Question About Using 1/2 Power Feature On A Tube Amp

Old Fart Rocker

• Members

I got a Marshall DSL 40C last Christmas and absolutely love the amp. I'm finding that I really like running the amp on 1/2 power. Allows me to crank up the amp a little without being too loud. I just realized I've been using it in the 1/2 power mode exclusively for the past few months. My question is, does running a tube amp in 1/2 power mode cause any long term problems? The amp is running fine and sounds great. This is the first amp I've owned that has a 1/2 power option and I want to be sure I'm not doing any damage to the amp by running it 1/2 power most of the time. Thanks!

• Members

The switch changes how the tubes are configured. The triode tubes have a control grid/signal input, and a plate/signal out, and a cathode.

A pentode adds two more components, a screen grid and a suppressor grid which make the tube more efficient and increase power output. In Pentode mode, the screen runs off a separate DC power tap which is more efficient

With pentode/triode switching, the grids are effectively removed from the circuit in triode mode, reducing the efficiency and dropping the power output roughly in half.

You wont have any issues, just be sure to change your tubes when they need it and you'll be fine.

I have two amps with this feature, and old 50W Sound City head and a 65W Music Man. Never had a problem with half power modes, not that I use it that much. The sound city sounds better then the Music Man in half power/Triode mode. The Sound City has the same kind of tone stack as the Marshall does so it remains bright. The Music man has more of a Fender tone plus its a Hybrid, SS preamp and power tubes. It gets muddy in half power mode and looses all its kick so I don't use it in that mode much. The amp has a master volume and sounds better at full power with the master turned down compared to the half power and master turned up.

Archived