally, I'm primarily an acoustic guy who plays in a praise band. Sometimes, though, a song calls for an electric and that's when I break out the Schecter and the Roland.

• Members

I own a 100 watt Boss Katana Combo. I am a working Musician in The D.C. area.

I dumped a Fender Twin Amp for my 100 watt Katana. Sure the Twin was nice but heavy.

Used Line 6 gear for 10 years. The Boss Katana does not sound like Line 6. Katana is S.S. Line 6 is digital. These amps are a HUGE BANG for the buck. Conservatively the loudest S.S. amp I've ever heard. My Katana steps down to 50 or 5 watts. All the tones are splendid. The distortion tones are VERY impressive. Only downside: the footswitch was on back order. I found on EBAY. I used this amp on a gig a week ago...NICE. Had to get rid of the Fender Twin Amp. It weighed 90lbs. My Katana weighs 45lbs....HUGE DIFFERENCE. I do Reggae gigs & Classic Rock gigs. My primary amp is a 100 watt PRS Archon w/ matching PRS 2x12 Cabinet. Sometimes I don't feel like taking the PRS Archon. I take the Katana instead. This amp REALLY holds it's own. If this is the future of S.S. amps, I'm in shock. Try this amp & prepare to be blown away........seriously.

• Members
. . . The Boss Katana does not sound like Line 6. Katana is S.S. Line 6 is digital. . . .

Most Line 6 amps are SS, especially at the lower end. The DT models are tube. And the effects on both Line 6 and the Katana are digital. One reason they don't sound the same is differences in modelling.

• Members
I own a 100 watt Boss Katana Combo. I am a working Musician in The D.C. area.

I dumped a Fender Twin Amp for my 100 watt Katana. Sure the Twin was nice but heavy.

Used Line 6 gear for 10 years. The Boss Katana does not sound like Line 6. Katana is S.S. Line 6 is digital. These amps are a HUGE BANG for the buck. Conservatively the loudest S.S. amp I've ever heard. My Katana steps down to 50 or 5 watts. All the tones are splendid. The distortion tones are VERY impressive. Only downside: the footswitch was on back order. I found on EBAY. I used this amp on a gig a week ago...NICE. Had to get rid of the Fender Twin Amp. It weighed 90lbs. My Katana weighs 45lbs....HUGE DIFFERENCE. I do Reggae gigs & Classic Rock gigs. My primary amp is a 100 watt PRS Archon w/ matching PRS 2x12 Cabinet. Sometimes I don't feel like taking the PRS Archon. I take the Katana instead. This amp REALLY holds it's own. If this is the future of S.S. amps, I'm in shock. Try this amp & prepare to be blown away........seriously.

Now maybe I'm back on the boat...Tell me, is it a proprietary footswitch? Does it just switch channels? Info?

• Members

The Boss GA-FC Footswitch switches channels, effects & activates a boost function. Had to order this footswitch from Guitar Center. It was on back order. Now I understand it's STILL on back order. That's why I bought mine on EBAY. The Boss Katana Amp is useless without a footswitch. The demand on these amps has been so high, the footswitches can't keep up.

• Members

If you read the manual there are several pedal options. The GA-SL is latching and will only switch channels.

You can get a GA-FC.

fetch?filedataid=125237

It lets you switch Tone Chanel 1~4, Switch effects between Booster/Mod, Delay/Fx, Reverb, turn them on and off, set delay time/tap tempo, and turn the effects loop on and off. These would obviously be momentary switches not latching.

You can also run expression pedals or a midi controller pedal too.

• Members
Here's a screen capture from the Katana manual. You'll notice that the 50 only has a jack for a latching channel footswitch. The jack for the GA-FC is missing:

fetch?filedataid=125242

I'd noticed that when looking at the 360 view at Sweetwater...I think the latching footswitch is the only option, plus there is no effects loop on the 50w model....I can't envision a scenario where I'd need 100 watts however...That and it's not the low money like the 50 is.

I really appreciate all the feed back on this query fellas...Y'all are just the best!

Archived