Vox ac10c1

Jayguitar

• Members

Vox amps are built in China and have Chinese tubes.

First thing I'd say is stay away from Vintage tubes. They haven't made tubes in the US for several decades and anything you buy will be used. You have no way of knowing how many hours are on them and most have been removed from old Hi Fi gear and resold as unused - Why> - Because people are stupid. They're convinced the US made are the best sounding tubes and will pay outrageous prices to buy them and the pirates are having a field day ripping off people selling used tubes or taking clones and rebranding them.

Your amp uses 12AX7 and EL84 tubes. Its also a small combo where the tubes see allot of vibration and become microphonic before they actually wear out. I think most Vox owners who have EL84 tubes change tubes every 6~12 months depending on how much use the amps get. The power tubes sound great but are short lived. The preamp tubes are much more durable.

As to what brand is best you'll simply need to try some out and see if its a step up or down. There are many options. For the Preamp 12AX7 tubes I been using the Electro Harmonix. You cant beat the price and the ratings match most boutique tubes. They are very low noise and you'll immediately hear a nice boost in volume and clarity. JJ's in comparison are mediocre at best. They don't have the top boost the EH do and they're tone has mostly midrange. They are durable but If anything, a combo has too much mids because of its small cab size and would benefit from a wider response tube.

There are some others that have similar responses. The Black Sable and Mullard are supposed to be good. Tung Sol sound good but I wouldn't recommend them for a combo because that aren't durable and become microphonic. Telefunken are supposed to sound good in Vox amps. I probably wouldn't use Sovtek unless I really needed to make an amp sound darker and I'd try a different speaker first.

As far as the best EL84 tubes, Ei EL84 are unquestionably the most 'jangly' tubes for a Vox. http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Other_brands_OEM_Tubes_Powertubes_Pentodes/EI_EL84_6BQ5_Elektronska_Industrija_Yugoslavia_569

If you want to try something different I'd try the EH for preamp and possibly Mullard for the power tubes. They are supposed to sound slightly fuller sounding but you have to listen for it.

Archived